The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-02-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I think you'll find that as your ear and technique develop you'll find that they are about the same. For example, a classical guitar comparable in build quality and tone to your Furch will run around the same price.

A skilled player can make very nice sounding music even on an inexpensive instrument, be it a steel string or classical. A non-skilled player can make either sound poorly.

Fair enough, thanks Charles.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-03-2021, 07:47 AM

I played a couple of almansas. They are awesome.
Even those solid/laminated are just superb.
Their quality is hard to beat.

As you devote more time to CG, you will develop a taste and will be more aware of what you really need.

From there, please dive into the second hand market. I got my dread guitar for half of the price.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanSymbian View Post
I played a couple of almansas. They are awesome.

Even those solid/laminated are just superb.

Their quality is hard to beat.

As you devote more time to CG, you will develop a taste and will be more aware of what you really need.

From there, please dive into the second hand market. I got my dread guitar for half of the price.

It’s certainly a good deal better than I expected for the price I paid for it - but I am eyeing up some of the English luthiers such as Eden etc.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:53 PM

And OFC, I got my DREAM, not DREAD guitar for half the price;-)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanSymbian View Post
And OFC, I got my DREAM, not DREAD guitar for half the price;-)

Wow, what was it if you don’t mind me asking?

Old 02-04-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
but I am eyeing up some of the English luthiers such as Eden etc.
I had a few classicals but it was getting a quality instrument that was pivotal for me.

Clive Carroll told me he played a Woodfield when needing nylon so I called Philip. His wait list was 3 years at that time but, as is often the case, he had some clients who wanted to move on their "old" guitar for a new one. I ended up with a used Woodfield for a very reasonable price indeed. A mate who plays a lot of nylon said a great one can sound like a "grand piano". I had no real idea what he was talking about until I played that guitar. It bore no sonic resemblance to any nylon I had played before. I did end up getting on Philip's list and when that guitar finally arrived (after 3 years) it was astonishing.

You have an insane amount of choice in the UK: In addition to those I mentioned earlier - Jake Fuller (Purnell Guitars), Pablo Requina, Rohan Lowe, James Lister, Oren Myers, the list goes on and on. Give them all a call and see who resonates with you. It's tough and competitive out there at the moment and you will end up with a great deal for a guitar made specifically for you, at prices way below those at dealerships.

I'm very jealous: selecting a luthier is such great fun!

Make sure you let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by steveh; 02-04-2021 at 01:26 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 02-04-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I had a few classicals but it was getting a quality instrument that was pivotal for me.

Clive Carroll told me he played a Woodfield when needing nylon so I called Philip. His wait list was 3 years at that time but, as is often the case, he had some clients who wanted to move on their "old" guitar for a new one. I ended up with a used Woodfield for a very reasonable price indeed. A mate who plays a lot of nylon said a great one can sound like a "grand piano". I had no real idea what he was talking about until I played that guitar. It bore no sonic resemblance to any nylon I had played before. I did end up getting on Philip's list and when that guitar finally arrived (after 3 years) it was astonishing.

You have an insane amount of choice in the UK: In addition to those I mentioned earlier - Jake Fuller (Purnell Guitars), Pablo Requina, Rohan Lowe, James Lister, Oren Myers, the list goes on and on. Give them all a call and see who resonates with you. It's tough and competitive out there at the moment and you will end up with a great deal for a guitar made specifically for you, at prices way below those at dealerships.

I'm very jealous: selecting a luthier is such great fun!

Make sure you let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks very much for the recommendations Steve - it’s a journey I am looking forward to (once I have the funds available - but that doesn’t stop me from researching..)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical