The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Thank you. I’ve already changed strings once to see what surprises may lay within.
My Froggy L came alive with John Pearse Nuages lights. Wonderful balance, great tone and they last a fairly long time

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 11-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Great looking Frog there!! Congrats, I bet it sings!!!!!!
Thank you Bobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
My Froggy L came alive with John Pearse Nuages lights. Wonderful balance, great tone and they last a fairly long time
It came with Michael’s favored JP 80/20s, which sounded great except the low E was a bit too “dry/dull” for my taste. I put on EXP 80/20 lights for now because they typically work ok. My K, oddly, is my only guitar that I think sounds the best with Elixir PB lights. But I’ll check Nuages out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Normally, I'd agree with the first sentence, but Haasome has a pretty wicked amazing stable and has impeccable taste with guitars. I suspect this guitar is every bit as good as the others he has.

But, I definitely agree with the second sentence! As far as I'm concerned the world would be a better place if all discerning acoustic guitarists had a Frog in their stable.

Haasome, congrats on the new Frog!!! Play it in good health!!!! I'd love to hear how you spread the playing time around your awesome stable.
Thanks FF — pretty lucky to have this problem
Old 11-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Congrats on your new lovely Froggy. Smaller body and mahog with adi on top must sound really focussed and rich. As it grows up, it will gain likely coherence and responsiveness. I have never played a model C and I would love to. It would be so interesting to compare the models H-12, M-12 and C-12 in identical woods to get some sense of the effect of body dimensions. It seems to me the body volume is similar but the shape (plantilla) and depths are different. Bracing might be quite different too. Maybe one day I'll buy a lottery ticket and that ship will come home - I'll commission 3 guitars from Michael to run that experiment. Enjoy and report back how it compares to your other Froggy, a K right?

hans
After a week of hard play I have a good feel for this Froggy. It is very focused and warm indeed. I’m anticipating that initial breaking in will be relatively short compared to my K, which took almost a year to soften (as Michael predicted.) I do have an H-12 too, but that guitar seemed “broken in” right out of the box. The K and H-12 are both Adi/Walnut, so not a perfect comparison to the C as far as woods go. I am simply amazed how much power & tone comes from this small box. As you say, it will take time to get a better sense about how this one compares to the others. But having played this guitar for over a week now, I have a good sense it is superb. The tone perhaps resembles the H-12 more than the K, but it certainly has its own personality. It has incredible depth, balance, clarity and power; and it is extremely comfortable with a compact 14-inch lower bout. Thanks.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 11-10-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
After a week of hard play I have a good feel for this Froggy. It is very focused and warm indeed. I’m anticipating that initial breaking in will be relatively short compared to my K, which took almost a year to soften (as Michael predicted.) I do have an H-12 too, but that guitar seemed “broken in” right out of the box. The K and H-12 are both Adi/Walnut, so not a perfect comparison to the C as far as woods go. I am simply amazed how much power & tone comes from this small box. As you say, it will take time to get a better sense about how this one compares to the others. But having played this guitar for over a week now, I have a good sense it is superb. The tone perhaps resembles the H-12 more than the K, but it certainly has its own personality. It has incredible depth, balance, clarity and power; and it is extremely comfortable with a compact 14-inch lower bout. Thanks.
I wonder if you can say anything about how the voice differ on C-12 compared to H-12? I've forgotten the woods on the H12. They are quite close in size though differ in plantilla. I'd be interested to know ow they differ for you. Congrats on your family of Froggys which give you the opportunity to learn about each guitar by comparison with others.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:27 PM

Beautiful.......Enjoy!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolli View Post
Beautiful.......Enjoy!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
I wonder if you can say anything about how the voice differ on C-12 compared to H-12? I've forgotten the woods on the H12. They are quite close in size though differ in plantilla. I'd be interested to know ow they differ for you. Congrats on your family of Froggys which give you the opportunity to learn about each guitar by comparison with others.

hans
It’s difficult to fairly compare my brand new C (Mahogany/Adi) to my broken in 4 year old H-12 (Walnut/Adi). The H-12 top and lower bouts as well as the body length are all 1” larger and I think this makes a difference in power. My immediate impression is that the H-12 is a little more powerful and has more rumble in its voice. Having said that, there is no shortage of power and depth in the C, but it plays a bit smaller. I had contemplated selling my H-12 if my K and new C overlapped the middle ground where the H-12 plays. Time will tell, but it would be very difficult to give up the H-12.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 AM

Paul,
Curious to hear another review after you’ve lived with the C a couple of months?

I’m considering one, as I love small Froggys, but I also do a lot of flat picking and strumming, and I feel like the C is a great bet for some acoustic jazz/blues that I enjoy playing.

Also, how do you like it in the mahogany? I had a Froggy P14 in that wood and loved it, but I’ve also always fancied myself a “rosewood guy,” and I’m really tempted to find one in a rosewood. Will it be too deep/bassy? (If that’s even possible???)

And lastly, how does the hog compare to your walnut froggys? I’ve always loved the look of walnut, and they’re just more unique, but I wonder how the tone would compare in a froggy.

Thanks!
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 01-18-2019, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
Paul,
Curious to hear another review after you’ve lived with the C a couple of months?

I’m considering one, as I love small Froggys, but I also do a lot of flat picking and strumming, and I feel like the C is a great bet for some acoustic jazz/blues that I enjoy playing.

Also, how do you like it in the mahogany? I had a Froggy P14 in that wood and loved it, but I’ve also always fancied myself a “rosewood guy,” and I’m really tempted to find one in a rosewood. Will it be too deep/bassy? (If that’s even possible???)

And lastly, how does the hog compare to your walnut froggys? I’ve always loved the look of walnut, and they’re just more unique, but I wonder how the tone would compare in a froggy.

Thanks!
Hi Otis - I’ve had this guitar for 2 months now and I keep it on a stand in my living room, so it gets played every day. I love this guitar. I’m still surprised with the power and depth that comes out of the small box. I’d say it plays like a big guitar, but that’s not true. There is no mistaking this is a compact comfy instrument. But the sound that comes out is big, deep, rich, balanced and powerful. It’s difficult to compare to my walnut K and H12 because the form of each guitar is so different. While trying to isolate the impact of mahogany over walnut is difficult because of the body differences, I would say the C is more punchy, direct and produces less overtones. Having said that, it has a rich deep tone, balanced minds and thick trebles and provides a nice overtone profile. I can play it with fingers or it plays easily with a pick with plenty of headroom. I wondered if buying the C would move the H12 out of my rotation, but that’s not going to happen anytime soon. I like them both and have room for both, so they will stay for now.

I will add that I’ve been looking for a 00 that suits me for a while and after moving through several excellent guitars made by other builders, this C seems to deliver exactly what I’m looking for.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 01-18-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:58 AM

Beautiful instrument. Congratulations.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM

Yep, that's amazing! Congrats on an amazing guitar!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Hi Otis - I’ve had this guitar for 2 months now and I keep it on a stand in my living room, so it gets played every day. I love this guitar. I’m still surprised with the power and depth that comes out of the small box. I’d say it plays like a big guitar, but that’s not true. There is no mistaking this is a compact comfy instrument. But the sound that comes out is big, deep, rich, balanced and powerful. It’s difficult to compare to my walnut K and H12 because the form of each guitar is so different. While trying to isolate the impact of mahogany over walnut is difficult because of the body differences, I would say the C is more punchy, direct and produces less overtones. Having said that, it has a rich deep tone, balanced minds and thick trebles and provides a nice overtone profile. I can play it with fingers or it plays easily with a pick with plenty of headroom. I wondered if buying the C would move the H12 out of my rotation, but that’s not going to happen anytime soon. I like them both and have room for both, so they will stay for now.

I will add that I’ve been looking for a 00 that suits me for a while and after moving through several excellent guitars made by other builders, this C seems to deliver exactly what I’m looking for.
Awesome, thanks Paul!
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Beautiful instrument. Congratulations.
Thanks musicman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweave69 View Post
Yep, that's amazing! Congrats on an amazing guitar!
I love it, thank you jweave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
Awesome, thanks Paul!
Good luck with your search Otis.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Paul,

I don't believe I've ever seen a NGD thread have such a long life! That's great... hope you're enjoying that gorgeous guitar half as much as we are from afar! Lol...
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Paul,

I don't believe I've ever seen a NGD thread have such a long life! That's great... hope you're enjoying that gorgeous guitar half as much as we are from afar! Lol...
Hey Kerbie, this one has 9 lives.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
As far as I'm concerned the world would be a better place if all discerning acoustic guitarists had a Frog in their stable.
Hey, don't neglect the rest of us!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion