The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2021, 11:06 AM

Default LR Baggs Anthem vs K&K Pure Mini

Planning to get a Martin 000-15m and putting a pickup in it. I play in a worship band and we also do some acoustic live sessions. Which of these two would you recommend? I really like a punchy wooden sound. In terms of a full band, it might not matter but when we do acoustic sessions I want a punchy and percussive tone.

Edit:
Also, which of these two pickups would be a better representation of the wooden and sweet sound of an all mahogany guitar?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:28 PM

Caveat: I know the K&K only from web samples, whereas I have firsthand experience of the Anthem (SL version). I really like the sound of the Anthem in my Eastman OM, but from the way you describe your tonal goals I suspect the K&K might work better for you. I find the sound of the K&K clips I’ve heard a little too dark and boxy, but they’re certainly “woody”.

The Anthem by comparison has a nice open, airy sound, but has a smidgen of that artificial UST thing that I think nobody loves, but some people hate more than others. I find it well within the acceptable range — USTs have come a long way, and the design of the Anthem keeps the UST sound mostly in its least offensive frequency range.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-17-2021, 12:35 PM

Thanks for that info about the Lr baggs anthem. I actually already bought the anthem sl but i was intrigued about the k&k. Would you say the anthem have a punchy sound as others decribed?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdie2002 View Post
Thanks for that info about the Lr baggs anthem. I actually already bought the anthem sl but i was intrigued about the k&k. Would you say the anthem have a punchy sound as others decribed?
I feel like "punchy" is kind of a vague word and means different things to different people. Sometimes I think people use it to mean something like "mid-focused", in which case I would not use that word for the Anthem SL. It's more open, and maybe even a little scooped; of course you can vary that a little with the mic/pickup balance control, but to me the basic "fingerprint" of the Anthem is that it has a warm, full, but not overbearing low/low-mid character and a nice open, natural high/high-mid character. Where it's lacking, if anywhere, is in between, in that mid-mid "woody" range. For me, that works.

(EDIT: I should clarify that I *don't* actually find the Anthem lacking in the mid-mids, but there's no particular emphasis there, and I think sometimes "punchy" equates to an emphasis there.)
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-17-2021, 12:50 PM

Hi nightchef,

Do you have by chance a recording of your Eastman anthem equipped. I too have an Eastman and I am wondering about my next pickup.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-17-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi nightchef,

Do you have by chance a recording of your Eastman anthem equipped. I too have an Eastman and I am wondering about my next pickup.
I don't, sorry -- I never record with the pickup, and I don't think I have any recordings of me gigging with it, though it's possible. I'll double-check that.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-17-2021, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

The K&K does have a woodier and more percussive tone but I would install the Anthem SL if you don’t want to use a DI/IR.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The K&K does have a woodier and more percussive tone but I would install the Anthem SL if you don’t want to use a DI/IR.

Hi aaron, i watched your interview with lr baggs. That sold me in getting the voiceprint di. Im actually will be going into my pedalboard which has the voiceprint di. Im wondering what are your thoughts considering this setup.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdie2002 View Post
Hi aaron, i watched your interview with lr baggs. That sold me in getting the voiceprint di. Im actually will be going into my pedalboard which has the voiceprint di. Im wondering what are your thoughts considering this setup.
In that case I would suggest the K&K (I’m enjoying the Trance right now which is similar but active). As long as you are always going to have your board with you.

I am an Anthem fan as well for the record.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I currently have both a K&K dual source and an Anthem SL.
The Combo of the internal mic and K&K mini is far superior then just the K&K.
It adds the air that I find was missing from just the K&K alone. Regardless of the dual source or just the Mini alone, the K&K needs EQ to really shine. It can be punchy with some mid bump.

I find the Anthem to be a much more friendly plug and play set up.
It sounds more like my guitar with just a bit of enhanced low end, which I love, especially for solo singer-songwriter gigs. And it can be louder without feedback issues. All this without extensive EQ adjustments.

I will eventually take the guitar equipped with the K&K and swap it out
For the Anthem.

On a side note, the Anthem/UST Element did effect the unplugged sound of every guitar I have had it in except one. There was a loss of volume and low end. I live with it because it was subtle. And, because it just sounds great plugged in.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 01-18-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Hi nightchef,

So I went ahead and did this -- recorded a little strumming and then fingerpicking with both the Anthem and an external mic.

Caveats: the strings are a bit dead, and I didn't fuss much about mic selection or placement -- this is not a mic sound I would settle for if I were doing a serious recording, it's too bass-y, but it gives you a basic idea for comparison.

Here's the mic (AT 4047, about 10 inches away, pointing between the soundhole and neck joint).

Here's the Anthem SL.

In its raw state, it's pretty woolly, but a fairly moderate amount of EQ (HPF at 72 and slight midrange dips at 450 and 700 Hz) makes it a reasonably balanced/natural sound, I think:

EQ'd Anthem.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-18-2021, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
So I went ahead and did this -- recorded a little strumming and then fingerpicking with both the Anthem and an external mic.

Caveats: the strings are a bit dead, and I didn't fuss much about mic selection or placement -- this is not a mic sound I would settle for if I were doing a serious recording, it's too bass-y, but it gives you a basic idea for comparison.

Here's the mic (AT 4047, about 10 inches away, pointing between the soundhole and neck joint).

Here's the Anthem SL.

In its raw state, it's pretty woolly, but a fairly moderate amount of EQ (HPF at 72 and slight midrange dips at 450 and 700 Hz) makes it a reasonably balanced/natural sound, I think:

EQ'd Anthem.
Excellent demo and playing, so clean. It’s also a great comparison of the mic and the Anthem. While it sounds smaller it is an excellent sound that will surely cut through on stage.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:06 PM

Nice demo and good comparison. Thanks for sharing them nightchef. Thanks everyone for all your replies.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Thanks Nightchef!!

It sounds good however a bit bright compared to the external mic track.

Is the mic gain (screwdriver pot) set pretty high?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-19-2021, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Nightchef!!

It sounds good however a bit bright compared to the external mic track.

Is the mic gain (screwdriver pot) set pretty high?
Maybe it’s not that the Anthem is bright but that the studio mic picks up more room sound and low end which makes it appear fuller and warmer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification