The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-27-2020, 10:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Fat II

Well, maybe chubby is a better word.

Here's Stephen Wake again:

And here's mine I did tonight, which is a bit slower watch your volume:

And here's what they look like. Left is Wake, on the right is mine. Close, but no cigar and also everything I did just highlighted my sloppy playing. Its fun playing around with all this stuff, but I'm going to draw a line in the sand now. (I wouldn't mind learning how to get my reverb to sound like his though ) More practice, less "mastering."

BTW I used a ldc on the treble side and a sdc on the bass side. I felt it wasn't as trebly sounding as when I had the Rode on the 12th fret.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Barry, are you looking at the stats window in RX? To me, looking at your waveforms, you track simply isn't as loud as his. Also, the waveforms don't line up at all - two different songs? Two different time slices? If you want to compare, I'd suggest Apples to Apples - play the exact same thing at as close to the same tempo as possible, and then compare the same phrase(s).
Old 12-28-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Weird sound on your recording and soundstage pulled over to the left though volume on both L and R about the same - probably some timing issue (delays?).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 12-28-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Barry, are you looking at the stats window in RX? To me, looking at your waveforms, you track simply isn't as loud as his. Also, the waveforms don't line up at all - two different songs? Two different time slices? If you want to compare, I'd suggest Apples to Apples - play the exact same thing at as close to the same tempo as possible, and then compare the same phrase(s).
Maybe I should do that (play at same tempo). Its the same piece, I just didn't clip the beginning to match the Wake clip. Ok, that'll give me something to do, thanks Doug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Weird sound on your recording and soundstage pulled over to the left though volume on both L and R about the same - probably some timing issue (delays?).
I'll start from scratch again with the eq and see what happens. Thanks Rick.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 PM

Im working on some of his stuff right now.

Specifically his rendition of "A Precious Place". I bought his Bandcamp discography a few months back. Hes really fantastic
Old 12-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParrilla View Post
Im working on some of his stuff right now.

Specifically his rendition of "A Precious Place". I bought his Bandcamp discography a few months back. Hes really fantastic
Yes, he's good. I love his stuff. I didn't get any of the duets that he did though. I'm hoping he does more solo work.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-28-2020, 07:21 PM
Get off my lawn kid

One of the things I did wrong was I put the limiter at the end of the chain on the track, which was sent to the reverb bus. I took the limiter off and put it on the master track. This way the limiter was last, not the last thing before reverb. At least that's what I'm thinking it is, I'll have to research this. I'm assuming the track and its effects are sent to the reverb bus and the result of that is sent to the master.

I got a better result, I think:

Now I have to work on not moving anything but my hands while playing and control my breathing better. I guess I'll get there with practice.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-28-2020, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
One of the things I did wrong was I put the limiter at the end of the chain on the track, which was sent to the reverb bus. I took the limiter off and put it on the master track. This way the limiter was last, not the last thing before reverb. ....
I'm going to suggest that you leave limiting and anything mastering-like (what I call pseudo-mastering) to a separate step from mixing. If you are trying to match a mastered track, take your stereo mix as a separate project and push your compression/limiting/EQ stuff on the mix to match the reference in the same project.

In the case where the reference is a few dB hot for streamed levels (like that first Fat thread - haven't listened here), you could dial it back if you want, or push yours to the Cd level, but then you're working apples and oranges, and fighting the loudness bias. (I'd probably look for a different reference track.)
Old 12-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I'm going to suggest that you leave limiting and anything mastering-like (what I call pseudo-mastering) to a separate step from mixing. If you are trying to match a mastered track, take your stereo mix as a separate project and push your compression/limiting/EQ stuff on the mix to match the reference in the same project.

In the case where the reference is a few dB hot for streamed levels (like that first Fat thread - haven't listened here), you could dial it back if you want, or push yours to the Cd level, but then you're working apples and oranges, and fighting the loudness bias. (I'd probably look for a different reference track.)
Thanks Keith!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD