The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 PM

I don't really play electric anymore.

I've got my 1990 Fender Stratocaster, but that's it. I'd like to replace the G&L ASAT Classic I sold several years ago. I found one for a fair enough price, but it's not the finish I really want, so I'm hesitant.

Maybe I'll just buy more camera gear instead.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I don't really play electric anymore.

I've got my 1990 Fender Stratocaster, but that's it. I'd like to replace the G&L ASAT Classic I sold several years ago. I found one for a fair enough price, but it's not the finish I really want, so I'm hesitant.

Maybe I'll just buy more camera gear instead.
MusiciansFriend has the foreign made G&L's as their SDOTD every few weeks. I've seen the ~$500 ones down to $299 - $350 range. Great return policy too.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:35 AM

Default Do you have a #1 electric?

My number one is my clear red G&L ASAT Classic hollow body. Stock MFD pickups which sound fantastic and it plays like a dream.

That said, if I知 noodling at home it will probably be the 335 Studio, or even my MiM Classic 60s Tele which has a fantastically playable neck.

My number one used to be my US Standard Strat but if I知 honest it has been sitting in its case for a few months. It usually depends on what music I知 working on at the time; when we did Tommy it was mainly the G&L and the Taylor acoustic, for the Eagles show we did it was Taylor, G&L and Strat, for the choir gigs it will depend on the genre but the 335 has been getting out more and more. The upcoming Abbey Road show will be 335 and Telecaster.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 AM

Parts-o-caster with a versatile pu combo:
DiMarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge position, Fast Track 1 in the neck position and a gold Lace Sensor inbetween.
Wilkinson convertible bridge, sperzel locking tuners, gold hardware with a cherryburst body.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
My number one is my clear red G&L ASAT Classic hollow body. Stock MFD pickups which sound fantastic and it plays like a dream.

That said, if I知 noodling at home it will probably be the 335 Studio, or even my MiM Classic 60s Tele which has a fantastically playable neck.

My number one used to be my US Standard Strat but if I知 honest it has been sitting in its case for a few months. It usually depends on what music I知 working on at the time; when we did Tommy it was mainly the G&L and the Taylor acoustic, for the Eagles show we did it was Taylor, G&L and Strat, for the choir gigs it will depend on the genre but the 335 has been getting out more and more. The upcoming Abbey Road show will be 335 and Telecaster.
Hey Pieter - how you doing? Sounds like you're gigging a lot. Are you touring playing those bands/albums?
Old 07-29-2019, 02:05 AM

Default Do you have a #1 electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Pieter - how you doing? Sounds like you're gigging a lot. Are you touring playing those bands/albums?

Hi Dru!

It痴 not as exotic or as extensive as it sounds. My day job is sound engineer at a touring theatre venue. I am involved in a folk-bluegrass trio where I play acoustic guitar but also involved in a group doing one or two tribute show performances per year. It痴 a lot of work putting one of these shows together and we just about manage to break even. We壇 love to tour them but there are issues with that, not least getting decent deals with venues plus everyone has day jobs (musicians, music teachers, music students, ice cream salesman etc). We池e doing two performances of Abbey Road in September at the theatre where I work (best equipped venue in the area, even if i say so myself!).

As for gigging a lot, we do a handful of summer gigs with the trio, I play with a couple of local song groups and choirs several times a year (getting paid professional rates which is nice), on top of the rehearsals for the tribute show (as I said, this year celebrating 50 years of the album Abbey Road).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 PM

My long time #1 guitar that I gifted to my son some years back came home for a restring and fret board clean up today.
After that was done I couldn't resist taking the old girl for a spin!
I love this thing! Vox standard model 24.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:51 AM

This one - 2006 Custom Shop Les Paul VOS R0

Old 08-27-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Here's my #1 - Rickenbacker 650D (Dakota), which I bought brand-new in 2001. It has a lovely chunky neck (1 3/4" at the nut) and two sweet sounding Rickenbacker humbuckers. The pickguard is not original - I replaced the standard issue chrome with a gold one from Pickguardian.

The gold pickguard is what Rick should sell those with, it looks great, and matches the wood better!
Old 08-27-2019, 01:22 PM

I own MANY electric guitars, as I've been collecting while I've been out there making a living as a musician, so there is no clear number one across the board but for my situations this is what I came up with.

For band gigging...

2014 Les Paul 1957 Historic Reissue (no mods it's totally stock)... This is the first guitar I grab for band gigs. At 8.1lbs, it's ridiculously light for a Les Paul which makes it a joy to play for extended sets, and with it's low output non-potted custom-buckers it gets great clean tone along with a beautiful singing tone when the amps get lit up. Typically these guitars have fat necks, which I don't like, but this one slipped through the cracks with a smaller neck than usual, lucky me

For solo gigging...

2017 Gretsch G6120T '55 Vintage Select (no mods - totally stock)... This guitar is strung with med-heavy flatwound strings (12 - 52), so when I bring it to my solo acoustic gigs I can switch back and forth between it and my acoustics with relative ease. The big strings are a joy to fingerpick on, and the TV Jones T-Armond pickups are stellar. This is one of the few Japanese built Pro models that uses a lacquer finish which I love. And unlike many guitar companies, Gretsch knows how to incorporate a Bigsby into the design so they actually work!

For collecting...

1975 Gibson L5s (no mods - totally stock)... I looked for one of these for years, and just when I thought I'd never find one that I could afford, this one popped up out of nowhere. This guitar defies the general feeling that Gibson couldn't build a good guitar in the Norlin era seventies. The neck can be set up to play with the lowest action I've ever felt on a guitar, and the ebony fingerboard is the smoothest I've ever felt! The finish is gorgeous, and the sound is crystal clear and balanced. These were the most expensive solid body guitars built in the seventies, and for good reason, the workmanship that goes into them is stellar. Many of these where very heavy because of their solid maple bodies but this one is in the low 9lb range, and it also has a 2 piece bookmatched top while most where three piece. Gibson made a few variations of the L5s, but this one, with the L5 tailpiece and the "tarback" humbuckers is the one I lusted after! I love to plug this into a good amp and just noodle around, it feels and sounds great!

Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 AM

I am in a position where my only one needs to be my #1. After cycling through a Taylor and a couple Larrivees to get to my Northwood, I knew the vast difference between really good and great. I went straight for the jugular on my electric quest and got my 2017 Heritage 535 in OSB. It is sublime.
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars