The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 AM
Shades of Blue's Avatar
Shades of Blue Shades of Blue is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,899
Default Out of sight, out of mind...

Well, the acoustics have all gone in their cases and put in the closet to be humidified for the winter. Living in SC, I can usually go until January before my house is constantly under 40% RH. Once I notice that the RH doesn't get out of the 30% range, they get put away.

With that, comes zero play time for me. When guitars are out on their stands, I play just about everyday, even if for just a few minutes. However, once in the packed closet, they are out of sight, out of mind.

So, what to do with this break? Do I give some of my other hobbies some attention? Do I pull out the camera and snap some outdoor shots, fly the drone, or go shooting? I will probably do a lot of that over the coming months. I think I'll put one of my electrics out on a stand so I can at least grab a guitar and play....or not.

What about you? Does this happen to anyone else?
__________________
Martin D-28
Gibson J-45
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 AM
llew llew is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 7,850
Default

Don't know where you live in SC but here on the coast it's business as usual. Currently 49%RH in the room with my guitars...gotta play everyday?
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Shades of Blue's Avatar
Shades of Blue Shades of Blue is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Don't know where you live in SC but here on the coast it's business as usual. Currently 49%RH in the room with my guitars...gotta play everyday?
I'm just south of Charlotte across the NC/SC line. My house is currently at 35% RH because I'm running the heat to warm the women folk! Honestly, I have so many hobbies that I don't mind the break from guitar so much. These days, I swear my hobby seems to be spending money on gear vs playing!
__________________
Martin D-28
Gibson J-45
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 AM
Goodallboy Goodallboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East TN
Posts: 4,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Well, the acoustics have all gone in their cases and put in the closet to be humidified for the winter. Living in SC, I can usually go until January before my house is constantly under 40% RH. Once I notice that the RH doesn't get out of the 30% range, they get put away.

With that, comes zero play time for me. When guitars are out on their stands, I play just about everyday, even if for just a few minutes. However, once in the packed closet, they are out of sight, out of mind.

So, what to do with this break? Do I give some of my other hobbies some attention? Do I pull out the camera and snap some outdoor shots, fly the drone, or go shooting? I will probably do a lot of that over the coming months. I think I'll put one of my electrics out on a stand so I can at least grab a guitar and play....or not.



What about you? Does this happen to anyone else?
I can’t relate at all to your situation. Playing guitar is never out of my mind for long.
I live in TN, not geographically far removed from SC and can’t imagine 30% humidity. We also keep our house cool in the winter and don’t have our heat up so high it dries us or my guitars out. The humidity in our home stays between 45-55% year round.
Your “or not” comment regarding putting out the electric seems to reveal low motivation to play your guitars. Not to worry though, they’ll be safe in their cases until spring.
__________________
McCollum Grand Auditorum Euro Spruce/Brazilian
PRS Hollowbody Spruce
PRS SC58
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM
ctvolfan ctvolfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 150
Default

Well I understand protecting your investments but at the end of the day guitars are meant to be played.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Quebec Picker Quebec Picker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 170
Default

Get a humidifier. Up here in Montreal it's been -15 most of the last few days, so needless to say the heating is ON. With my humidifier in my living room, my humidity is at a stable 50%. Guitars are out and ready for action.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 AM
maxcgoodman maxcgoodman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 54
Default

Have you thought about buying a humidifier for the room where you keep your guitars? Single room humidifiers can be had for fairly cheap on Amazon and they require little maintenance. That's what I do in the winter and it works extremely well. In fact, it's much more convenient than trying to keep up with in case and/or soundhole humidifiers, especially if you have multiple guitars.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Brooklyn Bob Brooklyn Bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hamilton Square, NJ
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Well I understand protecting your investments but at the end of the day guitars are meant to be played.
Really. Do all guitarists in SC hibernate?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Sloplay Sloplay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 67
Default

Hmmm....laminates have their strong points....hmmmm.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 AM
ctvolfan ctvolfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I can’t relate at all to your situation. Playing guitar is never out of my mind for long.
I live in TN, not geographically far removed from SC and can’t imagine 30% humidity. We also keep our house cool in the winter and don’t have our heat up so high it dries us or my guitars out. The humidity in our home stays between 45-55% year round.
Your “or not” comment regarding putting out the electric seems to reveal low motivation to play your guitars. Not to worry though, they’ll be safe in their cases until spring.
I live in Tennessee too, (East) and my humidity is about the same and I have had an all wood Taylor 214 for 13 years mostly on a stand and not in the case and never once humidified it and there are no cracks to be seen. I do however humidify my 714 but that is because I paid so much for it and after reading the horror stories of cracked guitars has me scared but honestly, I bet if I never humidified it then it would still be fine. But you can bet it gets played year round!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 AM
Muddslide Muddslide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 727
Default

Maybe it's just me...actually, I'm pretty certain it's just me...but I would not spend great sums just to own something that is so fragile and and temperamental that I could only enjoy it 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the year. Or, for that matter, so fussy that I had to worry much about the effects of humidity or topography, etc., that it was a chore just to see after its care to the level I had to alter my environment. As much as I love very nice guitars, that's not something I'm willing to put up with...it's not enjoyable to me.

What about a carbon fiber guitar or some nice laminate that you can play year round and not worry about?
__________________
"A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

- John Shedd
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 AM
llew llew is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 7,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Really. Do all guitarists in SC hibernate?
NO....not at all!
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 AM
golfreggie's Avatar
golfreggie golfreggie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PRINCETON, TX
Posts: 1,108
Default

I am surprised I have never thought of this question before or seen any commentary on the Forum, but I wonder if guitar players in, let's say, 1915 era, if they took precautions against humidity. I wonder if they even knew it could be an issue or if they just set it up against a wall at home and picked it up and played it. Does anyone have knowledge of how guitars were treated in the "good ol' days"?
__________________
Reggie
Taylor 2016 818E
2016 BREEDLOVE LEGACY DREAD COCOBOLO
2016 Taylor K26ce all Koa
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Rockysdad Rockysdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: El Paso, Tx. You might want to add an H and another L originally from Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 648
Default

I have to keep my guitars cased with humidifiers *all* the time, I live in far west Texas. A simple *flip* of all case latches allows me to remove the guitars and play.
__________________
Herman

Larrivee L-10, L-03 Custom Shop FM,
Guild & others.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 AM
DCCougar DCCougar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
With that, comes zero play time for me.
That's awful! I just discovered that the climate here in the Wild West "is generally subhumid, not semi-arid as often claimed." Whatever. All I know is the humidity can get pretty low.

I keep my guitars in their cases all the time. The cases have damp sponges inside baggies to keep the humidity up, and each case has a cheap-o hygrometer. No crazing or top cracks so far!

I've just gotten used to opening a case and removing the guitar (then closing the case - there's moisture in there!) Gotta play a guitar daily! Not for any real long time, but still. You ought to try it!
__________________
2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
2018 Gibson Songwriter Ltd. Ed. 12-string
2014 Martin GPC12PA4

2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS


1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=