The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 10:29 PM

Default SensorPush

I must say this remote temp and humidity monitoring product is pretty darn polished...Incase anyone is looking for one. I know some on here are familiar with it, but for those who are not...great product...software is very clean and simple...

The gear itself is also very high quality.

I’m deploying 2 sensors in my guitar case and 1 in my practice room...

Easy setup.

All 3 sensors are consistent with one another, and I have the impression their humidity reading is quite accurate...I’m confirming it right now with the Boveda calibration kit...The software allows for the sensors to be calibrated in the event they are off a bit...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-17-2019, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

They are great. I have four of them. All monitored from the app. Customer service questions are quickly answered. It is a small company run by a couple of guys. Hands down better overall than Humiditrak system I used to have.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
They are great. I have four of them. All monitored from the app. Customer service questions are quickly answered. It is a small company run by a couple of guys. Hands down better overall than Humiditrak system I used to have.
Did you calibrate your sensors?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

They absolutely blow the doors off Humiditrak, in my opinion. The battery life on the Humiditrak is pretty low, with about 2 months tops. Frankly, I mostly don’t bother changing them anymore.

The SensorPush battery life is excellent, and I’ve already gone months without needing a change. The background update is also much more reliable, as is the range of the sensor to the phone.

I like the interface, which is a bit more sophisticated and flexible. If they added the ability to associate a photo icon with each sensor, I would call the product perfect.

Oh, and you can calibrate it. I found mine to be about 2 points low when stabilized with a 69% RH standard. That, frankly, is good enough for me. I’d be curious if it would measure 2 points low against a 40% RH standard (i.e. is the error offset consistent across the measurement range?).

Also, you can buy their wireless hub and have your sensor transmit data to the cloud, thus enabling you to monitor your sensors remotely.

Either way, fantastic product. Much more reliable and useful than the Humiditrak (which also works fine if you don’t mind changing batteries every couple of months).
Old 08-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
…I have the impression their humidity reading is quite accurate...I’m confirming it right now with the Boveda calibration kit...The software allows for the sensors to be calibrated in the event they are off a bit...

Cheers
Hi Db

Do you think they will protect a guitar better than a conscientious person who uses a sponge-in-a-zip-lock humidification system for his/her case, or a room humidifier for others?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Did you calibrate your sensors?
Yes. They remain very accurate.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Db

Do you think they will protect a guitar better than a conscientious person who uses a sponge-in-a-zip-lock humidification system for his/her case, or a room humidifier for others?

The benefit of the sensors is that oftentimes humidification isn’t necessary inside the cases. Takes the guesswork out.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Db

Yeah, you're talking about 2 different things there my friend...Humidifying vs validating how well you are managing to control the humidity.

I really have a really good impression of the product so far.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
They absolutely blow the doors off Humiditrak, in my opinion. The battery life on the Humiditrak is pretty low, with about 2 months tops. Frankly, I mostly don’t bother changing them anymore.

The SensorPush battery life is excellent, and I’ve already gone months without needing a change. The background update is also much more reliable, as is the range of the sensor to the phone.

I like the interface, which is a bit more sophisticated and flexible. If they added the ability to associate a photo icon with each sensor, I would call the product perfect.

Oh, and you can calibrate it. I found mine to be about 2 points low when stabilized with a 69% RH standard. That, frankly, is good enough for me. I’d be curious if it would measure 2 points low against a 40% RH standard (i.e. is the error offset consistent across the measurement range?).

Also, you can buy their wireless hub and have your sensor transmit data to the cloud, thus enabling you to monitor your sensors remotely.

Either way, fantastic product. Much more reliable and useful than the Humiditrak (which also works fine if you don’t mind changing batteries every couple of months).
I have the gateway setup and it is slick.

I wish it would send email alerts when the detected humidity steps outside of your configured ideal range but it does not. It will only alert on the app. I emailed them, however, and they said that this is coming. It is in testing right now.

These 3 SensorPush sensors I have are bang on accurate to one another for both temperature and humidity, but they read about 6% lower than an Accurite hygrometer that I just calibrated using a 75 RH Boveda calibration kit. The Accurite prior to calibration was reading 3% lower than it should (i.e.: 72), and the SensorPush sensors were reading 3% lower than it on average, so I'm expecting the SensorPush sensors to only get to 69% in the calibration kit...My guess...

I am calibrating the SensorPush sensors right now and they are taking forever to rise in their reading. They've been in the kit now for 21 hours and they are only at about 67.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yes. They remain very accurate.
When you did the calibration did they take forever to adjust like I'm experiencing right now? They just seem to be a lot slower in adjusting up to read towards the 75 RH level of the Boveda calibration kit than my other Accurite hygrometers.

Do you remember?

Also, do you remember how far off they were?

As I stated in another response, my feeling is that all 3 are going to end up being about 6% lower than they should be.

Thanks
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Their response time is definitely great. I'm impressed. I've contacted them a few times now for different things and they are really good in that way. High quality product, great support...What more can you ask for?

I'm still only a couple days in, but if these things end up being reliable I will stay in their ecosystem for sure.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

You pose a good question in here...I wonder the same...If it reads 3 below my 75 RH calibration kit does that mean it is off by 3 generally at any RH level? I wonder...

If not, calibrating closer to the true range that we will be keeping our guitars in would likely be a smarter route...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Well, I think this video right from Boveda more or less implies that you should probably be calibrating closer to the RH you will be storing at? Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to be using one of these 75 RH kits I'm using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cEkI8s1SNEQ

Bah
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:

LOL. Darnit, okay this is the deal...Guy from Boveda responded in the comments of the video link I just told you guys about above saying that the most accurate level for hygrometer calibration is at 75 RH. You can calibrate at other levels but the testing is less precise...Even a calibration at 72 RH is not as accurate, so I would expect calibration at 40 RH to be quite a bit less accurate. Exact quote from Boveda -->

"It's a scientific best practice to use 75% RH (sodium chloride aka table salt) as the standard for calibration because it yields 0.03% degree of variance. The 72% RH Boveda pack is a mixture of salts which yields a 1% degree of variance. This is why we recommend using the 75% RH for calibration. Hope this helps!"
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I tried the only option I could find (was ineffective) and haven ye to find a solution that will push text alerts out to my phone while I'm away.

I want to find something (don't even need battery) that connects to WiFi and sends limit alerts to my phone.

I know there are industrial and laboratory versions (I use them at work) but I want a simple home solution in case I'm away and my humidity dips too low.

Can't find that solution - might try building an Arduino-based system,

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion