The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-06-2020, 10:52 PM

Default Lets find the best all in one Surf pedal!

My birthday's coming up. Yes I've had a reverb tank for 20 years or so (reissue), but sometimes that's too much work with the lifting and carrying... I do have an ancient holy grail pedal for lazy times.

My tremolo pedal is a Carl Martin Trem-o-Vibe from the early 2000s. Good pedal but not without its flaws. One being it has its own plug. Can't power it with my pedal supply. Is there a one pedal solution?

So I'm looking for a pedal that does it all. So far my top contender is the Milkman F-stop. Seems like all one would need for SSI (Surf/Spy/Instro). Who's got a contender?

Old 11-06-2020, 11:53 PM

Have you looked at the EHX Oceans 11 or 12? The spring tank sound is really good.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:43 AM

Love the video and the playing!

One of my favourite sounds!
Old 11-07-2020, 07:42 AM

I have the Boss '63 Fender reverb pedal. The tone is identical to the Fender Reverb unit from that period minus the sproing sound if you jar it. It is far superior to the Mojotone reverb tank in my Deluxe Reverb.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 AM

I like where you are heading with this! You may want to check out a Strymon Flint. But that milkman sounds pretty good too. Strymon has more bells and whistles.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I have the Boss '63 Fender reverb pedal. The tone is identical to the Fender Reverb unit from that period minus the sproing sound if you jar it. It is far superior to the Mojotone reverb tank in my Deluxe Reverb.
If you ever side by side it with a Boss RV-5 or RV-6, it almost makes you sad if you can't just buy a new Boss 63 Fender. One of my biggest "coulda-woulda-shoulda" failures to purchase... Too expensive on the used market for my tastes for a pedal with a lot of years on it. Plus no trem.

But yeah, as a stand in for a tank, it's hard to beat. I don't know if it CAN be beat.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
Have you looked at the EHX Oceans 11 or 12? The spring tank sound is really good.
Yes I have. EHX is probably my favorite big company. The eleven would be a great choice if I didn't already have the holy grail. I'm too intimidated by the 12 to even look at it

It compares very favorably to the Boss FRV to my ear. Listening to demos between the two without looking at the screen, it's easy to lose track of which one is being played.

But really I'm looking for verb and trem all in one unit. But really I'm willing to go another $70 for a pedal with a trem function.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I like where you are heading with this! You may want to check out a Strymon Flint. But that milkman sounds pretty good too. Strymon has more bells and whistles.
Oooooooh... I could just scratch '80s off the enclosure and never get tired of switching between the other modes! I would like a little more "ice picky" sound than were present in the demos I just watched. But my tank is extremely ice picky and I've played it for 20 years so my ear is tuned to it. You line up ten Fender reissue tanks and you will be able to label each one as to whether it's more suited to lead or rhythm playing. There is a huge amount of variation.

It's now a real horse race! $50 more, but the tube/photo option on the trem is extremely cool! And it takes an expression pedal!

It's kind of like my Keeley Darkside in terms of one stop shop for a particular sound that I want. Maybe the race is over considering the expression pedal option.

Never looked at Strymon before. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2020, 12:19 PM

BOSS RV-3 Digital Delay/Reverb and a BOSS TR-2 pedal for Tremolo.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

I have one of these and it works pretty well for surf sounds...

Old 11-11-2020, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Double post
Old 11-11-2020, 05:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

So you guys want to knock the original surf pedal off its throne?

We are talking about the Shin Ei Companion Volume, Wah, Surf, Hurricane, Siren pedal from the early '70s. The Sears Roebuck Catalog declared it the king of surf. I actually had one.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
So you guys want to knock the original surf pedal off its throne?

We are talking about the Shin Ei Companion Volume, Wah, Surf, Hurricane, Siren pedal from the early '70s. The Sears Roebuck Catalog declared it the king of surf. I actually had one.

Bob
What a beautiful, beautiful thing! I'm so thrilled that existed!

I don't know about you, but I no longer need to own things. Having owned and enjoyed them previously is more than enough. You are a lucky person in my book for having had it.

Off to youtube with fingers crossed to try and see a vid on this baby!
Old 11-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Don't you just look for a verb pedal with at least a 10 second tail?
Old 11-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Don't you just look for a verb pedal with at least a 10 second tail?
Except I want tremolo too! I'm working on a couple sub $200 options right now. I saw some demos of the J Rockett Mr. Moto (best name ever for a Surf Pedal!) and the Keeley Verb o Trem. I can demo the Keeley locally and could get a great deal on it.

One of those cases of not letting the perfect get in the way of the great. I want the Strymon at this point. But if can get everything I need for almost a third the price?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars