The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-19-2020, 12:56 PM

Default Recomendation for Band recording

helllo all,

I was looking for a camera with wide enough angle to record practice and shows. the zoom q2n look good for a low end but it has not remote control or phone app to turn it on and off. i would like to put one or a stand , of if possible link two together so i can synch them later. any recommendations?

or would it be better to just use a regular camcorder i have a cannon vixia that is HD but i can't find the remote and not much on connectivity.

what is everyone else using?

thanks

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-xy-microphone
Old 12-19-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymopar View Post
helllo all,

I was looking for a camera with wide enough angle to record practice and shows. the zoom q2n look good for a low end but it has not remote control or phone app to turn it on and off. i would like to put one or a stand , of if possible link two together so i can synch them later. any recommendations?

or would it be better to just use a regular camcorder i have a cannon vixia that is HD but i can't find the remote and not much on connectivity.

what is everyone else using?

thanks

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-xy-microphone
You can use multiple cameras, hit record and let them run. Import the video into your chosen editor and blend all the video however you want.

The much more difficult aspect of this isn't the video; it's how to make it sound good. Music video really is about the sound, and capturing your bandmates in an effective manner is going to be your challenge. If you can do that it's simple to combine it with your multi-cam video in your editor.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:57 PM

A remote can be nice, but isn't strictly necessary. Go to the camera and hit record, let it run, and then put your instrument back on and play. Sync and edit later. Syncing can be done with a simple clap once the cameras are running--you sync by the audio track, not the video, even if you mute the camera audio and use better mics instead.

Modern cell phones have great cameras these days--myself and many others have done perfectly good videos using a cell phone with a holder mounted to a tripod or mic stand.

Like Rudy says, getting good audio in a live setting is harder!
Old 12-20-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Many camcorders will give you better low light capability than anything marketed for both audio and video recording. Some even do better than average audio, but recording and syncing later is always better because (my "personal dead horse") the best location/placement for video recording is almost never the same as for audio. I.e., you'll need the camera pretty far back, but you'll want the mic(s) as close as possible to capture all the sound while reducing room noise/echo (assuming it's not a treated space).

So, bigger glass is your ally if you are not going to be working under klieg lights. And, forget 4k (though that capability can't hurt for other uses, if it's in budget) because processing it [huge video files] might take a new computer.

I bought a couple used Panasonic camcorders and they work well, but external power or at least the biggest camcorder battery pack you can fit to the things is necessary (IMO). The solution I found that worked well for me was a good size external [lithium] battery pack with the appropriate adapter. Of course, you have to make sure the camcorder works on the voltage/amps supplied, or you can use the camera's AC adapter if you have access to an outlet. (Better to assume you'll need battery power.)

I have an old Vixia that I used - they are not bad, and IIRC use 5v DC. I'm sure I used it for some things before getting the Panasonics.

Regardless of the type or brand, you want something that has a flip around "screen" to observe from some distance that it's still recording, unless you have an actual person on the camera while recording. If you have multiple cameras, then a person to watch/check them can save a lot of handwringing.

If you have more than one camera, using the same brand/model will reduce color matching problems. And, turn of auto-white-balance, and probably auto-focus, if you can [manage manual setting of those].

Set up the recorders, turn everything on, make a couple, obvious, visible, loud noises (clapboard things), and sync in post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD