The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
Tele's have always been on the treble side of tone Taylorman. The Strat has a much broader range of sounds IMO. I love the way either guitar plays but the Strat will be more of an all around guitar where as the Tele is a bit more specialized. If you're looking for a sharper, cutting sound then the Tele is your axe.

Jim B
I'm not so sure I'd say that as an owner of both. My Tele neck pickup is warmer and more jazzy than my Strat, and my Strat bridge pickup will out sharp the Tele if the treble isn't cut back.

The big difference is Teles will (not always or have to) twang and Strats will (not always or have to) quack. The 2 and 4 position on the Strat or inbetween on an older 3-way gets the Strat quack. Think Robert Cray for some quack, but one better listen to Ed Bickert, Scotty Anderson or Ted Greene, Don Rich, Redd Volkaert, Jimmy Page and Muddy Waters before thinking a Tele is anything less than extremely versatile.

I suggest playing (testing) the electrics one is interested in with the same or similar amps and similar settings and listening to the pickups and tone changes before trying to narrow it down.

Both would be my answer if pushed because I started with a Strat, got my Tele, and got a better Strat later.

Gave fun with it all.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
I'm actually looking at a barely used 2007 American Deluxe Tele in the aged cherry finish. It's gorgeous. The guy doesn't know what pickups it has thought. The new Teles comes with the Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups. Does anyone know if the 2007 Deluxe Teles came with the same pickups?
I believe the SCNs are stacked humbuckers same as in a Strat. I don't know if the S1 switch is exactly like a humbucker with coil tap, but the results are kind of the same.

I've played the Deluxe Tele with 6 saddle bridge and it's nice, but my Tele is old school 3 saddle with single coils and my Strat is the Am. Dlx. Ash with SCN + S1.

Just keep some $ there for a tube amp with reverb tank and a classic analog pedal or too!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 AM

One of the stupidest things I've ever done was when I sold my '99 Inca Silver American Standard Telecaster. It's already been said here, but I'll say it too: People have got the Tele all wrong. It's bassier than a Strat and very versatile. With nothing but a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, I could go from Springsteen to Muddy Waters to Clapton - even to Angus Young just by twisting some knobs and flipping some switches. I shouldn't have sold the amp either. It was an absolutely perfect setup. You should definitely snag a Hot Rod Deluxe, no matter which guitar you get.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I love Fenders and I have one of each (Tele and Strat). My strat has 10 pickup combos (it is HSS with push/pull pot for parallel and series combinations for lots of sounds. I also have a Graphtech Ghost piezo pickup system mounted in bridge for acoustic tones. A VERY versatile guitar.
However, my new Tele (50s classic) with upgraded pups is getting most of the play time the last few weeks. Love the neck and I just get some great tones out of this tele. Mine has texas special in neck right now and humbucker in bridge.

They are all good, but I LOVE the look of that American Dlx in aged cherry....luscious
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Our praise band has gone electric and I an using a old 70's les paul custom. I think it is just a more pleasing sound. There is a reason Fender put a gibson humbucker pickup in the bridge position. I believe Clapton has special pickups in his Fender to give him more of a bite. I could never understand Fender over a les paul but I guess that is a timeless debate.
Steve
It is just a matter a preference. What is the point of bringing up this argument?? It really has absolutely nothing to do with what they guy is asking. Electric guitar is much simpler than acoustic. A change in pickups can do wonders. Get a body that you like, and is confortable to play and that you like the basic sounds of. For a strat, listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn do "little wing." A les paul will never sound like that. If you like Jimmy page, a strat will never sound like that, etc.. You get the picture. It's about basic sounds. Pick what you like and go for it, don't get caught up in which is better. It is all about preference, and price ultimately. You can always upgrade electronics later... Happy hunting.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
It is just a matter a preference. What is the point of bringing up this argument?? It really has absolutely nothing to do with what they guy is asking. Electric guitar is much simpler than acoustic. A change in pickups can do wonders. Get a body that you like, and is confortable to play and that you like the basic sounds of. For a strat, listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn do "little wing." A les paul will never sound like that. If you like Jimmy page, a strat will never sound like that, etc.. You get the picture. It's about basic sounds. Pick what you like and go for it, don't get caught up in which is better. It is all about preference, and price ultimately. You can always upgrade electronics later... Happy hunting.
Very true. I'll confess....the main reason I started looking at Teles is because someone made a post saying that Paul Baloche's electric play (Ben Gowell) uses Teles. I really like the sound of his guitar on all of Baloche's songs. So, I went and played a Tele, and it played great. I was kinda set on the Taylors, but if the Tele played great, and the sound I like is coming from a Tele, I should probably buy a Tele.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM

I'm a Tele guy, but I find a Strat to be a better fit when I go from acoustic to electric. Besides covering more ground than the Tele will, the "roundness" of the sound fits my ears better after a set of acoustic material, not to mention the flexability factor.

My Tele's all demand a different technique than any of my other guitars ... and I'll always gravitate to them, but the Strat is just more functional.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I probably would've never even considered a Tele if I wouldn't have asked for help here on the forum.

Anyway, I ordered a new American Deluxe Tele in the aged cherry finish today. We have 6% tax here, but I got the guitar and the upgraded case, which is the same case as the high end customs, out the door for just barely over my budget. Most of you know my what my budget was, so you know I got a pretty good deal. It's only about $200 more than a used one, but I get a better case, a warranty, and the service of a local guitar shop. So, I'm pretty excited about it. In the back of my mind I still think about that Taylor Solidbody Classic though. It was cheaper and I liked the looks of it better, but by buying the Tele, I have options for different pickups should I decide to try something different. Plus, Fender knows electrics and Taylor knows acoustics, and I wasn't sure about buying a company's first shot at electrics. I guess I don't need to justify my decision though....LOL. The Tele should be great.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
In the back of my mind I still think about that Taylor Solidbody Classic though.
Congratulations. I don't think you'll have any regrets because a few I know and respect also played the Taylor and it didn't say take me home. Don't forget that you'll be getting the six saddle model and that should give you any setup precision you may need even though some will swear by the 3 saddle. I think you should be happy. I have and have had a number of guitars now and my Tele gives me some of the best moments I have playing.

Now you need a good buy on a HRD or black face amp and of course join tdpri.com!

Enjoy it and do so in good health!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:42 PM

Great choice Doug! Those are fine guitars.
Glad you got just what you wanted
Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM

I own both as well.
My Tele is an American made Nashville B bender.
This guitar can rock with the best of them.
Its all in the hands of the player, right?
Welcome to the world of Telecasters... take a visit to
the Telecaster forum.
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Taylorman22! A fine choice indeed. When do you get it? We won't rest here until we see pics of you with your new Tele. And yes come join us over at http://www.tdpri.com/
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 AM

Congrats on the tele. Any of your top choices would have been great guitars.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM

Well, the shop called their Fender rep and they have it in stock, so it should be here in a week. Actually, a week at the latest. I'm hoping it will be here by the end of the week. I will post pics as soon as I get it!
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Thumbs up You've made the right choice!

Quote:
Well, the shop called their Fender rep and they have it in stock, so it should be here in a week. Actually, a week at the latest. I'm hoping it will be here by the end of the week. I will post pics as soon as I get it!
Can't wait to see the pics! And just in case you haven't been invited, lol, check out: http://www.tdpri.com/
...and say, "hello"! There are many Tele "nuts" that are more than willing in giving you advice on how mod your Tele!!
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars