The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM

Default Busking amp recommendation please

James,

I apologize in advance for hijacking your thread to respond to the above comment.

Dannyg1,

Did you read my review? Or, are you simply conjecturing?

I did my best to respond to your original post, that I feel unfairly impugned my integrity, with some composure. I attempted to explain my reasoning for not appending my original review. I believe firmly that it would be unfair to levy a serious compliant about a product without giving the manufacturer a chance to either diagnose or repair it.

Why? For the VERY reason you outline in your unsolicited caution. Charging a manufacturer with producing a lemon is a serious allegation that has economic consequence for people. Those consequences are more sever for the maker than the buyer. And, I saw no obvious cost cutting or attempt to defraud buyers. I don't even know if it was their fault or mine.

As such, I have no additional conclusion to report. After I had decided to return the unit, because it was clearly not for me, it started making a hissing noise independent of all mixer and preamp adjustments. I assumed it was a power supply or amplifier issue. I mentioned it to them at the time of return so they wouldn't immediately resell it as "b" stock.

I am not paid to offer my experiences with various guitar related purchases. Moreover, I try hard to be fair and provide some useful information. You are correct that I am not a professional reviewer. However, neither are you.

Dannyg1, I don't (wholesale) discount your input, though I am tempted to do so. Per your advice, in the future, I would consider appending my notes. As such, please consider this matter closed. I don't wish to debate it with you further.

Though, in the spirit of returning your favor with some unsolicited advice of my own, please be aware that your combative tone has been noticed by many individuals. Some have noted their distaste of your posts, to me, privately. Some clearly attempt to rebuff you online. Many more just ignore you.

I don't doubt that you have some salient points and experience to offer the AGF community. But, you would do well to heed your own advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-23-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Actually Dave, I have been a published and so, professional reviewer of audio equipment, but this isn't about me, other than yes, I do take reviews seriously and I have high expectations of reviews and reviewers. A reviewer simply cannot omit critical information about their particular samples proper function. Period.

This is not a ****ation of all the product put out there, it is just 'my sample did not properly my function, so I returned it'.

As for what people talk about privately with you, I'm not concerned and I doubt you are either. I do have high expectations. When you review equipment and present it our reviews as complete, while omitting critical information, others may let it slide. In the interest of complete and truly useful information that others will put their money down on, I just won't shy away.

Youve made a critical omission and all that Ive done is called you to task for it. Surely you're astute enough to suffer that.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Dannyg1, I suggest you find someone else to troll. I already acknowledged your point and attempted to explain myself, although I don't owe anyone an explanation. You'd know that if you bothered to read. Surely you're astute enough to suffer that.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-23-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Trying decide how to respond to an Internet Troll/bully...
Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Yikes,

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 05-23-2017, 02:38 PM

Edited for the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I'd really like to hear about the other end of the price spectrum, for busking, low cost battery/AC powered amps for guitar and vocals that would be normally loud enough $500 and under

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Old 05-23-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I'd really like to hear about the other end of the price spectrum, for busking, no low cost battery/AC powered amps for guitar and vocals that would be normally loud enough $500 and under

Sorry can't edit with my cell, low cost busking amps

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Old 05-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
......The ethics of reviewing audio have been recited to me in both kindness and anger. I know them very well and while you may think that I'm being unfair somehow, in pointing out that omitting critical information about a reviewed products basic integrity and function is a failure of trust, you might look to recent law regarding blog posts and reviews.

These days, even casual reviews are subject to tests of truth and integrity and legally, both manufacturers and interested readers that can prove harm from your posted reviews can take you to court for problems like this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124287328648142113

http://ideas.time.com/2013/01/07/yel...-can-get-sued/

While you're not a professional reviewer and aren't required to be aware of this stuff, your reviews do get attention and you'd do well to research it all some.
I am going to say that I find the direction of the above-cited post to be very confusing.

The first listed reference is from a Wall Street Journal on-line article. As I am not a paid subscriber, I cannot view the post, so the value of including it may be questionable.

The second post I AM able to view. The essence of the news story is that an individual -- after posting a negative review of a professional service on an on-line forum -- was sued for defamation. The moral of the story seems to be to "watch out" when posting negative reviews on-line, as one may incur liability if defamation is perceived.

And here is where I feel like you are not really making sense:

FIRST, you criticize Martingitdave for NOT including negative information in a product review.

THEN, you attempt to support your point above by referencing a story about someone being sued when they DID post negative date (huh....?....that would seem to contradict your point?)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:45 PM

Thanks Paul. I attempted to make the same point in post #76 above. He breezed past it.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Actually Dave, I have been a published and so, professional reviewer of audio equipment.....
Impressive.

Quote:
but this isn't about me......
Oh, I beg to differ.

Quote:
...I do take reviews seriously and I have high expectations of reviews and reviewers. A reviewer simply cannot omit critical information about their particular samples proper function. Period....When you review equipment and present it our reviews as complete, while omitting critical information, others may let it slide. In the interest of complete and truly useful information that others will put their money down on, I just won't shy away.....
That seems like a very bold statement, considering that this is a free forum composed largely of amateur enthusiasts -- but I'll try to suspend my judgment. Since you are the professional -- with all this experience and perspective -- please supply a couple of links to some of your published reviews. Show us how it is to be done. I promise I'll read them, as I am sure will others.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 PM

I would read those reviews, as I also read many reviews here. I'm a senior citizen, a professional live sound engineer, a vocalist, a musician, a dancer (hula), and an audiophile that still uses tube gear and discreet components. When someone mentions their budget, I respect that and recommend what works best in their range. I'm also a retired Marine that carried a Fender Telecaster with the neck unbolted and a modified tube radio with a 1/4" input into hot zones and played music for the troops and locals. One of my fondest memories was in Somalia when I was playing and singing some blues when the local tribes brought out their percussion, dancers and chants to echo my music. They were way better than me. That was two days of peace and good food and fun for my troops and myself, in a war torn nation. Music is a universal language.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:06 PM

Agreed. Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Impressive.

Oh, I beg to differ.

That seems like a very bold statement, considering that this is a free forum composed largely of amateur enthusiasts -- but I'll try to suspend my judgment. Since you are the professional -- with all this experience and perspective -- please supply a couple of links to some of your published reviews. Show us how it is to be done. I promise I'll read them, as I am sure will others.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 PM

I'm impressed that you are following my statistics, DannyG1. Hopefully you can learn from your mistakes. I've definitely learned from my mistakes over 6+ decades. Ric

Quote:
Haven't spent some years working as the equipment set-up director for Harry Pearson and The Absolute Sound Magazine, a high-end audio magazine and Harry being perhaps the worlds most revered audio reviewer:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/1...ies-at-77.html

The ethics of reviewing audio have been recited to me in both kindness and anger. I know them very well and while you may think that I'm being unfair somehow, in pointing out that omitting critical information about a reviewed products basic integrity and function is a failure of trust, you might look to recent law regarding blog posts and reviews.

These days, even casual reviews are subject to tests of truth and integrity and legally, both manufacturers and interested readers that can prove harm from your posted reviews can take you to court for problems like this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124287328648142113
I'm glad to see you're following my statistics, DannyG1.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/01/07/yel...-can-get-sued/

While you're not a professional reviewer and aren't required to be aware of this stuff, your reviews do get attention and you'd do well to research it all some.

RicDoug,

You say I've 'earned that mistrust' and that I 'hate Carvin'. These are obtuse (baseless, idiotic) accusations. I'd love to hear your evidence for proof of either. I'd like to point out that more than 75% of your posts(or some number close to it) promote and/or mention Carvin.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 AM

I'm never one to pile on and hope you don't think I'm doing that here Dave.
At the time you got your Carvin I was following along with great interest as I would love to find the best battery powered solution to acoustic amplification. I was excited when you mentioned you ordered one and excited to hear your thoughts. Just around that time, I started playing electric again and my search was put on the back burner. Had it not been, I was close to pulling the trigger on the Carvin and partly because of the positive nature of your in-depth review.

The first thing I said to myself when I read that you omitted the fact that your unit failed was "why would he leave that out?" That's a very important part of the review in my opinion. I get that you didn't want to bash Carvin but simply stating what happened is not bashing. The idea that it was the first generation of this product and that may have contributed to the issues is important for someone deciding whether to buy now or maybe wait for the next iteration. You didn't want to prejudice potential buyers with your issue but you influenced us with your good review. Stating all the facts is not prejudicing, not stating all the facts is. I don't think anyone, not even Carvin can fault you telling what happened if you simply state the facts.

Anyway, I will still read your reviews and I still appreciate your insight and what you bring to the AGF!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
I'm never one to pile on and hope you don't think I'm doing that here Dave.

At the time you got your Carvin I was following along with great interest as I would love to find the best battery powered solution to acoustic amplification. I was excited when you mentioned you ordered one and excited to hear your thoughts. Just around that time, I started playing electric again and my search was put on the back burner. Had it not been, I was close to pulling the trigger on the Carvin and partly because of the positive nature of your in-depth review.

The first thing I said to myself when I read that you omitted the fact that your unit failed was "why would he leave that out?" That's a very important part of the review in my opinion. I get that you didn't want to bash Carvin but simply stating what happened is not bashing. The idea that it was the first generation of this product and that may have contributed to the issues is important for someone deciding whether to buy now or maybe wait for the next iteration. You didn't want to prejudice potential buyers with your issue but you influenced us with your good review. Stating all the facts is not prejudicing, not stating all the facts is. I don't think anyone, not even Carvin can fault you telling what happened if you simply state the facts.

Anyway, I will still read your reviews and I still appreciate your insight and what you bring to the AGF!

Thanks Fret. I appreciate your constructive feedback. I have given the issue more thought. I decided to go back an append the review. The hissing issue appeared about a week after I wrote the review and I was reluctant, at the time, to go back and fault Carvin for it.

In hindsight, I think that a job worth doing, is worth doing well. So, I would append my review in the future with information that could be relevant.

Also, I'm sort of surprised you found it so positive. I concluded that, despite what the small size and features might suggest, it's not really a great portable acoustic solution. The mid range is too prominent, at listening volume, in my opinion. I think they would do well to revoice the speaker array.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-24-2017, 01:33 PM

Carvin did add an optional battery powered subwoofer, but I have not heard this combination, yet:

https://carvinaudio.com/collections/...able-subwoofer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification