The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-22-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald with open tunings

I have a new X10 level 2 which I absolutely love. Especially in open tunings. Mostly Open C - CGCGCE and open D - DADF#AD. What tunings do you favor Earl?
Old 04-22-2020, 01:48 PM

I regularly play in several tunings:

CFCGCE -- F wahine
CGDGBE -- Keola's C
CGEGCE -- Leonard's C, also used by John Keawe
DADF#AD -- open D
DGDGBD -- open G or taropatch
DGCFAD -- standard minus one whole step
DADGBE -- dropped D
EADGBE -- standard, aka "the weirdest of all tunings", according to David Wilcox

These are song specific and mostly for Hawaiian slack-key, but once I get into a given tuning I try to find at least three songs for each one. I have even re-worked several songs in F Wahine that were originally in taropatch, and play those in both tunings. There are a couple of other tunings that I have experimented with for specific songs that caught my ear, but those do not get used routinely.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Default X10

To keep it somewhat on topic, I have an older Cargo that I gave to my granddaughter who lives with me. I find it's neck very comfortable but the X10 has one of the easiest playing necks I've ever laid my hands on. Its a little flatter and feels really fast.

I played Hialawe at one of Keolas Aloha music camps in F wahine which he taught our ensemble.
If you've never been to one of his camps, they are quite the experience. They are now held on Kauai in February. Paul Simon showed up at this years event and visited all the classes, then played The Boxer for everyone at breakfast. The one I attended was on the Big Island in July 2012

Also play Drop D for Tahitian Skies. I really only play standard when playing electric.
Open D for Little Martha, Buckets of Rain, Amelia, and some blues jamming.

Last edited by Steve Hamill; 04-22-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 PM

My first direct experience with a Cargo was at Aloha Music Camp, in 2007 on Hawaii Island. I almost had Hilo Guitar and Ukulele ship one with a Road Tough finish up to me in Alaska after trying it again at their shop once camp was over. Still kinda wish that I had, since the price was so good back then. We also went to AMC in 2006 on Molokai and 2009 on Kauai as well. During 2007 we moved to Idaho and life circumstances changed a bit. We missed a few camps. Now I don't fly commercially any more - not even for that truly wonderful camp. Or my other favorite guitar camp in Wasilla, Alaska.

Hi'ilawe is on my "to do" list, along with about 30 other songs. Once I discovered slack key, my studies in Piedmont style ragtime and country blues were completely derailed. I currently have my hands full working through Jeff Peterson's DVD (highly recommended, BTW, in addition to Ozzie's DVD's and book).
https://jeffpetersonguitar.com/produ...rson-volume-1/
https://ozziekotani.com/product-cate...y-instruction/

I still play a fair amount in standard tuning at jams and with my flutist wife. But standard sometimes feels odd to me now.

Oh, and Cargo.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber