The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-26-2022, 08:19 PM

Default Yamaha NTX1 vs NTX700?

Does anyone know which one would be the best pick? Ntx700 seems to be discontinued so will need to purchase used. And the ntx1 is the same price but brand new.

It seems the ntx700 pickup is a bit better? However I'll be mostly playing unplugged.

Which one would you get?
Old 07-27-2022, 09:34 AM

I've had both and just recently got the NTX1. I owned the NTX700 several years ago so based on fading memory, I really don't see any real difference. When I bought the NTX1, I was told the neck had been improved. Hard to say. If pressed to pick one over the other, I would say it's a toss up. YMMV, good luck an let us know what you get.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 07-27-2022, 09:43 AM

Hey Mike
Thanks for your input! I'll get the ntx1 then since I prefer purchasing it brand new from a store.

How do you like yours?

Cheers
Old 07-27-2022, 09:47 AM

I have the NCX1 but have not played any of the first-generation NX line. Spec-wise (looking at just the woods), they're similar in that both use solid sitka spruce tops.

When the second-generation NX were introduced, Yamaha touted refinements to the bracing "that enhance low-frequency response without compromising durability". That might be true but I don't know that it might make a perceptible difference. I'm guessing that they might be using thinner fan braces on the bass side.

You're correct in that NTX700 has a better pick-up system (SYSTEM61 + ART 2-Way Pickup). The NTX1 has pretty much the same pick-up as the NTX500 (System 73 undersaddle piezo).

Last edited by CoastStrings; 07-27-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:17 PM

I just got a new NTX3 last week. Hopefully, this will be a keeper.

I tried out the NTX1 in a store a few weeks ago, and was impressed by the build quality and playability.

I opted for the NTX3 for the all solid woods and improved onboard pu/mic system.

First impression is very positive. Setup and playability were top notch. Stock strings not so much, so I changed them for a set of high tension D'addarios. A couple of quarter turns on the truss rod and good to go.

I had a Cordoba GK Pro Negra that was a gorgeous guitar, but I never quite gelled with it. Mostly because the ergonomics didn't quite fit me - I play fingerstyle with a thumb pick 99% of the time, and something about that Cordoba felt off.

The Yamaha is way better in that regard, and it has opened up nicely as well and is starting to sound very good. Lively and with sufficient bass.

I have large hands and the only possible concern I have thus far is that the narrow neck is a bit too small for me. It is 48mm, but it seems even tighter than that to me. I am working on it, and hopefully I will get used to it, because in every other aspect this is a great guitar!

Even the so called gig bag is great - more like a case, but with a zip lock rather than latched locks.

The NTX1 is about half the price of the NTX3 I believe, can't really go much wrong with either in my opionion. Just beware the narrow necks - I do a lot of left hand thumb overs, but for more classical oriented players I think the NCX models are a better fit.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 07-27-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post

First impression is very positive. Setup and playability were top notch.

I have large hands and the only possible concern I have thus far is that the narrow neck is a bit too small for me. It is 48mm, but it seems even tighter than that to me.
I'm absolutely happy with my NCX1. I'm now tempted to get an NCX3C but Guitar Center seems to have no stock at all.

What surprised me was that the action on mine was perfect. I typically do my own set-ups but I didn't have to file the nut slots or sand-down the saddle on mine. I've done that for Yamahas C and CG series and was expecting to have to do the same with a guitar from the NX series. I was pleased with what I found with my action gauge and my feeler gauges.

Have you tried the 52mm nut width on the NCX line?
Old 07-27-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post

I tried out the NTX1 in a store a few weeks ago, and was impressed by the build quality and playability.

I opted for the NTX3 for the all solid woods and improved onboard pu/mic system.

First impression is very positive. Setup and playability were top notch. Stock strings not so much, so I changed them for a set of high tension D'addarios. A couple of quarter turns on the truss rod and good to go.

I had a Cordoba GK Pro Negra that was a gorgeous guitar, but I never quite gelled with it. Mostly because the ergonomics didn't quite fit me - I play fingerstyle with a thumb pick 99% of the time, and something about that Cordoba felt off.

The Yamaha is way better in that regard, and it has opened up nicely as well and is starting to sound very good. Lively and with sufficient bass.

I have large hands and the only possible concern I have thus far is that the narrow neck is a bit too small for me. It is 48mm, but it seems even tighter than that to me. I am working on it, and hopefully I will get used to it, because in every other aspect this is a great guitar!

Even the so called gig bag is great - more like a case, but with a zip lock rather than latched locks.

The NTX1 is about half the price of the NTX3 I believe, can't really go much wrong with either in my opionion. Just beware the narrow necks - I do a lot of left hand thumb overs, but for more classical oriented players I think the NCX models are a better fit.

I love hearing such a positive report about this guitar. Mine arrives Friday!
Old 07-28-2022, 05:50 AM

Decided to go with the ntx1 as I prefer purchasing it new from a store.

What should I know about nylon strings? Are hard tension better? Are carbon strings better?

Plan not only to fingerpick but also strumming...
Old 07-28-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues88 View Post
What should I know about nylon strings? Are hard tension better? Are carbon strings better?
When we speak of nylon, carbon, or titanium, we're referring only to the three treble strings. As a general rule, carbon is usually the brightest. Titanium's brightness is between carbon and nylon.

With nylon strings, some classical guitarists complain that the 3rd string (the thickest treble) can sound "tubby". So they will instead get a set with a carbon or titanium 3rd string. I haven't confirmed this, but I suspect that the NTX1 might come with titanium strings. The factory strings on my NCX1 had a bluish-grey hue to them.

Which type of string to use will depend on your taste and the inherent tonal characteristics of the guitar you receive.

In general, increased tension will result in a punchier/louder guitar but sustain will be reduced. More effort will be needed to fret the strings so playability may be affected (but you may not notice if you're accustomed to steel strings).

I've strung my NCX1 with a mixed-tension (hard basses, normal trebles) mixed-composition (1st & 2nd nylon, 3rd carbon) set. I play only fingerstyle and I often use alternate tunings (DADGAD, DADF#AD, DGDGBD, and CGCGCD) so this combination works for me.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 07-28-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:53 AM

Oh bummer! It just arrived but they sent the ncx1 by mistake, so I just returned it.

Not sure if universe is giving me a chance to reconsider getting another model. Will take a few days to give it some thought haha
Old 07-28-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues88 View Post
Oh bummer! It just arrived but they sent the ncx1 by mistake, so I just returned it.
I can't say that this is the first time I've heard of a guitar shipment mix-up.

You should have at least given it a short tryout.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:34 PM

I knew there was zero chance of me keeping it as I've played a flat and large fretboard before and didn't like it at all, but mostly was so bummed that I just wanted to get rid of it and get a refund asap.

:/
Old 07-29-2022, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I'm absolutely happy with my NCX1. I'm now tempted to get an NCX3C but Guitar Center seems to have no stock at all.

What surprised me was that the action on mine was perfect. I typically do my own set-ups but I didn't have to file the nut slots or sand-down the saddle on mine. I've done that for Yamahas C and CG series and was expecting to have to do the same with a guitar from the NX series. I was pleased with what I found with my action gauge and my feeler gauges.

Have you tried the 52mm nut width on the NCX line?
No, I haven't tried the wider nut NCX line.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical