The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Went out for Lunch - came back with a Rain Song!

This is my first post on the board, after joining a couple weeks ago....

I decided to stop by the local music store at lunch, and checked out some of their RainSong (and CA) guitars - I first played some composites a week ago and was very intrigued. An hour later, I came home with an OM 1000N2 FT ....or something like that. The gloss Rainsongs look like artwork and the feel is amazing, but something about the sound of the fine texture models (WS and OS) just spoke to me - they just rang and sounded more woody than the Rainsong gloss. Loved the body size/depth, loved the N2 neck, loved the plugged in sound through an SWR, and I just said "OK, let's do it!"

Normally I research stuff like this ad nauseum, but when the guy said I could bring it back within a week if I changed my mind I busted out the VISA.

I would have liked to have tried a "shorty" model, but they didn't have it in stock.

What's the general perception of this guitar as compared to other Rainsong models? I realize this one is at the low end (never thought I'd say that after plunking down $1,400+tax!). And is anyone a fan of the FT sound over the gloss version? The fact that it was hundreds of dollars cheaper to go with the FT was cool by me!

Can't wait to get it home, show the missus (yes, she knew this was coming eventually), and see how it sounds in the house!

Jamie K
Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Forum and congratulations on your Rainsong purchase. I've only owned the less expensive Studio and Hybrid models but have found them to be wonderful instruments. Not really sure what more $$$ buys you in the real world Rainsong use...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Congratulations on your purchase!!!! The FT still gives a very nice sound and you will really enjoy the OM body from Rainsong.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 AM

Cool I think with guitars that first strum kind of tells the story. The irony with Rainsong is their hybrid are cheaper and probably sound more woodlike than the pure carbon ones, welcome to the carbon world!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 PM

I just purchased a Shorty FT (from LA Guitar Sales... Thanks Ted!) and love the finish. My aesthetic sensibility led me to the fine texture finish, as there were no Rainsongs within traveling distance for me. Somehow I think this finish just goes with the concept of a carbon fiber guitar better than gloss finishes.

Great guitar that I'm just getting to know...
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM

So, I now have 3 weeks of ownership with my Rainsong, and I'm really enjoying it. Just sent my warranty card in! Was wondering about a few things:

1. Set-up: seems really good from the factory- but I am thinking it could be a bit lower. For those who like a lower action, did you get it tweaked after purchase? What were the adjustments? Nut re-slotted, truss rod adjusted, bridge saddle lowered, or all of the above? (The shop I purchased from offers a set-up with purchase, but I'd like to have an idea going in what is involved if I want the string height dropped).

2. Strings: seems like light/mediums and PBs are a popular choice, and I'd definitely like to get a heavier bottom half set to add a little more low end. Does this type of change necessitate a reslotting of the nut?
Also, anyone ever try the John Pearse 610LM Silk Phosphor Bronze? http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/jope61siphbr.html#
They call these light mediums, but they seem gauged more like lights to me. The description has me thinking they might be worth a try.

3. Cleaning: the owners manual from Rainsong seems to encourage use of an automotive detailing product that sounds like a wax to me...I'm thinking this might be good for the gloss finish guitars, but maybe not so for the fine texture finishes. Thus far I've just used a damp cloth with a drop of dish liquid to clean up oily marks, and it seems to work well. Any other suggestions for the FT finish?

I've learned that a good leather strap is essential for these guitars...they are so light that they tend to nose dive with a slicker nylon strap. Also, using different types/textures of picks makes a huge difference in sound...still experimenting but so far I like using the lighter Jim Dunlop textured nylon picks (.60 mm) - when I'm using a pick that is!

-Jamie K
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 AM

1) I lowered mine to 3/32" and 2/32" and made a custom bone saddle from a rectangular blank (actually I started 5 and discarded 4 at various steps). I did make a minor tweak to the G-string at the nut to improve the tone of the open G, but otherwise it is still stock. The truss rod in my CO-DR1100N2 worked its way loose and tightened it, but I did not change the relief. In my older, now eBayed RainSongs I tried adjusting one of them and concluded these necks are MUCH stiffer than wood.
2) I use Elixir PB-12s and as long as a tech will be doing the setup, I would definitely have the nut optimized for heavier bass strings, if you go that way. If only lowering the action I would not touch it. It's stock string height looks right to me (I've owned three RainSongs and this was/is true across the board). If you are doing the work yourself, take the clipped ends from the heavier strings and vigorously work them back and forth in the nut string slots (I've only done this with non-coated strings). I find that is generally good enough. A little lubricant afterward won't hurt either (pencil lead or a commercial product).
3) I owned one RainSong with the textured finish and it was not easy to clean. I ended up settling on Green Works clear general purpose cleaner (no ammonia) and a smooth cotton cloth. For me, I did over about a year develop a slight glossy spot from pick strikes where a pick guard would go. If I was to do that over again, I would buy a stick-on plastic pick guard and put it on.

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber