The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-18-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
Thanks Dru.

I ALWAYS have a good wad of cash on me and a credit card in the wallet.

You CAN'T walk away from a deal like this to think about it, and go back later the same day.

It will be gone.

You have to jump on the deals right there and then when they present themselves.
I hear ya, Tex. I bought many a guitar on that first strum. A couple of times I walked away only to return the next day to buy it after doing some research on the guitar (or amp or pedal).
Old 01-18-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
Like others have said, Carvin are good well made guitars, but they don't hold their value very well on the used market.

I wanted a Carvin guitar because of the all the guitar ads they had in Guitar Player and Guitar World back in the 80's.

After 46 yrs., I finally scored my 1st Carvin at a pawnshop last year for an AMAZING price.

My '88 Carvin DC127

This deal is almost as good as the 1966 Deluxe Reverb I bought for $70.00

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 01-19-2021, 09:01 PM

I'd like to thank ya'all for such a superb lot of responses and recommendations. I mean that!

I'm having troubles after being away from music for many years and as of yesterday told my bride (or 40 yrs) I was done looking at guitars and anything "music"!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm re-considering that -- again. On/off as I have trouble learning music "anything" and having 2 other very serious hobbies (fly fishing/tying, bamboo fly rods/old British reels and then a hand-furniture-making hobby) I worry about sticking with it again...I need to find stuff with TAB as I don't read.

Now I'm going back looking and it's on me again to get back to it!! I've recently spoken to the fellow with the Carvin and it's still available.

I'll post again after a week or so to update - or just blow my account here away.

I do "sincerely" appreciate the post-replies though.

Jeremy.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyG View Post
...I have trouble learning music "anything" and having 2 other very serious hobbies...I worry about sticking with it again...I need to find stuff with TAB as I don't read...
Reading traditional music notation is easier than you think - the product of centuries of development and refinement, quite logical in its presentation and, unlike tab, universal in its application (FYI woodwind/brass/orchestral string/percussion/keyboard players don't speak "tab"); pick up a copy of Mel Bay Book 1 and work through it slowly - while you might not be able to read like a studio player (nor do you need to for your purposes) you'll know enough to follow a commercial music sheet, learn an unfamiliar song, and perhaps even write some original stuff to share with your bride of 40 years...
Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Reading traditional music notation is easier than you think -
I think what puts people off is they think of reading as true sight reading. Pick up a piece of music and play it mostly right the first time through, at tempo.

For those who are close to that congratulations! But you don't have to be able to do that to "read music".

My weakest point is rhythm reading. I regularly have to go through passages just muting the strings, tapping my toe, and strumming to figure out music I haven't heard before. I have no idea why my rhythm reading is so weak. I've even bought rhythm exercise books.

Do I consider myself a "music reader"? No. Can I read music? Yes! I have to sometimes "sound out the words", but I get there!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
...Do I consider myself a "music reader"? No. Can I read music? Yes! I have to sometimes "sound out the words," but I get there!
My point exactly...
Old 01-22-2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Reading traditional music notation is easier than you think - the product of centuries of development and refinement, quite logical in its presentation and, unlike tab, universal in its application (FYI woodwind/brass/orchestral string/percussion/keyboard players don't speak "tab"); pick up a copy of Mel Bay Book 1 and work through it slowly - while you might not be able to read like a studio player (nor do you need to for your purposes) you'll know enough to follow a commercial music sheet, learn an unfamiliar song, and perhaps even write some original stuff to share with your bride of 40 years...
Steve, thank you for this. I feel I'm looking for an easy way to learn to play guitar (I know, I know...) and this is what holds me off. I've been here before and -- stumbled. I'm undecided if I want to try this again but I keep listening to favored songs (bluesy stuffs) and I feel that pull again.

I'll have to decide for myself and it's ... troubling...

Thank you very much for your "push".
Jeremy.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Steve, thank you for this. I feel I'm looking for an easy way to learn to play guitar (I know, I know...) and this is what holds me off. I've been here before and -- stumbled. I'm undecided if I want to try this again but I keep listening to favored songs (bluesy stuffs) and I feel that pull again.

I'll have to decide for myself and it's ... troubling...

Thank you very much for your "push".
Jeremy.
There's nothing wrong with just learning three chords and playing songs that use them. Problem solved.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
There's nothing wrong with just learning three chords and playing songs that use them. Problem solved.
That would be awfully boring...in about 15 mins!
Old 01-23-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
That would be awfully boring...in about 15 mins!
"That would be awfully boring...in about 15 mins!"

"Steve, thank you for this. I feel I'm looking for an easy way to learn to play guitar"

You seem to feel strongly both ways. You might want to sort that out first.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Back in 2003, I ordered a Carvin DC150 for $819 with a tweed hard case. It was a well-made and wonderful-sounding guitar at a nice price! Like an idiot, I sent it back because I decided I wanted another Les Paul. I should have kept that Carvin!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-23-2021, 10:28 AM

A slight hijack....Carvin (Keisel) makes a SUPER crossover guitar - by far the best I've played - the old CL450. They also make the NS-1 (no soundhole).
Old 01-23-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Back in 2003, I ordered a Carvin DC150 for $819 with a tweed hard case. It was a well-made and wonderful-sounding guitar at a nice price! Like an idiot, I sent it back because I decided I wanted another Les Paul. I should have kept that Carvin!
Do you still have the Les Paul? That too is a great guitar.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Around that same time I also ordered a DC-150. I think for about the same price.
Carvin did make good guitars. Now under a different name. Whats nice is you can order them with choice of pickups, colors, switches, etc. Still have it. Along with my Fender and Gibson. Mine has 2 Humbuckers with a 3 way switch like a Telecaster.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Do you still have the Les Paul? That too is a great guitar.
Hi Dru, back then, I ordered a circa 2003 from zZounds, a "1960 Les Paul Gold Top Classic" with the hot ceramic humbuckers. It, too, was a nice-sounding guitar but like 99% of my guitar purchases I traded it in on something else. Basically, I'm an acoustic guitar aficionado who occasionally dabbles in electrics as I'm now about to do so once again ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-23-2021 at 02:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars