The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-04-2017, 08:16 PM

Default "Allow myself to introduce...myself" My first post and build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Not to hijack here, and I understand what your thoughts are on this subject...I can tell you that the sides contribute nothing at all to the sound so trying to accomplish your answers by different sides and backs will not get you anything. The sides transmit nothing and contribute nothing to the sound according to every luthier I have ever met. All the sides do is provide the stiffness needed to support the top and back...a lot of builders are laminating the sides to keep the guitar light and yet still provide the stiffness desired.

I used to be certain of this. You’ve played Bruce sexauers guitars at Woodstock though right?. After playing Bruce’s guitars and talking to him about his "living" guitar philosophy, I'm not entirely certain anymore. Id like to know if he has something to say about the sides in that regard.

Last edited by AnthonyLattanze; 11-04-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I doubt that a wood wedge/panel in back has any perceptable effect on sound. Martin went to the 3-piece on the D-35 because it was getting hartder to find sizeable Brazilian pieces back in the mid-60s. How the panel is braced might have an effect, though probably not something I could hear. But cosmetically it works and I can remember a time when everybody had to have a D-35.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 PM

Default "Allow myself to introduce...myself" My first post and build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Firs,t welcome Anthony.

Second, and more importantly...CONGRATULATIONS on that life changing little nugett! Children are the most amazing creation ever.

Third, Your guitar looks amazing. The detail and looks of the build quality are superb. If it sounds as good as it looks, you have a great future as a luthier.

Thanks on all three counts!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Very interesting. Can you tell me the luthiers that are laminating the back and sides to keep the guitar light. I would like to audition some of those guitars. A interesting concept.

Lots of modern builders from the Symogyi camp or ones that have read his books are laminating sides, though some who have even apprenticed with him prefer solid sides. I'm sure there's threads on the forum about modern vs. traditional builders. Laminating sides would be one of the differences. Great guitars are made with either. Just depends on preferences.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Love the balance of your headstock logo. Can't imagine what #50 will look like!....Robert

Thanks Robert!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Nice guit-fiddle you made there, Anthony. The person in the picture appears to be ogling your creation too [emoji6]

Thank you so much!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyLattanze View Post
If I had to make a claim, I would suggest that the guitar has some punch to its attack time that may or not be influenced by the mahogany strip. It is right under the sound hole and bridge so I’m open to he idea. But someone with 35 style guitars with 3 piece backs might have more of an expertise. I merely built a three piece back because the board I built it from wasn't wide enough for a two piece. The length was small too, hence the larger end graft where the sides didn't meet.
Thank you Anthony. I am not a builder, only a player. However I have been a builder-designer in many other areas. I am in the camp that believes everything...but everything, makes some type of difference. So it is exciting to myself to hear that there might be a possibility of adding some punch to the rosewood sound. Unfortunately it would take lots more guitars to validate such a notion. Regardless it is always fun to dream of combinations and how they might effect the sound. Great looking guitar...Fantastic first build. Look forward to seeing your future builds. Really look forward to hearing some sound clips from this fine instrument!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyLattanze View Post
A new addition.

My first born, Felix, arrived Monday. It's hard to put into words, the feeling. At the risk of sounding trite, "life-changing" is a good summation. My wife and I have been settling in, mostly staring at the little nugget, but I was able to peel away and get to Bills for a spray session.

Felix and I

As a player and a father I can attest to the fact that your greatest creation is your beautiful son Felix. Congrats and good luck to your build and your family's new arrival. Know get some rest and go back to the build in between diaper changes and late night feeds...wonderful journey.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:43 PM

IMG_7141.jpg
IMG_7142.jpgIMG_7144.jpgIMG_7149.jpg

Thanks everyone. Got #002 strung up today!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Welcome to the AGF and first off I want to say, congrats on your new born little one! Your life will now be ever changing from this point on. in a good way.
I started off much the same way with repairs for years first and making guitars after. Your doing well and look forward to seeing more of your creations.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
Welcome to the AGF and first off I want to say, congrats on your new born little one! Your life will now be ever changing from this point on. in a good way.

I started off much the same way with repairs for years first and making guitars after. Your doing well and look forward to seeing more of your creations.

Thanks so much for the kindness. He's about 3 months now and getting cooler every day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop