The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-09-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Aaron,

Being that I currently don't have a Trance system installed in any guitar, but will likely do so next week, it's difficult to remember how the Trance sounded in my 2014 Martin HD-28 (sold over a year ago with the Trance M-VT system in it). I'll likely install the Trance M-VT Phantom system in my Larrivee C-03 Tommy Emmanuel Custom.

Given the tone of the Dazzo #70 system in the Larrivee D-40M, I'm sold on Dazzo systems. My installation of the Amulets for the Trance M-VT system will likely be done--against warnings not to do so--with the Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy Gel that was used in the Dazzo installation. As good as all my Trance installations have sounded, I'm convinced the Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy Gel will improve my tonal results over the recommended Trance "permanent tape."

I can, however, compare the previously recorded track of my 2014 Martin HD-28 Trance M-VT (battery system) with a new recording of the Dazzo system in my 2019 Larrivee D-40M that I'll try to make today or tomorrow.

More to come ...
Awesome. I sometimes find that the SBT systems can sound fuller in bigger guitars. Will be interesting to see how you like the Trance in the Tommy guitar.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
To counter the bass loss you could put a higher number of pickup. Instead of 70’s, use 80’s or 90’s perhaps.
I think that, regardless of what size larger Dazzo would be used to impart more bass which it would, the tape takes away the upfront, transparency that the more intimate and hard epoxy renders to the amplified tone. I feel with the tape, you're trying to climb back out of a hole and will likely never get to the tone you want to hear. This is why I'm compelled to use the Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy Gel for my upcoming Trance M-VT Phantom installation as I feel the amplified tone suffers significantly from the recommended "permanent tape" installation.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-09-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Awesome. I sometimes find that the SBT systems can sound fuller in bigger guitars. Will be interesting to see how you like the Trance in the Tommy guitar.
IMHO, I've found the Larrivee D-40M is a perfect dreadnought with or without a pickup system. The tone is full, big, resonant, clear, transparent, and upfront--I'm running out of adjectives! This makes the guitar fun to play and it only costs a paltry $1500 USD! The Larrivee D-40M and Larrivee D-40R are as close to "banjo-killer" guitars as you can get (I've never played a Bourgeois "Banjo Killer" option dreadnought but thought I'd steal the description anyway). You can take these to a Bluegrass jam or use in a Bluegrass band and not show up under-gunned compared to any other dreadnought. Bonus: For those worried about the name on the headstock, these Larrivees with their logo and headstock shape even look like a Collings or Bourgeoise dreadnought from 15-feet or more feet away!

The Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel Custom is actually a Larrivee LV Series guitar but a 1/4 inch thinner from front-to-back. Its tone is almost dreadnought-like so it should work pretty well with either a Trance or a Dazzo system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-09-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think that, regardless of what size larger Dazzo would be used to impart more bass which it would, the tape takes away the upfront, transparency that the more intimate and hard epoxy renders to the amplified tone. I feel with the tape, you're trying to climb back out of a hole and will likely never get to the tone you want to hear. This is why I'm compelled to use the Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy Gel for my upcoming Trance M-VT Phantom installation as I feel the amplified tone suffers significantly from the recommended "permanent tape" installation.
Is this a discontinued model?
Old 01-09-2021, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is this a discontinued model?
No, the Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom ($369) is available directly from Trance Audio or our AGF sponsor, Maury's Music: http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletmphantom.html

The 1/4" Canare Instrument Cable is optional.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-09-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, the Trance Amulet M-VT PhantomAmulet M-VT PhantomTM ($369) is available directly from Trance Audio: http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletmphantom.html

The 1/4" Canare Instrument Cable is optional.

Sorry, I meant your dreadnought..
Old 01-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My Question: Using the turnbuckle localized clamping method, can you really hear a difference in tonal variation when using this method to find the best area to clamp the Amulet?
Certainly can hear a difference. Pretty huge actually. It's an awkward procedure, reaching inside, trying to move the clamp while it's under pressure, etc, but it works for me. You just put one string on, plug it in and listen as you move the turnbuckle around. The loudest, deepest spot seems to do the trick. I'm unclear as to what's really going on, the process may just be determining when the lens is properly seated under equal pressure.

But as I've said, the whole thing reminds me of the installs I've watched Teddy do where he's moving the pickup around while listening. That sound almost like a wah-wah pedal. You're not changing the position of the Trance, just the pressure point, so it's a little different, but you hear the volume and low end come in as you locate the right spot.

Since using this approach, my Trance installs seem to sound right the first time, compared to other approaches where I was needing to do 3 and 4 installs to get the sound dialed in.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry, I meant your dreadnought..
No problem! All four Larrivee dreadnought models mentioned in the course of my comments are still available per the Larrivee website, along with the Tommy Emmanuel. Another model I mentioned in an earlier comment, the 2013 Larrivee D-04 (Spruce Tree model) dreadnought, the top of which was made from a 300-year-old Sitka Spruce, is discontinued.

https://www.larrivee.com/products/d-40-legacy-series

https://www.larrivee.com/products/d-40r-legacy-series

https://www.larrivee.com/products/sd-40-legacy-series

https://www.larrivee.com/products/c-03r-te
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-09-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

The Larrivee D-40M with Dazzo #70 passive system sounds really good through my Steel Guitar Black Box Tube Preamp with its Vari-Z input impedance set fully to 1 MegaOhm. There are no EQ controls on the Black Box and the LR Baggs Synapse PA's tone controls are set to FLAT EQ. I was a bit concerned that the 1 MegaOhm maximum input impedance available on the Black Box might short-change the tone from the Dazzo system compared to the 10 MegaOhm input impedance on the LR Baggs Session DI but quite I'm pleased with the tone of the Black Box/Dazzo combination!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-09-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Teddy told me of a shop that insisted using tape, and then were unhappy with the pickups. This is akin to buying a car with a high performance motor slated to use premium, then using regular and saying it didn't run good.

When you buy a product and don't follow the manufacturer's instructions, don't expect the product to perform as it should. I've read forum posts of people stating they used every kind of tape they could find, and Dazzos don't sound very good. This is ludicrous.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-09-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
But did you install them yourself or Teddy did it for you?
I have stated about a couple dozen times I live close to Teddy. How does this pertain to the discussion? Do you go to the K&K factory to get K&Ks glued in? Or do the thousands of dealers just follow the instructions. It's not rocket science.If you don't like glue, don't buy Dazzos.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-09-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have stated about a couple dozen times I live close to Teddy. How does this pertain to the discussion? Do you go to the K&K factory to get K&Ks glued in? Or do the thousands of dealers just follow the instructions. It's not rocket science.If you don't like glue, don't buy Dazzos.
Sorry Br1ck if you were offended. It was not in my intention.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-09-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Certainly can hear a difference. Pretty huge actually. It's an awkward procedure, reaching inside, trying to move the clamp while it's under pressure, etc, but it works for me. You just put one string on, plug it in and listen as you move the turnbuckle around. The loudest, deepest spot seems to do the trick. I'm unclear as to what's really going on, the process may just be determining when the lens is properly seated under equal pressure.

But as I've said, the whole thing reminds me of the installs I've watched Teddy do where he's moving the pickup around while listening. That sound almost like a wah-wah pedal. You're not changing the position of the Trance, just the pressure point, so it's a little different, but you hear the volume and low end come in as you locate the right spot.

Since using this approach, my Trance installs seem to sound right the first time, compared to other approaches where I was needing to do 3 and 4 installs to get the sound dialed in.
Thanks, Doug!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-09-2021, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Cuki, should you buy a Dazzo set, and find your first locations don't sound as good as you hoped they would have, Teddy says just pry them off with a razor blade (look at the first part of his installation video) and clean everything with acetone before doing another installation. I think Dazzos are kind of like K&K pickups in that the positioning isn't quite as critical as we may think it is.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-09-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Cuki, should you buy a Dazzo set, and find your first locations don't sound as good as you hoped they would have, Teddy says just pry them off with a razor blade (look at the first part of his installation video) and clean everything with acetone before doing another installation. I think Dazzos are kind of like K&K pickups in that the positioning isn't quite as critical as we may think it is.
I will wait for your demo before making any decision. I know at least two people who damaged them removing it and sending them back for a swap is not exactly fast from France.

I still have a Trance audio amulet and I am tempted by the a Baggs anthem too...

Did you take a picture of your install?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification