The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaker installation is a DIY if you want to get a jump on things - just make sure you get the polarity right; ...
Speaker polarity is irrelevant in single-speaker amps. If an extension cab is used, ok, pay attention.

Steven
Old 01-15-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
Speaker polarity is irrelevant in single-speaker amps...
I was told just the opposite by my former amp tech: while you're not dealing with potential phase problems as in a multi-/extension-speaker rig, even in a single-speaker setup you need to take cone excursion into account; as it was explained to me, the cone's suspension is designed for outward motion and rebound to a neutral position - when you reverse the polarity you're creating inward rather than outward movement and, analogous to a car whose suspension bottoms out on a deep pothole or hard bump, you run the risk of damaging the voice coil (possibly the cone as well) when it too bottoms out...
Old 01-15-2021, 01:19 PM

Raezer's Edge has come out with their own line of solid state amplifiers and combos. The Centauri Hybrid combo looks like an impressive amp with a tube preamp and class D poweramp. Very light, 200 watts and a variety of speaker combinations available. From the demos I've seen and because of the speaker choices/open back, I suspect that I would choose this over the Henriksen:

https://www.raezers-edge.com/products/centauri-hybrid/

There is a good thread on Jazzguitar.be about it, including video demos:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guit...aezer%27s+edge

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops