The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-12-2020, 08:20 PM

Default best amp for practice (tone + headphone jack)

Hi,

I have a Fender superchamp that I like quite a lot, but there's no headphone jack; that's presumably because it's a tube amp. I also have some little headphone amps, and an old Line 6 Pod, but I always worry that I may not be pushing the right buttons.

People on this forum have suggested simplicity: I'm still obsessed with that old Fred McDowell blues sound. So (assuming I'm right about tube amps not taking phones) are there good amps that would sound right when played out loud that I could also use with headphones?

(Can't wait till the end of this lockdown; it's keeping from really exploring amplifiers!)

thanks
will
Old 12-12-2020, 08:58 PM

This one takes headphones - which you might not need considering it also powers down from 5W to 1W/0.1W - and speaking as an owner gets a great old-school blues tone:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp
Old 12-13-2020, 02:50 AM

I plug into a Fender Mustang II modelling amp using headphones mostly these days. The amp has more than enough amp modelling settings and effects options, and the obligatory tuner. (I'm pretty sure you can link it to a computer also). Fantastic amp for home use in particular and great value for money.

I also own a Roland Microcube which is a great little amp that takes headphones.

Good luck!

Last edited by Steel and wood; 12-14-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:50 AM

I have a Yamaha THR5 which you can find on MF's website for 20% off on a customer return (one shows up every week or so). It is the best sounding amp I own. Lately I gig with it plugging the headphone output into our PA.

It also runs nicely on a 12 volt battery with one of these adapters (also the battery I use which gives me at least 6 hours of operation per charge):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
EDIT: it seems Amazon or the vendor is out of stock or discontinued the particular adapter you need: DC6.0x4.3mm Male to DC5.5x2.1mm Female

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-25-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
Hi,

I have a Fender superchamp that I like quite a lot, but there's no headphone jack; that's presumably because it's a tube amp. I also have some little headphone amps, and an old Line 6 Pod, but I always worry that I may not be pushing the right buttons.

People on this forum have suggested simplicity: I'm still obsessed with that old Fred McDowell blues sound. So (assuming I'm right about tube amps not taking phones) are there good amps that would sound right when played out loud that I could also use with headphones?

(Can't wait till the end of this lockdown; it's keeping from really exploring amplifiers!)

thanks
will
Tube amps can have jacks, just typically don't. IMO, if you're playing through headphones it doesn't matter much what you plug into; you can make almost anything sound pretty good, like your Line 6 unit. Steve DeRosa's suggestion is the first one I thought of, though; I had the 5-watt head version of that amp's first cousin and it was great. I wish I'd held onto it, actually, it sounded really good and was quite versatile.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
Hi,

thanks
will
Hey Starter, what do you mean by "but I always worry that I may not be pushing the right buttons."? If you like the sound of it then it should suffice for what you want it to do.

Are you planning on getting rid of your Super Champ? I wouldn't buy another amp just because it may have a headphone jack. Upgrade yes, but not just for that function. There are other options, something like the Vox amPlug for $40 or similar.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-headphone-amp
Old 12-13-2020, 01:41 PM

There are a lot of options, and your older Pod could work for your needs. There's nothing that says that the owners of a modeling box or amp need to use all the options. There are actually a lot of sounds in many tube amps, particularly those with voicing or input options and at least three band EQ, so instead of "the wrong button" you may worry about "the wrong set of knob positions."

I've needed to spend a lot of time on headphones because acoustic guitar is too loud for my family. It's not the same as moving air in a room, but it beats not being able to play.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-13-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I have a Yamaha THR5
There are a number of so called "desktop" amps. Yamaha has been there from the begining and every new model is better than the last. Hard to go wrong with one!
Old 12-13-2020, 05:42 PM

You gotta check out the Spark by Positive Grid!
Old 12-13-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Marshall MG 10. It is a pretty good 10 watt amp with a clean channel, an overdrive and a 1/4" headphone jack. But the best thing about it is that I bought it and a guitar for twenty bucks at a garage sale. I sold the guitar to my friend for twenty bucks and he hung it on the wall in his basement bar. So the amp was free.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-14-2020, 12:23 AM

Default thanks!

Thank you Steve, and everyone. The Bugera looks like exactly what I had in mind, thanks to Mrs. (Dr.) Enabler it will be under the (virtual) tree if it gets here in time in time for Christmas.

Very excited. It's going to be a long winter, and on top of everything else I think Mrs. E. will appreciate it if I do my scales and stuff on the electric with headphones.

(Now if there was just a way to do that with a banjo...)

will
Old 12-14-2020, 06:29 AM

I love tube amps, I do..

but that said..

I'm a big fan of Fender Mustangs and Marshal Code amps as practice amps.

Loads of Effects built in, and lots of modeling options. A fast learning curve and after that it is very easy to get two or three sounds you like, out of the many possibilities they offer.

You can even run the Marshall Code with your Android or Apple smart phone

But, hey, it's your dough,, go for what you think you'll be the happiest with.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:49 PM

I like the Roland Amps better than the Yamaha Thr amps. I found the noise gate in the THR to be annoying in my headphones. I could hear it doing things to the sound. The Roland Blues (or even the 10GX) sounds and acts more natural to me.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:21 PM

My Katana amp is good with headphones. But quite frankly, I get the best headphone tone out of Amplitude or bias amp iPad apps.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I thought these were gimmicks until I tried one. If you want just headphone practice, might give one of these a try. Theyre only around $40, and runs on 2x AAA batts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC522D2A-B565-420F-BED0-3B304C79A20E.jpg (17.1 KB, 236 views)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 12-20-2020 at 03:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars