The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-02-2021, 04:15 PM

Default Recording the Sound of Acoustic String Changes

I recently purchased a new acoustic guitar and look forward to string changes to determine the best strings for me. Rather than depending on my memory, I thought it might be good to record the sound of sets after each change. I would duplicate everything for each recording, such as the same chords, microphone location, seat position, for review with good headphones.

I tried apps on my Android smartphone and tablet but it seems the tiny microphones are a weak link. Rather than spending $40 (or more) for a better microphone, with no guarantee of success, I am considering an entry-level portable recorder such as the Zoom H1n or Tascam DR-05X for around $100. I would utilize only the built-in microphone for whichever I choose.

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-...andy-recorder/

https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-05x/top

Both recorders get good reviews at most retailers but would they be capable of capturing something as detailed or subtle as the slight difference between sets of acoustic guitar strings? I could also use the recorder to review and critique my playing. Does recording the sound of string sets seem like a good or bad idea? I look forward to your thoughts or recommendations. Thank you!

Rick
Old 01-02-2021, 04:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I don't think the recorders will pick up the string difference. I'm not sure if my H5 and external mics (Rodes NT-5, a couple of AT-2035) can either. I keep a log of strings changes and comments about the strings which is handy to have.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM

Try the "Old School" OCD/AR method

Pick your four favorite string brands/models.

Buy eight sets, two of each of the four.

Spend half a day and change through 1 set of each of the four...put one set on, play it a while, take it off, change to the next, and so on, and so on.

Pick your fave after the four and re-change to that set, unless it happens to be the last set, and you can just leave it on. The rest of the strings, you can either keep if you like any fairly closely to your favorite, or just give them away to friends, family, church band mates.

Much less $$$ than buying the recorder, and you get good string change practice to boot...a win win

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-02-2021, 05:41 PM

You might find the following video helpful as a reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZb9YjL-N8

They took a J-45 and went from extra light, up to medium gauge strings. Playing through a good set of speakers, you can hear very subtle differences between the string gauges, but you have to really concentrate.

Not sure what kind of mics they used for the video, but I don't know if the mics pick up enough of the subtleties between gauges to make it worthwhile. Keeping a written log like the previous poster suggested might be a better approach.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I have a Spire Studio and have tried recording separate strings and chord sequences to see if I could hear the differences between old/new of the same type of strings and between different string types. For example, I compared Elixir PB Nano Lights on my Breedlove to Ernie Ball Al-Bronze lights. While my ears picked up differences, I had a hard time discerning anything in the recordings, using a reasonable set of headphones. Playing a song might work better. I haven't tried that.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:32 PM

Thanks everyone! Maybe I'm overthinking the a bit. G Chord is right, I could barely tell any difference between string gauges through a professional recording. Maybe I'll make notes as TBman mentioned, narrow my choices to four, then use McDuff's approach...
Old 01-02-2021, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

There is more to a set of strings than how they sound when new. Although a series of recording of different sets, with all other things being as equal as possible, would provide a record of how they sound when new, it would not record how long they last, how their midlife is, how they feel, etc.

I set up a spread sheet over 20 years ago to document data on strings I used with many different guitars. It was helpful. However, I haven't updated it in many years, as I don't feel a need to anymore.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRick View Post
Thanks everyone! Maybe I'm overthinking the a bit. G Chord is right, I could barely tell any difference between string gauges through a professional recording. Maybe I'll make notes as TBman mentioned, narrow my choices to four, then use McDuff's approach...
While my recordings weren't helpful in detecting differences between strings, I was also hoping to use occasional recordings to tell when my strings were going dead. It's difficult for me to hear because it happens so gradually. I will say that the recordings did show shorter sustain on old strings compared to a new set of the same ones, primarily on the wound strings. So that was sort of helpful. But in the end it's more work than it's worth. Much easier just to change them periodically.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

My personal opinion is that guitars don't sound nearly as different to others or recorded as our (usually initial) impressions of them seem to make them. Recording, for me, has pretty well confirmed it, so far as my ear can tell. And, some strings just hit you wrong on some guitars, but to others, probably not so much.

So, yes, there are differences in feel, how long they last both physically and sound-wise. But I've decided if they feel ok and last long enough, just practicing/playing the guitar will make it (well, I hope, me) sound better than another string change.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Whenever I buy a new guitar, I'll try out a dozen or two sets of strings looking for what works best. I just keep written notes on each set and that has been enough. Trying to turn music into a scientific experiment is only going to result in bad music.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-02-2021, 08:07 PM

I took the title to mean you wanted to record the sound of someone changing their strings. In my case that would include my reaction when the end of string goes straight into my fingertip. Not suitable here, apparently, even if I just yell the initials. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 01-03-2021, 03:24 AM

I’m doing the same thing at the moment. I’m using an apogee imic into a iphone and using the inbuilt GarageBand app.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD