The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I'd vote for variety but totally your call. Play them and pick one that plays & sounds great regardless of the wood...maybe you'll discover something besides mahogany or rosewood. I did when I played my cherry bodied Bourgeois LDBO.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Your decision really depends on what you prefer. I've gone down the path of experimenting with different tonewoods, only to discover that my 1st preference is rosewood, follow by mahogany. I discovered (what many already knew) that tone wood is just one of a number of factors that distinguish one guitar from another. Others are the builder, body shape, scale length, your playing style, strings, and so forth. You can find significant tonal variety within a group of mahogany guitars (for example), so it's not necessary to get a different tone wood necessarily. All depends on You !

Enjoy the never ending quest for "the next one" !

Cheers!
Old 03-09-2021, 06:13 AM

If I had to vote in this situation I'd vote rosewood. But I believe it's the wrong way to buy a guitar. While there certainly are tendencies to back and side woods, I have played hogs that sounded like they were filled with gym socks and hogs that sing.

We are rapidly approaching a time when you'll be able to spend a few hours in a fine store playing a lot of guitars. I'd buy the one that I loved, back and sides be darned. I don't think you want a guitar that doesn't move you simply because it has different wood from your other guitars. Unless variety is your main concern.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion