The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-03-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
The Zoom R8, as mentioned, is pretty easy to use. It's hard to do much editing in the Zoom, but you can also use it as input to a DAW.

D.H.
If your objective is simply to multi-track easily and do simple things like add reverb or basic EQ then the R8 is ideal. If your needs don't go beyond that then you never have to sit in front of a computer.

The R8 offers you the ability to go sit under a shade tree in the park with little more than a pair of headphones and get as creative as you want. Offloading the tracks to a computer and doing further editing there is an ideal option of you are moving beyond basic needs.

Even though I like the idea of the Zoom Livetrak hardware there are aspects that would be a deal breaker for me. An example of that is the need to move your microphone to each input to add another track. The R series recorders have a track swap feature that makes it super-easy to use a single track as a mic input and simply shift your newly recorded track to one of the unused tracks before adding another track.

Every time Zoom "improves" their products it seems like they eliminate something that's such an obvious benefit that I have to ask "What were they thinking?"

I'll be keeping my R24.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:16 PM

Personal opinion - but I found the Zoom R8 incomprehensible and sold it without ever managing to produce a single track. I’m really not sure that it’s a simpler option than a software solution.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Personal opinion - but I found the Zoom R8 incomprehensible and sold it without ever managing to produce a single track. I’m really not sure that it’s a simpler option than a software solution.
This is totally true, not simply opinion!

The amount of work that someone has to put into the process of doing any recording is always going to depend on what they actually want to do. The main advantage of the R8 is that its a stand alone piece of hardware, other than a set of headphones to monitor what you're doing.

There are multitudes of Youtube videos on basic recording / multitracking using the R8 and I highly advise a potential user to review a few of them. If someone can't follow the video demonstration then it's most likely not going to be an easy solution in their case.

The first time through is always the most difficult, and from my experience it can be a very simple process once you overcome that initial learning curve. Also keep in mind that the OP wasn't producing "tracks", but is looking for a simple recorder that can multi-track as well as add reverb.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:02 AM

Default Recorder for simple home recorded demos??

The CEntrance Mixerface is a simple but high quality solution. I started a discussion of it here in the recording forum as well. I just ordered one.

Last edited by lkingston; 12-15-2020 at 12:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD