The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Reclaimed wood project completed.

I have an room which was suppose to be an office when we built the house, it has now turned into my music room. It has a set of glass panel doors to close it off so I have it humidified.

I want to make one wall an accent wall using reclaimed barnwood or the like that has been milled to allow good fit, either T & G or at least have had the edges ripped square. I then plan on hanging some guitars on that wall (please no warnings about how guitars need to stay in their cases, I am willing to walk on the wild side here). I am looking for woods in the brown family vs. grey. I have seen several music stores with this look and think it looks great.

I have been having a hard time looking on line for anything that seems to be a reliable source. Has anyone else done this or know of a source.

I appreciate any replies.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-27-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM

Check in with the Amish in your area.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:52 PM

I think reclaimed barn wood is usually much lower in supply than demand. I once had a house that had very thin t & g strips of wood glued on the wall at a 45’ angle. Looked great, they had a natural rough sawn look. It shouldn’t be too hard to track them down and they are bound to be a lot cheaper than reclaimed wood.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 AM

A friend is in this business and the state of small dairy farming has had others sell the wood. Some contractors and retail fixture people I know also dabble in it.

It is hard to get. At this point my friend is only selling it when he's doing some sort of art or a whole build or remodel project with it.

For different colors and textures, you can seek old wood grain elevators and places wood was used in functional construction. For that sort, there was a disaster when the huge elevator being dismantled in Duluth, MN burned down. It's worth looking for photos of that wood.

My guess is anywhere you look you'll find high demand. Another acquaintance builds VERY high end log homes - log mansions and high end homes. He seeks this sort of wood too. The people with he works for do what many would consider a bit crazy to build and decorate these homes. They spend 6 figures+ just decorating some rooms for their hunting trophies or themes for a bar or den.

The demand is very high if you're not in the highest levels of wealth. Lots of people building lesser places like the stuff and the look. The wood is also in gift shops and craft fairs made into stuff.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:49 AM

Tom - there are a bunch of tobacco barns that have been taken down in the Connecticut River valley over the past year. When I did a search for “tobacco barn wood ct”, there were a lot of hits. But - you’d have to ship it down to Texas, or bring your UHaul over.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Thanks guys, I know it is hard to find haha, that is why I took a shot and posted it here in case anyone knew a source.

I should state, I was using the term barnwood generically. Any of the reclaimed wood with that aged look would be fine, doesn't have to come from a barn. I will change the title of the thread. I have even seen palate wood used.

If anyone has a company they know of, that would be great.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I will do that search Rick.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Tom - there are a bunch of tobacco barns that have been taken down in the Connecticut River valley over the past year. When I did a search for “tobacco barn wood ct”, there were a lot of hits. But - you’d have to ship it down to Texas, or bring your UHaul over.
This is also true in the CT River Valley of Western MA. When I started my construction company in the early 70s I was able to purchase 200 foot long barns for dismantling to keep wood beams (often chestnut), white oak silos, and weathered pine barn boards — get this — for $500. I would use the materials in “rustic” construction projects. Those days are gone, but I have recently seen a few tobacco barns stripped of barn boards and re-sheathed with new pine boards. I’ll look around to see if there is a specific contact if you like, but given your location I would guess shipping cost will be prohibitive. Are you still located in NY? If you are, would a field trip be possible?
Old 08-18-2019, 07:14 AM

Thanks Paul,

No this would be for a room in Texas.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Not inexpensive but....https://www.lowes.com/pd/Four-Season...-ft/1000398413 and https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vintage-...2101/302931214
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Thanks RP....I had seen that, the brown colors on the bottom pic are exactly what I am looking for, was hoping to find it somewhere other than the big box store, but I might need to reconsider.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Tom depending on your like of higher contrast wood (and I know you said not particularly grey ) BUT.
Have you considered Beatle Kill Pine?

It will have from typical light pine to a blue grey streaks throughout. And you can play around with any stain you might like.

It is more or less "reclaimed" environmentally speaking in that it is milled from what are essentially already dead or dying trees .

There are a number of sources online and I believe Home Depot sells it as well.

https://www.rmfp.com/blue-stain/

And for better room acoustic properties consider doing the old vertical alternating overlap positioning , one tight to wall next one overlapping on top of the wall mounted one one, etc. etc. This will act as sort of an entire wall diffuser panel. And unless you do not like the overlapped look the edges will not matter

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-18-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thanks RP....I had seen that, the brown colors on the bottom pic are exactly what I am looking for, was hoping to find it somewhere other than the big box store, but I might need to reconsider.
Some advantages of finished barn wood would seem to be that edge joints are already in place and barn smells/insects have been removed. Just a thought...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
...palate wood...

If anyone has a company they know of, that would be great.
Check in with Bob Taylor,; he's been known to use that stuff for a couple of things he's built over the years , and probably has a sizable stash of it.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:44 PM

You can find used palettes and privacy fence panels on facebook market or craigslist. A power washer will clean them up pretty good.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 PM

I showed this to Kathy and she loved the grey so I thought, what the heck at least I know what I am getting here, but $258.00 per 20 sq feet and I need 130 square feet, that is just not going to happen, just under 2 grand for wood...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic