The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 12:11 PM

Default Larrivee vs Martin 12-Strings?

I’m needing some opinions to help decide between these two brands. I currently have a Taylor 356 CE and while it sounds great, I don’t think it sounds quite like I want. My local GC has had a 1975 Martin d12-35 for a few months. I played it and immediately loved how it sounded - warm but still bright, not overly chimey, with more bass presence than a lot of 12s have. It just sounded “lush” for lack of a better word. The only problem was this particular guitar had some real cosmetic problems and some minor structural concerns, and will likely need a neck reset before long. The better condition ones I’ve seen online are a fair bit more expensive. So that being said, I’m looking for recommendations between a few different options I’m considering, and if you know of a model I should be considering that I’m not so far, please let me know.

I was looking at Larrivee L-03R 12-strings online, and it seems that Martin D12-28s or even HD12-28s can be found used for around or not much more than what a new L-03R-12 costs. Of those three models, which is likely to get closest to the sound of the old D12-35? I know Larrivees supposedly sound a lot more balanced than Martins, but the D35 itself being more of a slope shoulder body, I wondered if maybe a rosewood L-body 12 wouldn’t be too far off? Or is the only way to get near a Martin sound to just get an actual Martin? Between a used D12-28 or a used HD12-28, would the plain D12-28 be closer in sound due to the non-scalloped bracing? Would the scalloped bracing on the HD12-28 just sound even better than the plain D12-28, or would is scalloped bracing on a rosewood 12 getting into too much overtone and sustain?

Due to where I’m located there aren’t any of these models available for me to actually try in person and I’d probably be buying online, so I’m needing some opinion from any of you who have actually tried some of these, or a recommendation for another model. I know lots of people love the old Guilds or other jumbo 12s but my preference would be to stay with dreadnought size or comparable.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodRoosevelt View Post
I’m needing some opinions to help decide between these two brands. I currently have a Taylor 356 CE and while it sounds great, I don’t think it sounds quite like I want. My local GC has had a 1975 Martin d12-35 for a few months. I played it and immediately loved how it sounded - warm but still bright, not overly chimey, with more bass presence than a lot of 12s have. It just sounded “lush” for lack of a better word. The only problem was this particular guitar had some real cosmetic problems and some minor structural concerns, and will likely need a neck reset before long. The better condition ones I’ve seen online are a fair bit more expensive. So that being said, I’m looking for recommendations between a few different options I’m considering, and if you know of a model I should be considering that I’m not so far, please let me know.....
Welcome to the forum. My advice is to do what you've been doing. Play guitars and buy the one that moves you the most. Otherwise, you could buy something unplayed and regret not buying the guitar you liked. If you found a guitar you like, but it needs some attention, factor in the cost for the "attention" and make sure you strike a price that reflects the needed repair and have the repairs done. For what it's worth, I've never played any Larrivee that sounded like a Martin. If you liked the Martin sound, buy the Martin.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:23 PM

Of the two listed I have only played the Martin.
I did like it but it was only a fair sounding 12 string to my ear.

I have owned several 12 string guitars over the years and the best sounding was a Guild. I know that you don't want a Jumbo though.

My second favorite 12 string was a Dreadnaught type Yamaha LL-16-12.
Being a Dred with Rosewood, that guitar sounded wonderful! The price was also great for it.
I also liked the narrower neck on the Yamaha when compared to the Guilds.

The Yamaha LL-16-12 is worth looking at IMHO.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:50 PM

Here's a sample of one from Organic Sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AguKejT49Mg

It's not a Martin, *if*, that's what you're after.

I've got a number of Larrivée guitars, THE ONE I'm looking for IS an L-03R 12 string. I have a Guild.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have owned several 12 string guitars over the years and the best sounding was a Guild. I know that you don't want a Jumbo though.
Right. But even used, F512s and F412s are pretty expensive. Might get a good deal on a JF30-12 -- mine is right up there with the best of them. Of course, Guild has quite a few other models that are not jumbos. Even their import models are pretty impressive....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-09-2024, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

These "the sound of one guitar vs another guitar" questions invariably go nowhere. In the end the only opinion that will matter will be your own.

That being said, if you can't play the guitars and want the sound of a Martin, get a Martin. I know I love the sound of my HD12-28. Deep, rich, expansive, not overly chimey. Music to "my" ears.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-09-2024, 07:43 PM

For me Guilds are the benchmark 12-string. In the past I have had a couple of F-112’s. But I currently own a Martin D12-28. For me it is a great sounding guitar for about 1500 less than a F512, if you can find a good used one. Its easy to play well balanced and a canon when it comes to projection.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:52 PM

I love Guild 12 strings. I sold my F-512 recently due to hand difficulty. I’m playing a Taylor that I found locally. I like Larrivee and Martin 12 strings too. I would like having a Larrivee L-09-12. I’ve owned the Martin D12-28, which is a great sounding instrument. The only *negative* regarding Martin 12 strings is that they really do sound like their 6 string counterparts. So, if you want something more unique, try a different brand. Otherwise, the new ones play really well. I have my eye on one in particular, per usual.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a 12 string guy but I do own a Larrivee because I think they make an outstanding 12 string and if I'm going to own a 12 for recording, this is it. Very well balanced. Martins are a bit boomy for my tastes. The Larrivee is tight and clear, without ever crossing the line into being shrill.

It's all a matter of taste though. Go with the one you think suits what you're after.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM

Default 12 string

b4 you do anything, try a Yamaha FG-820-12. You can find it at Musician's Friend (where I got m ine) for under $400. Mine sounds great, plays great (after setup) and is quite rugged. Buy something else only after you've tried this thing, or you may end up wasting a lot of money.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string guitar, larrivee, martin