The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Western Folklife Center Videos--Cowboy Content!

There is some pro footage of some complete shows from last week's National Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, NV. This is the biggest festival of it's kind. I'm jealous that a bunch of my friends went, but happy that the Western Folklife Center made them available. The quality is pretty darn good, and I've watched most of them. Some cool guitars, and great hats!
This was a tribute to Ian Tyson show, my favorite songwriter. He's been in poor health more recently, but happy to see he made it to the show--and that he's still writing at 85!! (you can link to other shows if it's your thing).

https://youtu.be/P0nxWNJGN40
Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 PM

That was fantastic! The song that really got to me was Bob Fudge. Wow. Talk about painting a picture with words, and pulling emotions.

Thanks so much for posting this.
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62&climbing View Post
That was fantastic! The song that really got to me was Bob Fudge. Wow. Talk about painting a picture with words, and pulling emotions.

Thanks so much for posting this.
You’re welcome! Yes Dave Stamey did a great job on that one—I’ve seen Dave a bunch—he was well rehearsed, and made Bob Fudge his own. Dave is an awesome songwriter in his own right, and at the top of the heap in the genre. I also thought MM Murphy had a great arrangement of the song he chose (even though it wasn’t a Tyson song)—loved his finger picking on it.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Yes, MM was very good. Another emotion filled moment was the guy (cant remember the name) that read the story about the cemetery and the family that found the Tyson CD. Don't know how you can stand up and get through that story. Powerful.
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN