The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Default My new Taylor T5

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy this site. I did order my new custom Taylor T5 C (Black). I'm a lefty so it may take 2-3 weeks before I get it. Just wanted to share the joy of GAS with my fellow addicts.

I plan on adding a D-tar Wavelength to it. So I'm sure I will need some advise since I basicly do not know what I am doing. lol

Have a blessed Easter weekend Everyone!

~Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Congrats, love my 12'er T5C2, watch the dvd when your guitar gets there for some starting points on the learning curve, it'll take a bit to get used to all the things it can do. I have a blast with mine, oh, don't be shy cranking the knobs in different settings it has a world of extremes to play with.

Like any amplified guitar it ain't gonna sound acoustic through an amp, you can get close though, (most acoustics only get close to sounding acoustic, unless they're mic'd with some real good gear), With enough pedals and boxes you can probably get close to any electric sound you want too. The nice thing about the T5 line (IMHO) is the fit/finish and effortless playability, top notch instrument, you'll love it.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks Michael! I cant wait to get it. I have a really nice Shure mic and a Genz Benz Shannadoh amp. But I'm gonna install the D-Tar wavelegth and get the Mamobear pre amp also. I will let everone know what my results are. I really like the idea of having a decent sounding electric acoustic that is easy to play. I have a bad shoulder so it will be easy to wrap my arm around the body.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbasile777 View Post
Thanks Michael! I cant wait to get it. I have a really nice Shure mic and a Genz Benz Shannadoh amp. But I'm gonna install the D-Tar wavelegth and get the Mamobear pre amp also. I will let everone know what my results are. I really like the idea of having a decent sounding electric acoustic that is easy to play. I have a bad shoulder so it will be easy to wrap my arm around the body.
I found I love the sound of acoustic strings on mine, they come with electric because the pick ups respond to the alloy in the strings better according to Taylor, but there is no lack of response I can tell with the acoustic strings.
If you plan on using them though, order the acoustic compensated saddle for it, or if it's coming from Taylor have theme slap one on and ship the standard too, just to have both. Along the same line there are what is called "swing" strings or jazz strings that have nickle content that should be an alternative too. The adventure begins, I'm excited for you too
Kids got the others

Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Hey, I asked it they would put an acoustic saddle on my T5, but Taylor will not do it accourding to the dealer. They will sale me one though.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Hey, I asked it they would put an acoustic saddle on my T5, but Taylor will not do it accourding to the dealer. They will sale me one though.
The dealer ordered it from Taylor, hmmm, I'd call Taylor service line and get a quote, check 'em out, might be an agreement with their network or something but they do suggest it for acoustic strings. You'll find the group at Taylor pretty helpfull.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/contact/
Kids got the others

Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Thank you once again so much. I just sent an email asking if I could have the acoustic saddle installed in my T5 with acoustic strings. I sure appricate you help!

Hope you have a blessed Easter

~Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Hey bob....I put in a wavelength in my T5 and I'll tell ya....it sounds GREAT!! much better than the T5 ES version (to my ears at least) I also run mine with a fishman aura blender. The sound is just out of this world.

One thing however I feel like I would need to warn you is, if you only plan to use it as exclusively as an acoustic your fine running acoustic strings and bone saddles and such. But with my experience so far, I had light gauge acoustic strings on there and it played and sounded great as an acoustic, but I felt really suffered as an electric. I'm getting much better playability (string bends, barring, string resposne) and tone with electric strings than I did with acoustic strings. I felt the negatives far outweighed the positives running acoustic strings. I definitely got much better acoustic tone and it played and felt like an acoustic with acoustic strings, but it's less of a compromise to run electric strings, cause to me it sounds far worse as an electric than it does better as an acoustic. Never tried the "hybrid" strings yet, but I plan to....

just my $.02

enjoy the guitar though....I love mine and can't seem to put it down!!!

also you should consider maybe a baggs element over the wavelength. The Dtar's bulky endpin preamp made the install of the endpin not sit flush with the guitar. For me it isn't bad enough for me to do anything about it (maybe like 2mm space on one side of the endpin), but although I never tried it, I'm just assuming that MAYBE a baggs endpin will sit flush with the guitar. Oh and if you do decide to go with a wavelength and want a gold button, fishman gold buttons fit on dtar endpin threads. Dtar doesn't make gold buttons.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 03-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikogi View Post
Hey bob....I put in a wavelength in my T5 and I'll tell ya....it sounds GREAT!! much better than the T5 ES version (to my ears at least) I also run mine with a fishman aura blender. The sound is just out of this world.

One thing however I feel like I would need to warn you is, if you only plan to use it as exclusively as an acoustic your fine running acoustic strings and bone saddles and such. But with my experience so far, I had light gauge acoustic strings on there and it played and sounded great as an acoustic, but I felt really suffered as an electric. I'm getting much better playability (string bends, barring, string resposne) and tone with electric strings than I did with acoustic strings. I felt the negatives far outweighed the positives running acoustic strings. I definitely got much better acoustic tone and it played and felt like an acoustic with acoustic strings, but it's less of a compromise to run electric strings, cause to me it sounds far worse as an electric than it does better as an acoustic. Never tried the "hybrid" strings yet, but I plan to....

just my $.02

enjoy the guitar though....I love mine and can't seem to put it down!!!

also you should consider maybe a baggs element over the wavelength. The Dtar's bulky endpin preamp made the install of the endpin not sit flush with the guitar. For me it isn't bad enough for me to do anything about it (maybe like 2mm space on one side of the endpin), but although I never tried it, I'm just assuming that MAYBE a baggs endpin will sit flush with the guitar. Oh and if you do decide to go with a wavelength and want a gold button, fishman gold buttons fit on dtar endpin threads. Dtar doesn't make gold buttons.
Mark, Thanks so much for your post. Thats is very helpful to me. Once I get my T5 I am gonna ask for advise on what to install. The Wavelength or Baggs. I have heard good stuff about both.

Thats really encouraging that your are pleased with the acoustic sound. Acoustic mainly what I will use my T5 for.

Blessings to you and your family on Easter weekend

~Bob
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 PM

I called Taylor. They will not install the acoustic saddle. But you can order one from them.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Regular Guy

I think alot of people have had very good results with the T5/D-tar setup. You will love the T5. Taylor makes a great guitar.

Jim
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Thanks Jim! I can't wait to get it. I was thinking of putting together an excell spread sheet of all the great advise that had been given about the T5. What do you (and everybody) think?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Regular Guy

You have my respect and admiration for knowing how to do that with spread sheet!

Jim
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Guest 720

Quote:
I called Taylor. They will not install the acoustic saddle. But you can order one from them.
I don't get that. On their website, under specs for the T5, for strings, it says that acoustic lights are optional, meaning you can order the T5 with acoustic strings? That being the case why would they not install an acoustic saddle with them?

John
Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 AM

Hi John, I agree with you. It does not make sense. But the rep told me I cannot order the T5 with the acoustic saddle.

In the reps defense, I don't think he would know that I would be quoting him in a guitar forum. He may also be a fellow guitar addict. But his comments were crystal clear.

1) Taylor will not install the acoustic saddle on my guitar (T5).
2) I can order the acoustic saddle and have it installed, but not by Taylor.

If I am missing something and its very possible I could be please let me know.

I wonder if it would help if l call them back on Monday and let them know that I am quoting them in a guitar forum and that per Taylor Guitars, "If a T5 is ordered, we Taylor Guitars will not install an acoustic saddle and we will not install acoustic stings either". Is that correct?

If someone else has a better suggestion I would welcome your thoughts.

Last edited by bbasile777; 03-29-2008 at 08:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars