The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have been focusing on rhythm these days. I feel that is one of my weak areas. So it is counting, working with a metronome and getting more solid with my patterns. I think that will help me play syncopated rhythms more successfully and add interest to my guitar accompaniments.

I have backed off doing more performing until I feel more confident with my guitar playing.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Love the list man. Love seeing "second halfers" embracing the guitar too. And the signature stuff clip is really nice too!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDepew View Post
Love the list man. Love seeing "second halfers" embracing the guitar too. And the signature stuff clip is really nice too!
Thanks!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Goals:

try to stay out of ruts

coming up with good melodies

having more free time

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-03-2018, 04:30 PM

I turn 45 this week, and been playing, really, for only about 3 years. My goals at the moment are:
  1. Get good at as many Grateful Dead songs as I can.
  2. Find a group of people who want to play the Dead acoustically (a couple acoustics, upright bass, maybe a piano and some stripped down drums). I think this kind of thing would be an absolute blast at local farmer's markets or outdoor gatherings.
  3. Play music for people that makes them feel good and makes them smile.
  4. If all of those fail, I just want to play my guitar and get better, every day, for the rest of my life.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I've always adhered to the name that Ken Kesey gave his bus in the book "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Tests" by Tom Wolfe.

"Further."

For me, it's sort of a mantra which means to always follow wherever the spirit of the music takes me. The second I actually write a 'goal' down with a 'timeline' I know that I'm kissing it goodbye when the next bend in the road comes along. As long as I can keep moving "Further" down that road, I'm good.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 PM

I just turned 62 last week.

My goal is simply to play at all. Life has taken me away from the guitar (fortunately, not my guitars away from me) but there they sit, gathering dust.

I gotta find the will, the inspiration, something more than "I gotta do it" and do it.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I've always adhered to the name that Ken Kesey gave his bus in the book "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Tests" by Tom Wolfe.

"Further."

For me, it's sort of a mantra which means to always follow wherever the spirit of the music takes me. The second I actually write a 'goal' down with a 'timeline' I know that I'm kissing it goodbye when the next bend in the road comes along. As long as I can keep moving "Further" down that road, I'm good.
Pretty much my mantra as well though I must confess I don't think of it in the formal sense. If I might say so, reading your mention of it sounds like you give it similar treatment.

I play, I learn but it's just an unremarkable natural progression of continued searching around the fret board for interesting stuff.

Once the mechanics of playing no longer inhibit the capacity to try anything and everything, what naturally comes next is the free will to let curiosity roam the board. That alone will carry me forever into a musical journey of ins and outs. Covers are always fun to romance my influences of old but the true sport of play is making new music.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 PM

Just turned 60 in Feb and just enjoying playing fingerstyle . I gigged for thirty years and now enjoy playing and leading worship. I find at this age you must play regularly or your hands get stiff . Goals , well I’ve only played acoustic 100% for the last seven years and to make the most musically out of each day and just enjoy the wonderful world of the guitar
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 PM

To keep learning more tunes (those othets wrote and those i wrote) more deeply.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embo View Post
I turn 45 this week, and been playing, really, for only about 3 years. My goals at the moment are:
  2. Find a group of people who want to play the Dead acoustically (a couple acoustics, upright bass, maybe a piano and some stripped down drums). I think this kind of thing would be an absolute blast at local farmer's markets or outdoor gatherings.
  4. If all of those fail, I just want to play my guitar and get better, every day, for the rest of my life.
I'm in, what's your location?

The bold one especially.

Personally, I try to work on a certain technique (currently bass runs/fills to accompany/accentuate my strumming), run through the repertoire rotating songs in or out, and always devote some time to just PLAY.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embo View Post
If you live near Annapolis, MD / DC, i'd join you. I know a couple GD songs. And I have all those instruments, except a banjo. (why dont I own a banjo? Hmmmmm)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
If you live near Annapolis, MD / DC, i'd join you. I know a couple GD songs. And I have all those instruments, except a banjo. (why dont I own a banjo? Hmmmmm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
I'm in, what's your location?
Unfortunately, Eastern Iowa is a LONG trip to MD/DC! I actually have a banjo, but I cheated and bought a six string, which is tuned like a guitar, it just has the banjo sound. I got it cheap, and I'll easily get what I paid for it back out of it just in terms of fun. One day though, maybe I'll seek out a 4 or 5 string and learn the tuning on it.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

At 68 my goal for the last 2 years has been get back into electric after 47 years away, and really learn how to play lead

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-11-2018, 09:44 AM

To become accomplished enough on acoustic guitars to be able play all three styles that are backing up the lovely Ms. Krauss here:

https://youtu.be/nnowvP8oFWE

Last edited by gwlee7; 07-11-2018 at 09:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write