The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-12-2016, 11:48 AM

My thanks to those who mentioned me on this thread. My work took a more traditional turn about five years ago. I still build my own designs with double sides, elevated fretboards, soundports, decorative dovetails, etc. But I also enjoy building in the style of the great Martin and Gibson guitars of the pre WWII era. I found that there was a lot to learn by doing close reproductions of those classic instruments. And I have recreated some of the turn-of-the-century Martin purflings that went out of production with WWI.

I got a stamp of approval of sorts for my Martinesque work a couple of years ago when vintage expert Eric Schoenberg began to have me build under his name. Schoenberg guitars have been built by TJ Thompson, Dana Bourgeois, Bruce Sexauer, John Slobod, and other luminaries.

My website does not reflect any of this, unfortunately. My web designer retired, and I am badly in need of an update. But I am very happy to accept commissions to build in the traditional Martin and Gibson styles.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:17 PM

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd give this one a bump.

Any new and/or under-the-radar builders making guitars in traditional Martin styles that have surfaced in the last 3–4 years? I'm always curious to see some of the lesser-known builders out there making guitars in small batches for friends and local musicians that might be on the verge of bigger things.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Normally, I'd make a joke about zombie threads, but the OP is bumping the thread.

For Martin style, I like Bob Thompson. I have a torrified Adi on EIR DN, torrified Englemann on Brazillian OM, and torrified Adi on hog DN. I guess I'm a "fan" at this point. My favorite is the OM. Sometimes I'm tempted to duplicate the OM with EIR to take out and about.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps not new but kinda of under the radar, relatively speaking, is MJ Franks. I have one of his ADI topped Rosewood back OMs that is modeled after a prewar Martin. It not only lives up to expectations, it exceeds them..

The guitar was not a build commissioned by me. I just happen to be in the right place at the right time and got it at a good price ...Thanks AGF
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 12-09-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Curious if anyone has heard or played anything a bit off the beaten path recently that would be considered a traditional Martin-style build. I like seeing all the different homages to classic guitars -- even when the differences are very small, it's interesting to see builders' interpretations.
Oops, just noticed this is an older thread...

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 12-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:24 PM

deleted - old thread

Last edited by Jeff Mc; 12-10-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Oops, just noticed this is an older thread...
It’s an older thread, but one that I started and figured I’d float back to the top of the queue rather than create something new with the same question(s).
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Jim Merrill went under the radar a few years back. He is still building superb Martin style guitars.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
My thanks to those who mentioned me on this thread. My work took a more traditional turn about five years ago....
Howard I've just had a look at your website and my goodness, your works is just amazing! I don't know what else to say except "wow!"
Old 04-13-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Jayson Bowerman, builds incredible "Martin" style guitars. If you want a better "Martin" than a "Martin" call Jayson. He is very very good. I great "One Man Shop". He prototyped all the Revival Series for Breedlove when he was there. On his own he has continued to refine the x-braced Martin tradition.

I have referred many people to him and all have been thrilled. A couple people from this board have ordered his guitars...some more than 1.
The thing with the Revival Series is that they still sound like Breedloves. Same bracing, same top deflection, same sparkling tone, no "undertones" like you hear in Martin guitars. I think it comes down to the fact that he uses bolt-on necks. I've never played any builder that uses bolt-on necks come close to Martin's tone. Not Breedlove, not Froggy Bottom, not Huss & Dalton. Eastman comes close, I believe they use a dovetail joint.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:35 AM

Here are a few builders who didn't get a mention the first time around. Matt Arcara (mgaguitars.com), David Anderson (augustguitars.com), Phil Brunwin (bethnayguitars.com, more Gibson than Martin but...), Bill Kraus (krausguitars.com), Clayton Pledger (pledgerguitars.com, nice mix of Martin and Gibson).
Old 04-14-2021, 04:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Here are a few builders who didn't get a mention the first time around. Matt Arcara (mgaguitars.com), David Anderson (augustguitars.com), Phil Brunwin (bethnayguitars.com, more Gibson than Martin but...), Bill Kraus (krausguitars.com), Clayton Pledger (pledgerguitars.com, nice mix of Martin and Gibson).
Thanks for mentioning me Jwills. If I recall, the last time we spoke was a few years ago when you called asking if I made a OOOO size guitar, and I had to say "no, but it's on my list". Well I'm glad to say that I do make a OOOO size now. I would also like point out a recent thread on the forum showing my latest OM, about to be shipped out;

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=612513

I will be adding a couple more photos to if in a day or so,
again, thanks Jwills.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop