The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM

I auditioned a parkwood and a T5 side by side and to me the parkwood had a much better acoustic tone. Now the only thing they used to get that tone was a fishman power bridge pickup. So I'm actually interested in how a tele or strat would sound with the power bridge and wonder if that would be a better route than going the T5 or other hybrid route, but to anwer your question about the K4 and the T5, the K4 is simply a eq/preamp. It'll help you achieve better tone, but make no mistake it's still an eq/preamp....it's not like some kind of acoustic simulator. But for what it's worth David Hosler from Taylor runs a T5 into a K4 for his acoustic rig.

best of luck with your search. I hope it ends with better results than you expect!

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
I am among one of the few here who had a T5 and sold it in favor of a Crowdster Plus. The C+ is really a superior sounding instrument both as an acoustic and electric. If you're on a budget, you could try and mod your T5 and as you suggested, stick an LR Baggs Element piezo in the guitar and run 2 strap jacks out of the guitar: 1 for the acoustic (Baggs Element) and 1 for the electric (ES electronics). So what you can do is run them into directly into a mixer and adjust your sound. There's a few different combinations you can run if you were to do a dual source but adding a Baggs piezo would make the T5 sound much more acoustic. Just some food for thought.
Thats what I was thinking. Add the LR Braggs Element piezo to the T5.

Cant I just add the LR Braggs Element piezo pick up & remove the Taylor pick up? I think its position 1 on the T5. Can't I just switch out the T5 pick up for the LR Braggs pickup? Then I would not have to drill any holes? I do not know enough about electronics to understand whats involved here.

Just to complicate things I understand the Crowdster Plus has stereo capability. I would like my (T6) to have that same ability. Wish I could take credit for calling it a T6, but I borrowed it from a previous post.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikogi View Post
I auditioned a parkwood and a T5 side by side and to me the parkwood had a much better acoustic tone. Now the only thing they used to get that tone was a fishman power bridge pickup. So I'm actually interested in how a tele or strat would sound with the power bridge and wonder if that would be a better route than going the T5 or other hybrid route, but to anwer your question about the K4 and the T5, the K4 is simply a eq/preamp. It'll help you achieve better tone, but make no mistake it's still an eq/preamp....it's not like some kind of acoustic simulator. But for what it's worth David Hosler from Taylor runs a T5 into a K4 for his acoustic rig.

best of luck with your search. I hope it ends with better results than you expect!
Thats a good suggestion. I will have to look into the fishman power bridge. I just like the way the Taylor T 5 felt and looked. I'm a lefty so I had to demo it upside down. I figured I would start with what looked and felt good. I will let you know if I learn something that is interesting & helpful.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Quote:
Earthworm's YouTube vid is a jewel. Have you ever seen two more relaxed cats than them spending a lazy, late summer day in the Minnesota sun? Check out this pair of Tom Anderson Crowdster Plusses Tim and Joe are playing.

Best regards.....Kabookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbasile777 View Post
Kabookie- Thanks for the clip. These guys are awesome! Wish I had that kind of talent.
Bbasile777......You're welcome, man. Tim and Joe are good, aren't they? Well, returning to your earlier reference to golf, at least I can handle myself on the links. Played the Asian Tour for a couple of years in my youth but ended up getting a regular job! (Sigh.) Finally, I hear what you're saying about the Crowdster Plus. They go for over 3,000 cheeseburgers brand new! Regards......KaBoOkIe
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Bbasile777......You're welcome, man. Tim and Joe are good, aren't they? Well, returning to your earlier reference to golf, at least I can handle myself on the links. Played the Asian Tour for a couple of years in my youth but ended up getting a regular job! (Sigh.) Finally, I hear what you're saying about the Crowdster Plus. They go for over 3,000 cheeseburgers brand new! Regards......KaBoOkIe
Hey Man, thats great that our played Pro golf. I have played in the 1st flight of the Pub links in Nebraska. I started writing a book on how to play golf last year. I will have to get your opinion on that too! I high jeacked my own thread! I will start another thread.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Now I'm wondering if I should switch the T5 bridge pick up with a fishman power bridge pickup? Seems like there are endless possibilities!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Guest 720

Quote:
What is the name of the place that would sell a new left handed T5 for $1700 or less? I would prefer less

Thanks so much!
I have sent you a PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM

i don't know if you'd be interested or not; but you may want to check out the Rick Turner Renaissance RS6 w/ his new "the deuce" humbucker option. I just ordered one, and am looking forward to getting it in soon. I'm bet you could order a lefty from him...Here's a thread where Rick talks a bit about "the deuce".

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=deuce

These are close to your price range (may be cheaper than a T5 with K4) and have a great reputation for awesome acoustic sounds.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the kudos about the music.

I too have heard about people installing a Baggs on a T5. I was very close to doing just that, but chickened out. Since I found the C+, there is no need.

I don't think the K4 is the answer. I messed around with it and didn't have a ton of success making the T5 more acoustic.

Another option may be to try a DTAR Mama Bear with the T5. That could work.

My rig is pretty simple these days--I'm sure I'll complicate it more. I play into the Bose system and the new T1. The T1 is a mini mixer used in conjunction with the Bose system. It has my effects built in. I also use a Boss RC-50 Loop station. Soon, I'll be using a VG99 with a 13 pin guitar. I want to see if I can do some instant alternate tunings, etc.

Quote:
Earthworm- I really like that Light in this world song. Great tune! I want to post my stuff on you tube someday. I'm just not ready yet and I'm saving for a cam corder. But once again I give you props on your music and those ACP's.

I'm sorry to bombard you with questions. But may I ask a few more? What is your system like?

I just have a Genz Benz Shenandoah 60 stereo. The effects are nice, but I cannot customize them for both lines. What the guitar output has the voice basically must have also or nothing. I need separate effects for my guitar and microphone, like stereo chrous, delay, reverb, ect.

Do you just use effect pedals? Or is it a all in effect box.

I asked you about your thoughts on getting a T5 and K4 too on one of my other replys. Just thought I would wrap everything up in one message.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks mike, I believe I will do that. Drop a LR Baggs Element piezo pickup in the T5. Can I ask you why can't I just remove the T5 acoustic pickup and replace it with the LR Baggs Element piezo? I do not know a lot about electronic. So maybe they are incompatible?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Regular Guy

My next option would be to just by a used Taylor T5 $1700 and then purchase a Taylor K4 to help with the acoustic sound. But I think those are like $500-$600

There you go. BTW if you think finding a LH T5 would be tuff imagine trying to find a LH Crowdster! You could pick up a K4 on Ebay for $350-$450.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 PM

That DTAR Mama Bear looks promising. I looked it up and was impressed with it. Thanks so much for your insight!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM

I still think you should get the Crowdster +. I know my buddy is selling his for $2400. He wants to get a tiger eye one. His is transblack.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks Earthworm, I think your right. I more than likely will just save up for a lefty Crowdster +. I just like the looks of the T5 so much better and thought I could get aways with customizing it. But in reality I if I customize it, I will end up with almost $2,000 worth of sound I am disapointed it.

Is your buddy a lefty?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:30 PM

This new Wechter model is an interesting hybrid guitar, especially if one is interested in driving a VG-99 or synth. True enough, the appearance won't be everyone's cup of tea.
http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/model-9600.htm

I've had some experience with the standard Graph Tech "Ghost" hex system (without the synth pickup module add on) and quite liked it. Another feature of this Wechter model which appeals to me is the optional (at no extra charge) wider fretboard.

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars