The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2020, 03:58 PM

Default Heeless x20

I have had my x7 5 weeks now and l'm really enjoying it. The playablity is great and l do like the tone, clear, focused and l think its got a little growl. The only problem sound wise is a tinny ping over tone on the open B string, l guess a setup is in order. l like the guitar so much l talked to Simon about a x20 with 12 fret 24" scale and came to find out that the x20 does not have a heeless neck as do the x7 and x30, apparently its a nod to tradition. One of the things l liked most about Emerald is there ergonomics, letting form follow function. These insturments look so cool why put a heel were it joins the body and blocks not only upper fret access but innovation. Simon e-mailed today and said, talking with Alister a heeless x20 mold is in the works. I'm curious how many people would opt for a heel if the heeless was available? Great guitars, great forum, thanks MCP
Old 04-21-2020, 04:13 PM

I'm actually surprised they haven't done this yet and think it's a good idea for them to do it. Doesn't interest me on the X20 though but on the X30 the heelless neck is a great feature.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:37 PM

I love my X20 but prefer the heelless neck of my X7. The X20 is an older design that wasn't updated when the new X7 and X30 arrived with their new necks. I know Alistair has done a custom heelless X20, and it's not surprising that a new mold is in the works. The other thing I prefer on the X7 is the flat back -- the X20's is arched. It will be interesting to see what happens on the new model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber