The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-26-2002, 06:44 PM

david_m

I wasn't trying to 'hop' in on you above.....it's the 2nd or 3rd time now that I've done something that could be taken that way....(the 'demonic' playing the Mark Hanson recording backwards...etc......)

Now....

did you notice that Arty the Smarty Mapletrees was only a minor 3rd off (if trying to catch the melody) for the key of G Silent Night slip-sliding the diminished 7th chords thing above???????

Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 04-26-2002, 06:55 PM

RNorthCarolinaTarheels (sp?),

Honestly, I was teeeeeazzzzzzzzzzzzziiinnnnnnnn a bit there with the 'learning' thing.....

Humps?

Humps are not good.

Well....

They're good when sledding....

or riding a dirt bike...

hey.....

The Humpty Dance is good.....

everything is a permutation of naughty bits......

back on topic.....

the hump...

the best way to deal with problems is to avoid having them, eh?

don't want to get so smart that we get stupid as Grandpa said so many times.....

I started typing out basic music theory things in this section...we're getting up to Chapter 7 or something....but have said over and over it's not the way I taught music theory...

the starting point would be from VERY BASIC music reading...

we know the name of ONE NOTE....we start from a point of COMPLETE understanding.....and we progress effortlessly....

no humps....

Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 04-26-2002, 07:21 PM

Smile

basic music reading.....

plop out (in TABLATURE, with note names) for the student the chords (triads) that they are playing the simple melody over...

they know at a 100% level (!!!!!!) the names of the notes they are playing....

so......

then.....

it's awfully darn easy to start explaining theory with spoken language.....chord tones vs. non-chord tones, etc.....

....they can converse..

...they can ask...

...they can listen..

....they can test (do that old 'confirm person of authority is competent....then try like hell to prove he/she is wrong about something' thing that everyone in the world does....

try to begin from a point of incomplete understanding? Blah. Mapletrees doesn't want to play.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:48 AM

Mapletrees,

How on earth could I take anything you say about me personally?!? I can't for the life of me figure out why you're apologizing to me.

I've been trying to figure ut how to make my CD player spin backwards to hear all of the Mark Hanson demon music (at your suggestions).

The difference between a major and a minor is a flatted third, a flatted third. How could I forget?!? That's the last time I try to reply to a TGF post and code up a job at work at the same time. You should have seen all the errors in my log screen from the job I submitted while replying to this thread. Not only did I get the chord formation wrong, but I also screwed up my code.

David
Old 04-29-2002, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by david_m
Mapletrees,

I've been trying to figure ut how to make my CD player spin backwards to hear all of the Mark Hanson demon music (at your suggestions).

David
This one is easy! Just turn the CD over...

On another note (pardon the pun), but, all along I thought that I knew how to finger different cords. That is until I watched a Chris Proctor video I recently got. For instance, until now, I've been playing an open "G" using my index finger. Now I see that Chris does not use his index finger for this cord. Geeze, now I gotta learn this all over again. It feels really awkward.

There has to be somewhere a person can go to "see" the proper fingering for different progressions. Yeah, I know that the fingering will not necessarly be the same on all progressions, but, I'm sure there's some kind of method to this madness.

I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone in this question. Anyone wanna take a stab at it?
Old 04-30-2002, 11:11 AM

At the risk of screwing up yet again..........

For the G chord in first position (300023 from high to low), I would recommend the following:

Third finger on the third fret of the sixth string
Second finger on the second fret of the fifth string
fourth finger (pinky) on the third fret of the first string

This is usually very uncomfortable for the beginning player. Whenever I show this formation for the first time the response is always the same, "Why would you want to do it that way?!?" There are two major reasons why this is the preferred way to finger a first position G chord:

1. It is VERY easy to switch back and forth from a first postion G to a first position C with this fingering.

2. It forces you to exercise and learn to use your pinky. The pinky is 25% of your fretting fingers and it MUST be used effectively.

Incidentally, I say the pinky is 25% of the fretting fingers because I would sooner walk down main street naked than hook my thumb orver the neck and fret a note with it. The thumb is really not a fretting finger. Regardless of what some folks say, using your thumb to fret notes is bad technique. If it makes you happy to use your thumb, then go crazy, but it's not my cup of tea.

Hope this is helpful,

David
Old 05-05-2002, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by david_m
At the risk of screwing up yet again..........

For the G chord in first position (300023 from high to low), I would recommend the following:

Third finger on the third fret of the sixth string
Second finger on the second fret of the fifth string
fourth finger (pinky) on the third fret of the first string

This is usually very uncomfortable for the beginning player. Whenever I show this formation for the first time the response is always the same, "Why would you want to do it that way?!?" There are two major reasons why this is the preferred way to finger a first position G chord:

1. It is VERY easy to switch back and forth from a first postion G to a first position C with this fingering.

2. It forces you to exercise and learn to use your pinky. The pinky is 25% of your fretting fingers and it MUST be used effectively.

Incidentally, I say the pinky is 25% of the fretting fingers because I would sooner walk down main street naked than hook my thumb orver the neck and fret a note with it. The thumb is really not a fretting finger. Regardless of what some folks say, using your thumb to fret notes is bad technique. If it makes you happy to use your thumb, then go crazy, but it's not my cup of tea.

Hope this is helpful,

David
I agree. The pinky is a very important finger to use if you want to be a complte player. Wthout it you're pretty much stuck with basic open chords. If you lern the G with the pinky first like I did it's much easier. Old habits are hard to break. I taught my 13 yr. old to do it this way and he picked it right up. Use your thumb? Never!

814ce-LTD Brazilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell