The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 PM

Default NOGD: 1996 Strat

Bought an American Strat in 3 tone sunburst with maple neck in 1996 as I wanted to learn how to play the electric guitar. I was playing classical guitar then. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to work with a pick and I gave up on my teacher after a few sessions. So it ended up in storage. Last year, my son started taking lessons but I got him a used Squier Strat as a starter. He's been getting better over the past few months and so I figured this would be a good time to bring out mine and learn along with him. One day, I can even pass on my guitar to him.

Anyway, the first thing I realized when I took the guitar out of the case is that everything is still original including the orange sticker on the hole for the tremolo bar. The neck is straight and she stays in tune but I know she needs a proper set-up and new strings. Pots and pups still need to be tested. Anything else I should have done?

I live in White Rock, BC. Please recommend a place where I can get my guitar serviced.

Last edited by Kbgummy; 05-29-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 PM

That's a long time to leave a great guitar in storage. It's great that it's going to see some playing time. Plug it in and try it out. Make sure there are no scratchy pots. Sounds like the guitar is in pristine shape.

Is there a Long & McQuade near you? If not, talk to the local shop.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:42 PM

If you live in White Rock, I think its a drive into Van to hit Tom Lee or Long and McQuade. Bring your son and hit Granville Island and call it a city day

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars