The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:33 PM
MrHooligan73 MrHooligan73 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
There's a lot of talent going on there in the performance and I'm a bit mesmerized by the playing, but if my eyes were closed and say if I heard this on a elevator or in a restaurant (pick any environment where you're eyes aren't able to see the performer) it doesn't really stand out on its own. It's just pleasant background/mood music.



I'm not saying everyone should feel the same way I do, but If mustering an emotional response for the piece requires I watch it being performed to gain appreciation of the effort, that means the novelty is all in the performance itself... I like for the music to be the product, not the performers acrobatics. If an artist can do both (Tommy Emmanuel) then great, but the music itself must always sell it to me.


Your not alone in feeling that way. I have the same feeling. If you arenít watching or didnít watch it and just heard it it tends to be quite bland to the war. When you see it there is a sense of awe but that went away quickly for me.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 AM
jessupe jessupe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Marin Co.Ca.
Posts: 722
Default

I think someofwhat people are hearing in this, beside thetappy stuff, and tricks,like that stuff or not....I get a sense that many feel there is a certain sterility to the recording.

Quite frankly I could agree on that, it's almost as if the recording is "too" good "too" clean.

there is virtually no natural dynamics , no natural amplitude changes, one may say sterile,or robotic

This is often times a thing that in the past was levied against Asian violin players who were accused of playing the music so perfectly and cleanly yet somehow lacking "feeling" ...Very much like people not of the western culture trying their hand at it, being precise tacticians, but because they are not of the culture, some elements were lost in translation.

I personally don't feel that was the case, and racism or cultural difference may have played a part in that summary,it's certainly not the case today, as many of the top players are of Asian decent and play with plenty of feeling...

I guess the reason I bring it up is that we knowingly or unknowingly seek "naturalness" in a performance and recording where it sounds technically perfect, no mistakes, but we want to hear the dynamics also, when those dynamics get "air brushed" over with perfect electronic recordings smoothing everything out it can become "soul less" sounding.

So that may be an unsaid "thing" that many may be hearing, the recording or final cut is "too" good
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 AM
stringjunky2 stringjunky2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
I think someofwhat people are hearing in this, beside thetappy stuff, and tricks,like that stuff or not....I get a sense that many feel there is a certain sterility to the recording.

Quite frankly I could agree on that, it's almost as if the recording is "too" good "too" clean.

there is virtually no natural dynamics , no natural amplitude changes, one may say sterile,or robotic

This is often times a thing that in the past was levied against Asian violin players who were accused of playing the music so perfectly and cleanly yet somehow lacking "feeling" ...Very much like people not of the western culture trying their hand at it, being precise tacticians, but because they are not of the culture, some elements were lost in translation.

I personally don't feel that was the case, and racism or cultural difference may have played a part in that summary,it's certainly not the case today, as many of the top players are of Asian decent and play with plenty of feeling...

I guess the reason I bring it up is that we knowingly or unknowingly seek "naturalness" in a performance and recording where it sounds technically perfect, no mistakes, but we want to hear the dynamics also, when those dynamics get "air brushed" over with perfect electronic recordings smoothing everything out it can become "soul less" sounding.

So that may be an unsaid "thing" that many may be hearing, the recording or final cut is "too" good
It's probably those unconscious and spontaneous little changes in the attack and cadence i.e. errors, that give the listeners the cues as to what the player is feeling. There probably comes a point in playing and production where you have to say "That's it... any more perfecting and it will sound dead".
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-17-2018, 04:29 AM
AndrewG AndrewG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Exeter, UK
Posts: 6,394
Default

Not my thing at all, but 10/10 for effort.
__________________
Martin D-18, 2018
Guild Jumbo Junior, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Long Jon Long Jon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London UK
Posts: 9,236
Default

The problem with this piece for me is that however well it is played instrumentally ,
I happen to have the misfortune to know all the stoopid words to the song.

I’m never gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm ,,,, Aaaaarrrghhh !
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 11,027
Default

Like many here I think there is no question the young man's technical talent is tremendous.
That said I do not see offering that a style is not one own personal "thing", as being particularly critical or displaying vitriol per se. I think this a case of "It's not what you say but how you say it.


I also am not a big fan of the tappy type style, but I did ( as opposed to probably 70% to 80% of the admittedly limited exposure I have experienced ) actually listened to the entire piece . Which says a fair amount right there.

One of the reasons I lasted so long I think perhaps is that only constant repetitive sound was his thumb heal bump (Lower pitch and volume) . Which to me blends better and sits in the composition much better than the constant repetition of the hard finger polk or slap on the guitar body (higher pitch & sharper ) sound that may tappy aficionado's employ.
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-17-2018, 09:57 AM
rokdog49 rokdog49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 8,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
The problem with this piece for me is that however well it is played instrumentally ,
I happen to have the misfortune to know all the stoopid words to the song.

Iím never gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm ,,,, Aaaaarrrghhh !
I'm sure you know these lyrics were aimed directly at the ladies who love hearing the guy is suffering because he blew it with his lover. Sells records.
__________________
Three is enough for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Eastman E10 00 SS Sunburst
And a Copperburst Tele
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Long Jon Long Jon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London UK
Posts: 9,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm sure you know these lyrics were aimed directly at the ladies who love hearing the guy is suffering because he blew it with his lover. Sells records.
Oh yeah Jamie, ol’ George knew how to write a pop song,
my familiarity with the lyrics is cuz of a lady friend’s input to evenings of chillin’ and taking turns at V-Jaying on YouTube.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Jambi Jambi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: A place
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
For those who think that who does a bit of tapping is only relying on gimmicks, give Antoine Dufour a listen seriously amazing musician with an incredible ear and Sense of Melody.
+1. Antoine is a composer first and foremost who uses any technique necessary to accomplish his arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
It does fascinate me how tapping seems to bring out a certain level of vitriol. Most things people don't like they just ignore and move on, but the tapping thing seems to strike a nerve for some reason. Can't quite figure it out.
I imagine the idea of banging on your guitar that cost 5+ grand might be unsavory for some.
__________________
Why would you be reading a signature when there's so much V-Brace stuff to talk about?

Last edited by Jambi; 01-17-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-20-2018, 08:06 AM
jwellsy jwellsy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 525
Default

Ran across this and enjoyed it. It's a very nice tapping interpretation of classic rock song.

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-20-2018, 12:09 PM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
As far as I know, John Gomm is the originator of the "tappy fingerstyle stuff with the addition of tuning machine tweaks" style

Nah. Jon is great, but he didn't originate that.

Adrian Legg pioneered the retuning while you play thing in the 1980s. I've been doing it with the alternative technique stuff since the 1990s.

It's a bit of an obvious thing to do tbh.
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM
guitar george guitar george is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 49th parallel north
Posts: 3,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Nah. Jon is great, but he didn't originate that.

Adrian Legg pioneered the retuning while you play thing in the 1980s. I've been doing it with the alternative technique stuff since the 1990s.

It's a bit of an obvious thing to do tbh.
Have you checked out AGF member rogthefrog's creative guitar playing techniques in his videos? Here's one and there are two more in his signature line above.
Great job Rog.

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-22-2018, 04:31 PM
fngrpck fngrpck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 305
Default

The kid has a lot of talent, dedication and drive and should be applauded for all that. I enjoyed his performance, more power to him!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:47 PM
jessupe jessupe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Marin Co.Ca.
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Have you checked out AGF member rogthefrog's creative guitar playing techniques in his videos? Here's one and there are two more in his signature line above.
Great job Rog.

Roger is a great player! very unique and progressive style
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 PM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,065
Default

Aw, thanks you guys <3
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=