The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-14-2020, 10:19 AM

I think it's rather attractively braced! Here's a link to an IG shot of the current batch of 4 that I imagine Ciaran has been working overtime to get out to impatient clients before Christmas. I have an Adi/Cuban Mahogany OM coming in the next batch, as another treat to myself for surviving the last year relatively intact mentally and physically!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIvF1AHn9MB/
Old 12-15-2020, 03:11 PM

Voila! On its way... I will doubtless do the usual gush of excitement when it arrives, but will do my best to hold off on recording it for a few weeks to let it settle in

Old 12-15-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Looks fantastic!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-15-2020, 05:25 PM

Looks great! I'm excited for you!
Old 12-15-2020, 07:28 PM

Very unique, congrats. Looking forward to a McNally myself.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:04 AM

Default Early Christmas Present

There was NO WAY I was gonna wait till Christmas to open the box! Had a
(f)unboxing with my son this morning after opening my front door to find the UPS elves had dropped by during the night. My son said the "woods smell a bit Christmasy". The cedar does have that nice hint of spicey mulled wine going on..

The finish is very thin Satin as I requested, so you can see some of the Padauk pores. The woods are exceptionally characterful. As to the sound, I'll wait a bit to comment and do some recording, except for a couple of things:
1) McNally guitars definitely hit that mid-Atlantic spot between "Irish" and "American" tonal envelope, he seems to be able to combine the best of both worlds.
2) His work represents remarkable value in the luthier guitar market.
3) Yay cedar! No hanging around waiting for this stuff to open up. I've been playing for a couple of hours and enjoying myself in the process.
Happy Christmas All!
Old 12-19-2020, 06:48 PM

If it sounds half a good as it looks, it should be amazing
Old 12-20-2020, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

Impeccable work and interesting wood combination, would be curious to hear a recording in due time.

McNally has gained quite a bit of visibility lately, I hope to play on of his guitars soon.

Enjoy the early Christmas gift!
Tom
Old 01-14-2021, 07:01 PM

So I've had this lovely piece for a few weeks now, and got round to doing some recording. I've been really digging this guitar, it's got a nice woody sweetness that seduces you into a developing relationship. Hopefully the videos give a little insight into its qualities. I find it well-balanced with plenty of power and responsiveness, a strong fundamental with excellent sustain, enough overtones and a certain airiness that I like. The tonal envelope reflects Ciaran's mid-Atlantic vibe, which works for my Irish-American heritage. It's been bringing me plenty of joy in these lonely times.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:06 PM

That's a really nice sounding guitar. I like the way he voices his instruments. Nice playing btw.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:19 AM

Thumbs up

Old 01-15-2021, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Nicely demonstrated thanks. Quite impressed by the balance and fat trebles. The harmonic content even on single lead notes is quite remarkable.

Sounds like a winner, congrats!
Cheers,
Old 01-15-2021, 04:42 PM

Merci Tom! The timing of arrival coincided with the Sands landing in Paris, so it's been fun to have a parallel process of excitement and getting acquainted with 2 quite different instruments.
The cool thing is that we are sharing the experience of having ordered a guitar that really makes you want to play more. I've commissioned quite a few guitars over the last 20 years, and this one has definitely given me the most satisfaction. I also agree with you about the pleasure of a comfortable relationship with the builder, which adds to the happy memories.

The other thing I love about this guitar is that it's only just over 14 inches in the lower bout and 4 inches deep, so you can couch noodle with relative ease, but it has none of the boxiness that I associate with most instruments this size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop