The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Flatpicking Essentials - How far has anyone gone with the series?

I've read discussions about Volumes 1, 2, and sometimes 3, but don't hear much (at least on this site) about Volumes 4 and up.

Just curious if anyone has actually completed and entire series and was the effort worth it.

I'm still plowing my way though Vol. 1, with a few dives into Vol. 2 just to break things up.

D
Old 07-28-2019, 08:09 PM

I've only got book one and two. Funny, there has been discussions about the other books on this site, so I would assume others have moved up the ladder on those. Hopefully someone chimes in. I am curious myself.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 PM

I don’t have any of the books in the series proper, but I’m working through one of the supplemental volumes (The Guitar Player’s Guide to Developing Speed, Accuracy, and Tone) and enjoying it, so I might plump for the whole set on a flash drive. The material seems well thought out and pedagogically sound.
Taylor 814ce
Taylor AD-17

Old 08-05-2019, 01:00 PM

I have all the books in the series but only completed volume one (sort of). I dabbled in several of them at the same time, because the pace is incredibly slow and I figured I don't have the patience to put off certain learning goals until I arrive there by working through the series exactly chronologically. For example, I would have to work through volumes one and two before playing my very first fiddle tune. Just not practical.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 09-17-2019, 08:37 AM

I've gotten through Vol. 1- 4 and at least the beginning of 5. Took a workshop with Tim May that fit right in. Especially love Vol. 3, the learning fiddle tunes by ear book. I started playing guitar about 4=5 years ago and these books have proved to be a solid introduction (and beyond) to bluegrass flatpicking I think you can get a lot out of them by minimizing looking at the page and maximizing listening to the CD.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:00 PM

I'm working in the series. Have taken several lessons from Brad Davis and he teachers pretty much what is in the books. It is a slow progression, but the flat picking skills are really improving. Good stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write