The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM

Default I Like These Guitars

I have come to realize that I really like Fender guitars.
I like the feel of the contoured body. I like the tremolo set up as a trem or a hard tail. I like the feel of the tuning machines when I turn them. I like the simplicity of a bolt on neck. I like the cases they offer that protect my guitar. I like the automotive paint colors from my youth.

And of course, I really like playing them as much as my day to day life will allow.

Who do you like?
Old 07-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I agree and your reasons resonate with me too. I really like those TSA style cases as they do offer great protection, but you rarely hear anyone mention them.

And the automotive colors? Yeah baby! Who doesn't like Candy Apple or Candy Cola?
Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 PM

Yep, I'm totally with you also!

My Fender seafoam green Stratocaster with a maple board/white pickguard and my blonde Fender Telecaster with a maple board/black pickguard plus Bigsby aren't going anywhere.

Big fan of their amps also!
Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I like all of that ancillary stuff too, but what I REALLY love are the feel of strings and frets on a really perfect Fender neck (which is probably a different neck with a different spec for each of us) and I love the sound of strat pickups and the unique character of a tele's sound as well. Have two Fenders and an Epiphone because I also like the feel and sound of a semi-hollow with P90s, but I play the Fenders more by a lot... Because they feel and sound like I always knew an electric guitar was supposed to...

-Ray
Old 07-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Contoured body??? What is this contoured body of which you speak?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:34 AM

I had Strats in the 70s and never bonded. I had a Tele in 1980 I hated.

Now, I have three Strats and play a Tele exclusively. The SG, PRS, Melody Maker, and Les Paul Jr. just sleep in their cases.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM

I had my ‘50s Roadworn Telecaster plugged into my Blues Junior at super low volume this Sunday morning and playing some notes and chords with flesh part of the thumb the whole thing reminded me of an electric organ at church - clean, warm & soft notes floating in sustain.

You really need good chops on a Fender single coil to sound good - no hiding behind a thick raunchy chord - and additionally it’s a neutral tone with neck pickup and tone rolled off - not particularly idiomatic to guitar but rather to a musical instrument in general.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:08 PM

I like Fender solid bodies...
and Gibson hollow/semi-hollow bodies.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 PM

I had multiple Gibson f hole models: ES 295, four different 335s, 345, 330.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Contoured body??? What is this contoured body of which you speak?
Fender Strats, Jazzmasters, Jaguars and some Telecasters have smooth cutout contours on the back of the guitar at the lower waiste called a belly cut and an angled bevel on the front top of the lower bout where your forearm goes...
You have never handled one of these guitars?
Old 07-21-2019, 01:27 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever played a more comfortable guitar than a Strat.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Fender Strats, Jazzmasters, Jaguars and some Telecasters have smooth cutout contours on the back of the guitar at the lower waiste called a belly cut and an angled bevel on the front top of the lower bout where your forearm goes...
You have never handled one of these guitars?
Should have used a smilie, I guess. I am a Tele fan. That, to me, is the Fender electric guitar. And while I am aware of some Tele style guitars with a contoured body, I view it as decidedly unnatural.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Should have used a smilie, I guess. I am a Tele fan. That, to me, is the Fender electric guitar. And while I am aware of some Tele style guitars with a contoured body, I view it as decidedly unnatural.
I truly thought you were pulling my leg�� but hey, you never know.
Original Telecasters are great, just uncomfortable��just my opinion.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM

Slab cut vs Contour:

I’ve found over time the straight slab Teles help keep my picking hand in a slightly more comfortable position. On Stratocasters it seems not to be an issue (all personal preference) maybe because the upper horn rightens the guitar away from my upper body. Contour on a tele puts the guitar too close to my rib cage.

YMMV
Old 07-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Agreed. I love Fender guitars, along with Gretsch as well. My 87 Japanese Strat and my Butterscotch Players Series Tele sound phenomenal through my tweed/lacquered Blues Junior. ESP with just the right amount of breakup, but also clean with a bit of delay. Ahhh. So sweet.

I will agree that I personally prefer the non contoured Tele. I’ve owned both. For some reason I always felt the contoured backs on teles felt “unnatural”. To me (*and imho) save the contour for Strats...where they feel right at home.

I think the post above that states, “I don’t think I’ve ever played a more comfortable guitar than a Strat...” is spot on.

Last edited by PTony; 07-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars