The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-06-2021, 12:47 PM

I'd also say amp before guitar.

I would consider this. I've played the older model in two bands, one was cleaner blues, and one was rock. I used an overdrive pedal in the rock band. The older models were not know for the drive channel, but a pedal will work great. And the drive channel worked ok if you used it for just a wee bit of boost. No affiliation with Sweetwater, using them to display the amp.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

Supposedly the IV model has addressed the drive channel issue, but I don't know any more than that.

The IV is lighter too, having gone to a pine cab.

For what you're looking for in an amp, this would work well. Very nice cleans, plenty of clean headroom with 40 watts, and if the drive channel doesn't suit you, an inexpensive drive pedal, such as a tube screamer or SD-1 will get you there. No problem gigging with this either.

Cost is a bit above what you've been looking at, and you could lower that by getting a used model, of this or an earlier edition.

That said, there are some great suggestions by others here. Happy amp hunting!
Old 04-06-2021, 03:35 PM

Are you open to modeling? Get something like a Pod Go or Helix and you'll have more amps that you know what to do with.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:48 PM

We’re all different. I’d replace both with either a Tele or ES335 and a PRRI or DRRI.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion, a nice Princeton Reverb would be hard to beat.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
In my opinion, a nice Princeton Reverb would be hard to beat.
My gigging amp of choice!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
The sonic blue one has a Celestion 10” Gold 8ohm 45watt with Genalex tubes.
The burgundy one has a Celestion 10” Greenback 8ohm 25watt with Genalex tubes. I wouldn’t trade them for anything. They are just right for my needs.
How do the speakers differ?
Old 04-06-2021, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm pretty much narrowing it down to the Fender Blues Junior IV or the Vox AC-10. Does anyone have any experiences with these amps with a Les Paul or similar guitar? 99% of the demos I see are all done with strats or teles.

This is just based from what I'm hearing on Youtube.. I love the warmth of the blues junior. The crunch has that very familiar surf sound. Really like that. However, the Vox also sounds great. I love its chime and brightness, but sometimes it can get harsh. Then again, all these demos are done with single coils. I've seen some LP's but most were badly recorded or the players didn't really play well.

I still need to try it out but we're on lockdown here so I can't really visit stores right now.

Last edited by hatamoto; 04-06-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterk View Post
Are you open to modeling? Get something like a Pod Go or Helix and you'll have more amps that you know what to do with.
Not really. I already have a modelling amp, so would rather go for tube.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:28 AM

I bought the Blackstar Artist 10 6L6 anniversary edition on closeout a couple of years ago. This is the predecessor of the Studio 10 6L6 but apart from cosmetics they appear to be the same thing. I really enjoy this amp but play with single coils. It is great, but the 'overdrive' is SS. It stays pretty clean without the drive enabled, but there is tube breakup with the gain right up and 'overdrive' disengaged. From memory these were more popular with Single Coil players and the EL34 and KT88 versions were more popular with humbuckers. I bought this instead of the Vox AC10 as it has an effects loop which is handy for a looper and time based effects (I practice a lot with a looper). I doubt you can get a satisfying tone playing at "bedroom levels". When quiet it just doesn't have that same feeling even with the gain up and master low. I think this is true of most valve amps.
One thing to consider is that if you like to plug in your phone etc to play with backing tracks, valve amps are not going to do this well. For this I use my Yamaha THR 10C. This is a fantastic amp for quiet practice and gets loud enough too. More versatile than the Blackstar and I probably play this over 90% of the time for this reason. Both are rated at 10 watts but the Blackstar is way louder.
I also tried the Blues Jr in store but found it went from nothing with the master right down but then slight adjustments and it was quickly too loud, not a gradual change, very finicky. In it's defense I don't think it was designed to be played quietly.
If you really want a valve amp that plays nicely at quiet levels check out the Blackstar HT-1r or HT-5r. These get rave reviews for playing in front of the TV etc.
Good luck in your search.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:36 AM

The other thing I love about the Blackstar Artist 6L6 is simplicity. Gain, Master, tone and Reverb. There's something about engaging with an amp that does not give too many options, there are plenty of options on your guitar between pickup selection, vol and tone knobs. Sometimes 'less is more' as they say. More time playing and less time mucking around.
There is also the drive switch of course and the pedal to control that was included in the price
Old 04-07-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
I bought the Blackstar Artist 10 6L6 anniversary edition on closeout a couple of years ago. This is the predecessor of the Studio 10 6L6 but apart from cosmetics they appear to be the same thing. I really enjoy this amp but play with single coils. It is great, but the 'overdrive' is SS. It stays pretty clean without the drive enabled, but there is tube breakup with the gain right up and 'overdrive' disengaged. From memory these were more popular with Single Coil players and the EL34 and KT88 versions were more popular with humbuckers. I bought this instead of the Vox AC10 as it has an effects loop which is handy for a looper and time based effects (I practice a lot with a looper). I doubt you can get a satisfying tone playing at "bedroom levels". When quiet it just doesn't have that same feeling even with the gain up and master low. I think this is true of most valve amps.
One thing to consider is that if you like to plug in your phone etc to play with backing tracks, valve amps are not going to do this well. For this I use my Yamaha THR 10C. This is a fantastic amp for quiet practice and gets loud enough too. More versatile than the Blackstar and I probably play this over 90% of the time for this reason. Both are rated at 10 watts but the Blackstar is way louder.
I also tried the Blues Jr in store but found it went from nothing with the master right down but then slight adjustments and it was quickly too loud, not a gradual change, very finicky. In it's defense I don't think it was designed to be played quietly.
If you really want a valve amp that plays nicely at quiet levels check out the Blackstar HT-1r or HT-5r.
These get rave reviews for playing in front of the TV etc.
Good luck in your search.
I totally agree with the emboldened sections. Tube amps work much differently than SS and modelers. If you are playing at home and not gigging out, a 1 or 5 watt tube amp will be more than enough. Tube amps really need to be pushed to hit their "sweet spot". I live in the country and can crank mine, most people can't or do not want to.

Tube wattage vs SS wattage is apples to oranges. Like the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb is 100 watts and simulates the volume of a 22 watt tube amp. My best friend owned a HT5R for years and it sounded great. If I wanted great tube tone at home without busting the windows a 1 or 5 watter will likely fit the bill for you.

Do yourself a favor and check out the HT1R.
All the clips I've hear of it were stellar. 2 channels and reverb can give you a LOT of tonal variation.

I gig with a Super Champ X2 and a Orange Micro Terror w/cab (15 & 20 watts respectively). The Super Champ gets the nod for versatility and portability and the Orange has slightly better tone.

One problem with single channel, non-reverb amps is that good OD pedals are costly and good Reverb pedals are even more so. I mean 150-200 bucks. The need for more pedals brings into play a need for more power supplies and extra "spaghetti" on the floor.

A good 2 channel amp w/Verb and self powered channel switcher is simple and less costly in the long run. I tried gigging with a giant pedal board and I hated it. I also bought a Pod Go and sent it back - too much to do and near limitless options - yucch. Not for me.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-07-2021, 01:46 PM

If it were me I'd set a long term goal:

Put Seymour-Duncan P-Rails in the LP for versatility.
Get a Fender Blues Junior for Cleans
Get a Fender BassBreaker15 for higher gain
Connect the two amps with a stereo Chorus or Flanger (Maybe a Roland RT-20).

...Dream on.....
Old 04-07-2021, 04:18 PM

The Tone Lounge on YouTube. He is a vox guy and has a Gibson lp. He responds to your questions quickly, too
Old 04-07-2021, 04:55 PM

hatamoto,
The folks checking in on this thread, namely Roylor4, Seanr, Rockabilly69, know of what they speak. There are so many beautiful tube low wattage gems to play out there it’s worth the effort to try out as many as you can. The adage less is more has never been more accurate than in today’s small amp market. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
And as a side note, along with a pair of SuperChamp x2’s, I also use a VoxAC10c1 and a Blackstar HT20mkII with excellent low volume results.
I’m a grandpa with a four year old and a one year old living with my wife and I, so sound control is mandatory!😹
Good luck CoolCat!
Old 04-07-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
We’re all different. I’d replace both with either a Tele or ES335 and a PRRI or DRRI.
An ES-335, or more specifically an ES-339 would indeed be great to have

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars