The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I spent twenty years with nothing but Gibson and then recording studio work made it impossible to hide. I started with a G&L S-500 Strat-ish. I like the neck a bunch but I've found that bending against the trem is uncomfortable. Eventually I got a Tele and immediately felt more at home. I'm still Gibson- centric but I use the Tele really often. The G&L gets used when I need to wobble a chord or do the whammy stuff.

Oh, and you know what they say about finding a Les Paul that sounds something like a Tele? I did.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I had my ‘50s Roadworn Telecaster plugged into.......
Yuch! (Sorry).
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM

My favorite electric is my studio Les Paul. When I got it I compared it to every other LP in two different stores it is a used '06 and this was in 2017, but to my ears and fingers it was hands down better than the newer Studios and even better than the more expensive LP models they had as well. I'm not sure what it is about that particular Les Paul but it really resonates with me, I guess she has a sweet personality.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 07-24-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Yuch! (Sorry).
It’s my no.1 electric guitar with the most secure fit and ‘snap’ of the input jack to boot.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Some beautiful guitars, Chickee. I have a few Strats but I don't find them nearly as comfortable as my Les Pauls or SGs. It's great to have a Strat though when I want that "stratty" tone.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Some beautiful guitars, Chickee. I have a few Strats but I don't find them nearly as comfortable as my Les Pauls or SGs. It's great to have a Strat though when I want that "stratty" tone.
Comfort wise, an SG is right there with any Stratocaster, in my book. Feather light, compact size and a super slick neck. I’m with you, Dru.

Les Paul’s, though iconic and gorgeous, are just like Telecasters to me. Much too heavy and all sharp edges. I’ve given up on those body styles but love to hear others play them😂
Old 07-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Have been thinking and trying some electrics for a while. Started with Fender and worked my way back to a Fender Stratocaster that really caught my attention..Honey, my birthday is coming up
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:42 PM

And yes, the ones you posted in the picture are sweet looking,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
It’s my no.1 electric guitar with the most secure fit and ‘snap’ of the input jack to boot.
I have an embarrassment of Fenders, including 3 Custom Shops. My Roadworn gets just as much play as any of them. Roadworns are really great in my opinion. I planned on replacing things when I got it, but found that the original parts were just fine.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You really need good chops on a Fender single coil to sound good - no hiding behind a thick raunchy chord - and additionally it’s a neutral tone with neck pickup and tone rolled off - not particularly idiomatic to guitar but rather to a musical instrument in general.
It would serve my ego to agree with this statement, but I don't know that I honestly can. I personally sound my best playing a strat and not far behind on a tele and waaaaay behind on everything else. And I don't have ANY CHOPS, let alone good ones! I have a certain amount of taste and I have some feel for bends and hammers / pull-offs, vibrato, sliding, etc, etc, etc. But I just don't have anything I'd ever think of as chops. I couldn't play fast if I was trying to escape a burning building. I know like 2 1/2 scales.

But I just mesh with the sound and feel of a good strat or tele in a way I never have with anything else. Even when I was a rank beginner, so even if someone were to accuse me of having chops today, I surely didn't then. I think it's just about playing the guitar that sounds like your head perceives a guitar is supposed to sound like, more than one guitar or another requiring you to be a better player.

Then again, you didn't say "sound your best", you said "sound good", so you may get by on that technicality. I'm quite sure I sound my best on a Fender, but whether I sound GOOD is another question completely!

-Ray
Old 07-28-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
You really need good chops on a Fender single coil to sound good - no hiding behind a thick raunchy chord - and additionally it’s a neutral tone with neck pickup and tone rolled off - not particularly idiomatic to guitar but rather to a musical instrument in general.
My take on this Jaden is you need chops to play a maple fretboard...totally different dynamic than rosewood or ebony. Accuracy is king there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I gave a gorgeous studio LP to my son because I never played it. A real shame.
Thank you for the nod to my fenders, Dru.

Last edited by Chickee; 07-28-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
And yes, the ones you posted in the picture are sweet looking,
Very nice of you to say, Marty. Thank you. I enjoy them tremendously. I was really hoping this thread would encourage others to post pictures of guitars they really like and enjoy playing. I must have presented it or worded it incorrectly in the opening blurb.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It would serve my ego to agree with this statement, but I don't know that I honestly can. I personally sound my best playing a strat and not far behind on a tele and waaaaay behind on everything else. And I don't have ANY CHOPS, let alone good ones! I have a certain amount of taste and I have some feel for bends and hammers / pull-offs, vibrato, sliding, etc, etc, etc. But I just don't have anything I'd ever think of as chops. I couldn't play fast if I was trying to escape a burning building. I know like 2 1/2 scales.

But I just mesh with the sound and feel of a good strat or tele in a way I never have with anything else. Even when I was a rank beginner, so even if someone were to accuse me of having chops today, I surely didn't then. I think it's just about playing the guitar that sounds like your head perceives a guitar is supposed to sound like, more than one guitar or another requiring you to be a better player.

Then again, you didn't say "sound your best", you said "sound good", so you may get by on that technicality. I'm quite sure I sound my best on a Fender, but whether I sound GOOD is another question completely!

-Ray
Your post brings to mind a fatal flaw in my Fender guitar collection - I don’t have a Stratocaster - and Clapton was right - the Strat is more versatile and performs well at low volume.

After acquiring 3 telecasters, I’m finding the larger bridge assembly adds a subtle bite to each note, even on neck pickup only selected - and it’s not always welcome.

I miss the softer feel and singing sustain of a good Strat.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 AM

Have a few great fenders, but my heart belongs to Les Pauls..
Old 07-29-2019, 11:33 AM

I just bought a Tele American Nashville with B bender. Can't wait for it to get here!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars