The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 AM

Default Setup issue 335

Ok so this is the problem: last year I had a black Tusq nut installed on my 335 Studio as the stock one was binding and making staying in tune a pain. Since then it’s worked fine.

Until this week when I changed the strings which were getting a bit dull. The old strings were Ernie Ball Titanium, the new ones are Elixir nanoweb nickel steel.

Now the A string buzzes like mad when played open (the rest of the neck is ok), and the low E is also a bit sensitive. When I check the nut I can see that the bottom strings are sitting very low in the slot, not only radius deep but while diameter.

Now the Elixir strings are identical in dimension to the Gibson specs though I can’t swear to the specific gauge of the EBs.

Can different brands of strings really vary so much that one brand A string will sit properly while another brand, supposedly the same diameter, sinks into the slot? I’m hoping so in which case I’ll go back to the EBs rather than getting a new nut cut...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-07-2019, 04:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Ok so this is the problem: last year I had a black Tusq nut installed on my 335 Studio as the stock one was binding and making staying in tune a pain. Since then it’s worked fine.

Until this week when I changed the strings which were getting a bit dull. The old strings were Ernie Ball Titanium, the new ones are Elixir nanoweb nickel steel.

Now the A string buzzes like mad when played open (the rest of the neck is ok), and the low E is also a bit sensitive. When I check the nut I can see that the bottom strings are sitting very low in the slot, not only radius deep but while diameter.

Now the Elixir strings are identical in dimension to the Gibson specs though I can’t swear to the specific gauge of the EBs.

Can different brands of strings really vary so much that one brand A string will sit properly while another brand, supposedly the same diameter, sinks into the slot? I’m hoping so in which case I’ll go back to the EBs rather than getting a new nut cut...
Pieter,
If the old strings were absolutely sitting on the bottom of the slot (and they really should), then the first suspect would be that the newer set has less tension, thus allowing for a bit of back bow.

According to the Ernie Ball site, the 'titanium' part of the equation is the 'reinforcement', which I take to mean is near the ball end of the string.

There are different ways to arrive at a particular gauge/diameter for a wound string, so just because they're the 'same gauge' doesn't mean they're exerting the same tension.

EB doesn't seem to list tension anywhere, as opposed to Elixir which has specs.

HE
Old 08-07-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Pieter,

If the old strings were absolutely sitting on the bottom of the slot (and they really should), then the first suspect would be that the newer set has less tension, thus allowing for a bit of back bow.

According to the Ernie Ball site, the 'titanium' part of the equation is the 'reinforcement', which I take to mean is near the ball end of the string.

There are different ways to arrive at a particular gauge/diameter for a wound string, so just because they're the 'same gauge' doesn't mean they're exerting the same tension.

EB doesn't seem to list tension anywhere, as opposed to Elixir which has specs.

HE

Thanks for the thoughts.

The neck is still bowed slightly away from the strings and apart from played open the bottom strings play fine without buzz from the first fret upwards. In fact the setup is generally pretty good and it plays really well. It is just the A string, and to a lesser extent the low E, that buzzes badly when played open.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts.

The neck is still bowed slightly away from the strings and apart from played open the bottom strings play fine without buzz from the first fret upwards. In fact the setup is generally pretty good and it plays really well. It is just the A string, and to a lesser extent the low E, that buzzes badly when played open.
Pieter,
The difference between a string buzzing and not buzzing is a small thing.

Is there a chance you still have the old strings, the new string cut-offs, and a very accurate scale?

If you were to cut equal sections of each string you could determine which has less tension: The lighter piece.

Howard
Old 08-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Perhaps the nut installer cut the A slot too deep, bringing that string too close to the frets. Fret the string at the 3rd fret and attempt to push the string down onto the 1st fret using a finger (applied just below the 1st fret). There should be just the *slightest* movement of the string before it contacts the 1st fret. If you detect no movement before contact, I'd say that's your problem.

It could also be the case that you have some movement, but less than you had before, and less than is needed to compensate for a fret or 2 that needs leveling attention.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Hi Pieter. I wonder if the new string is actually one gauge smaller? Perhaps Elixir accidentally put the wrong string in the set?
Old 08-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Pieter. I wonder if the new string is actually one gauge smaller? Perhaps Elixir accidentally put the wrong string in the set?

Hi Dru!

I’m hoping it’s an error like that, it is definitely marginally thinner than the older string (which is now back on there). The strings came from a 2+1 pack.

I’m dropping off the guitar to my tech after rehearsal tomorrow night; the options are to try to fill the slot or more likely install a new nut with slots cut from scratch rather than pre-cut.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Hi Dru!

I’m hoping it’s an error like that, it is definitely marginally thinner than the older string (which is now back on there). The strings came from a 2+1 pack.

I’m dropping off the guitar to my tech after rehearsal tomorrow night; the options are to try to fill the slot or more likely install a new nut with slots cut from scratch rather than pre-cut.
Let us know how it turn out, Pieter.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Let us know how it turn out, Pieter.

I got her back yesterday and she plays like a dream now! Martin (the tech who looks after my gear these days) raised the nut a fraction by spreading a new adhesive he’d just got in. The string height is now perfect, even with the suspicious string reinstalled! No buzzing anywhere!

What’s more, I have an old Wampler Ego compressor that needed a new switch. Martin ordered a high quality switch but instead of reinstalling the small circuit board that connects the switch to the rest of the circuitry he hand wired the connections. Didn’t cost me a fortune either.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-25-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I got her back yesterday and she plays like a dream now! Martin (the tech who looks after my gear these days) raised the nut a fraction by spreading a new adhesive he’d just got in. The string height is now perfect, even with the suspicious string reinstalled! No buzzing anywhere!

What’s more, I have an old Wampler Ego compressor that needed a new switch. Martin ordered a high quality switch but instead of reinstalling the small circuit board that connects the switch to the rest of the circuitry he hand wired the connections. Didn’t cost me a fortune either.
Great news, Pieter! I wonder if Martin just raised the nut slot of the A string by adding the adhesive in the slot and then sanding it rather than raising the entire nut?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Great news, Pieter! I wonder if Martin just raised the nut slot of the A string by adding the adhesive in the slot and then sanding it rather than raising the entire nut?

I think he raised the whole nut a fraction; he’d previously installed the nut, replacing the stock corian (I think that is the stock material). We were neither of us entirely happy with the height then but it became significant with the string change.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars