The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
Not a much basis for any kind of objective comparison, is it?

How is that any different than saying the two Martins I have played were missing their back braces, had cracked tops, and were strung with .09s. Therefore Martins are inferior to [insert brand name here]?

My guitars don't have that problem.
Actually it is not particularly hard to assess the tonal properties and response of a guitar even when the action is not setup to your liking. So Don's comments about needing to dig into the guitar to make it move mean far more (at least to me) than that the action might be a bit high.

String height and neck relief can be changed (assuming an adjustable truss rod). But the response profile of a guitar is what it is.

TW
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,edit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,

the response profile of a guitar is what it is.

TW
Hi Mycroft, not sure that law applies the same to resos ,,, isn't all the tone in the cone ?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Actually it is not particularly hard to assess the tonal properties and response of a guitar even when the action is not setup to your liking.
That's not the case with a National.

The guitar will not function properly on a purely mechanical level unless the neck angle and bridge-to-tailpiece angle are within a few degrees of correct. Not enough angle and you lose volume and bass, too much angle and sustain gets very short.

In addition to this, the tension of the back of the guitar (how tightly the supports for the neck dowel rod/stick press against the back - there's a pretty wide tonal spectrum between "just snug enough to hold" and overly tight) has a significant impact on the tone of the guitar.

Unfortunately there aren't that many people who are knowledgeable about old Nationals, and this sadly includes many luthiers perfectly capable of doing fine work on other types of guitars.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:44 PM

I know it's an old thread but there might be a a few of you still interested in a Mule vs National comparison. I just recently had the chance to compare them on video. Great experience! Spoiler alert, both of them are fantastic, I don't think there is a quality difference between a new Mule and a new National but they are a bit different so personal taste has to step in.
It's just unfortunate how hard it is to find a Mule so I hope this video helps forming an opinion:
https://youtu.be/4EiJao00QSI
Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 PM

Your Reso Rocket is fantastic. I remember one of your older (Dogwithtwobones?) videos where you compared your old Republic Highway 61 to the Rocket, and the Rocket really demonstrated what you get for the extra money.

The Mule is really nice and gorgeous too, but the Rocket has more presence. I'd be interested in seeing how the Mule compares to a steel NRP with f-holes.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:30 PM

I'd very interested in a mule vs steel NRP or Triolian too. Maybe some day. The Mule was a loaner, I am fully satisfied with my Reso Rocket I feel it really suits my preferences. Also it is a very unique guitar sonically.
Yes dogwithtwobones is my other channel, most people expect me to upload my Blackmore solos there so I started another channel for my reso stuff but didn't want to delete the reso videos and repost them so... should have thought of a new channel with my first comparison
Old 08-01-2019, 09:29 AM

Default another vote for the Mule

Others have said it better than I can, but I love my Mule too. It can be both gentle and sweet AND it can have a nice Delta (ish?) growl. One thing worth remembering: I think you can get a Mule with a single cone OR a tricone. I got the tricone, and love the fact that it's in what one would normally imagine to be a single cone body. Basically I stumbled across the video of Charlie Parr playing "Delia", played it for my wife the local taste maker and enabler, and put in my order. Very happy camper.

I also find the aesthetics very appealing. Also, though I'm not a fanatic about necks, the Mule is one guitar where I really notice how nice the neck is.

will
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Willis View Post
I know it's an old thread but there might be a a few of you still interested in a Mule vs National comparison. I just recently had the chance to compare them on video. Great experience! Spoiler alert, both of them are fantastic, I don't think there is a quality difference between a new Mule and a new National but they are a bit different so personal taste has to step in.
It's just unfortunate how hard it is to find a Mule so I hope this video helps forming an opinion:
Just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your video, great playing and informative. There is a huge difference in sound between the two guitars that you compare, both great sounds. I don’t blame you for keeping your Reso Rocket. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Willis View Post
Great video. Both sound fantastic. A guy needs one of each. Haha
Old 08-03-2019, 07:08 AM

Thank you! They are different enough to justify having both for sure but that might not be the best monetary decision though Of course these instruments hold their value at least.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Resorocket by a mile. IMHO
Old 08-04-2019, 11:06 AM

I like both guitars in these demos. I have a small endorsement deal with National, and own 4 of them (Western D, Polychrome Tricone, Triolian, and a custom M2), so you would think I would be prejudiced towards the Mule. My feeling is that the Mule is definitely smaller sounding without the extended top end response of the National, and the National slays it volume wise. I think that's a reflection of the cone Mule uses. National cones just plain project. That said, I like the Mule's smaller sound and can see me preferring it for certain songs. I have a junkyard resonator built with an cheap Johnson body, a custom slotted headstock neck built by John Walsh (Cimarron guitars Colorado), and a National cone. I use it to get that smaller reso sound, and it use to have a Continental cone in it which I really loved the sound of. When I changed it to a National cone it lost some of what I loved about it.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments