The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 AM

Default Newbie to Open Mic. Figured I'd Share Progress

Hey guys, I have been singing since I was a kid and playing guitar since college (about 5 years out). Recently, my friend convinced me to start doing open mics so I have been giving it my best.

This is my third time doing it and only did this one song. My buddy recorded it so I figured I'd get feedback. I've been fighting a sinus infection so the singing isn't quite perfect and I botched a few lyrics here and there as a result of my nerves. The looping at the end was OK though the monitor was very low so it was hard to get the tempo 100% and botched one part...

I'll keep posting vids as they are recorded and I expand my music selection.

This is Howie Day's "Sorry So Sorry" or at least my best attempt at it for the time being

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLSYzSSqOPU
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 AM

no comments or feedback
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM

Welcome to the forum, 2000_328ci (bmw).

It was hard to get a perspective on the performance. Sounded ok, but hard to hear.

If you get a chance, record something a little closer or by yourself.

We would be happy to give you some feedback.

take care,

Mike Solo
Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Did you have fun? Did you learn something? That's what open mic is all about.

I thought that you did a very nice job with this. I'm not familiar witht the original, but both your guitar and your vocals were smooth and pleasing. You made music. Of course a live recording will sound rough compared to a studio recording with careful audio engineering. But you did a great job. Most people don't have the guts to do what you did.

I'll look forward to more videos.

Steve
Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Keep doing the open mics. You'll get better and better. Don't sweat the stuff about whither you sound perfect or not........most people don't have the testicals to get up there and sing anyways. Just keep playing and don't let a bad night get you down. You will be fine....And for what it's worth, you sound fine.....

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Really appreciate the feedback guys and I didn't mean to sound needy or anything by bumping the thread but was just looking for feedback in general. Basic reason being, it's been a long time since I have performed for strangers (used to do a lot of musical theater) and, as a result, it's hard for me to gauge if I'm doing a decent job or not. My friend who went to the open mic wtih me was very flattering with his comments but we all know how friends and family can pad comments and will hold back on negatives. Getting general feedback from strangers provides more realistic critiques in my opinion.

As for the recording, I'll definitely try and get something done that provides more crisp audio. I still need to buy a microphone (which will help a lot I think as I need to learn how to utilize my singing in conjunction with the mic.. stage theater you just belt it out and let the sound crew adjust accordingly).

I'm going to certainly keep performing and will continually host new videos in this thread to provide my progress. Hopefully I'll get decent one of these days

Do you think a vocal coach can help?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM

From what i hear your vocals seem fine. Keep up the good work. Just, like to hear you up close.

Thanks for sharing

Solo

Mike Solo
Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
From what i hear your vocals seem fine. Keep up the good work. Just, like to hear you up close.

Thanks for sharing

Solo
I'll try and get a mic and actually do some higher quality recording that will give you a better idea.. but glad to hear that I am not embarrassingly bad.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:27 PM

I thought it was as good as 90% of the people I hear at open mics. Don't forget, om's are for tuning your craft...if you were great already, you'd be getting paid for playing somewhere.
You hit a few flat notes singing, but if you really had a sinus infection then it was pretty good.
Next time play a song that everybody knows and can hum along with. Generally speaking, people want to hear familiar songs.

Everett-Celona
Taylor DDX
Heyser- Englemann/Maple
G&L ASAT
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM

I thought it sounded pretty good. Like someone else said, vocals were a little flat during a few parts, but it wasn't gut turning flat. You did well, imo.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah, what started out as just a stuffy nose turned into a sinus infection when i tried to cure it by using a netti pot several times a day... still dealing with it till today though it's not quite as bad.. just don't feel like I'm breathing "freely"

I need to find a good song that I can do with the loop that people know better.. i've seen billy jean done pretty well but I feel it's a bit high for my vocals.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328ci View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah, what started out as just a stuffy nose turned into a sinus infection when i tried to cure it by using a netti pot several times a day... still dealing with it till today though it's not quite as bad.. just don't feel like I'm breathing "freely"

I need to find a good song that I can do with the loop that people know better.. i've seen billy jean done pretty well but I feel it's a bit high for my vocals.
funny! I just posted a "billie jean" version by Jose Feliciano in another thread! Check it out. He is singing in a lower key...and just making it his own.

Which leads me to my critique. You play well, and there is a voice hiding there somewhere. Just cultivate your own style. Don't worry about representing a song as the artist did.

I play and write 99% of the time. But if I do a play and sing a song by another artist, I sure as heck don't try to copy them exactly. Not saying you are...but in order play to your full potential you need to find YOUR style. Practice, patience and MORE practice!!

Also, the nettie pot works great! I used it this morning for my never ending sinus problems. Use it 2-3 times a day for the most effestiveness. Good Luck! Ron
Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronedee View Post
funny! I just posted a "billie jean" version by Jose Feliciano in another thread! Check it out. He is singing in a lower key...and just making it his own.

Which leads me to my critique. You play well, and there is a voice hiding there somewhere. Just cultivate your own style. Don't worry about representing a song as the artist did.

I play and write 99% of the time. But if I do a play and sing a song by another artist, I sure as heck don't try to copy them exactly. Not saying you are...but in order play to your full potential you need to find YOUR style. Practice, patience and MORE practice!!

Also, the nettie pot works great! I used it this morning for my never ending sinus problems. Use it 2-3 times a day for the most effestiveness. Good Luck! Ron
Ron, thanks so much for the insights. I'll definitely try to work on my own style and harness it. Despite not being crazy about his vocals, I think John Mayer or Dave Matthews represent your point well.. neither has a "traditional" voice but both work well because they have laerned how to distinctly (and interestingly) utilize them.

I'll definitely check out the Billie Jean version you posted and may just give it a whirl

As for your netti use, do you boil the water or use filtered water or just use it right from the tap?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM

If you are battling an infection? Filtered and boiled. I have mostly dust and pollen allergies. I try to avoid infections by using the "npot" early.

I see what you are saying about Mathews and Mayer. The latter is not on my radar of much enjoyment.

As an original artist, I play very few covers....but when I do I try to find artists that are close to my style of playing and singing. I found that potential fans of mine do need a point of reference. So, I'll throw a cover song in here and there so they can see where I'm coming from stylistically.

I'll find a song I like and learn it as written. I then use all my little tricks, maybe a key change, and an arragement that compliments the song. Sometimes I'll change the whole song after a long while of playing it, and just use parts of the original as hooks in "my" new song! LOL!

I've had a few drunks over the years tell me "you butchered that song". But overall, I've had good responses, and most of all FUN!

The interesting part as a writer is peeps coming up and telling me I sound like a host of artists! (Donovan, Matthews, The Beach Boys, Dylan, Morrison...Van & Jim)!!! Go figure?! I guess if they all told me I sounded like ONE person like Elvis, I'd give up! Or buy a costume and go to Las Vegas!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronedee View Post
If you are battling an infection? Filtered and boiled. I have mostly dust and pollen allergies. I try to avoid infections by using the "npot" early.

I see what you are saying about Mathews and Mayer. The latter is not on my radar of much enjoyment.

As an original artist, I play very few covers....but when I do I try to find artists that are close to my style of playing and singing. I found that potential fans of mine do need a point of reference. So, I'll throw a cover song in here and there so they can see where I'm coming from stylistically.

I'll find a song I like and learn it as written. I then use all my little tricks, maybe a key change, and an arragement that compliments the song. Sometimes I'll change the whole song after a long while of playing it, and just use parts of the original as hooks in "my" new song! LOL!

I've had a few drunks over the years tell me "you butchered that song". But overall, I've had good responses, and most of all FUN!

The interesting part as a writer is peeps coming up and telling me I sound like a host of artists! (Donovan, Matthews, The Beach Boys, Dylan, Morrison...Van & Jim)!!! Go figure?! I guess if they all told me I sounded like ONE person like Elvis, I'd give up! Or buy a costume and go to Las Vegas!
Haha, so true. Really hope one day I am at your level and can have the confidence in my creativity to play an original. First, I suppose I need to learn to write.. I mess around every now and then but never am satisfied with what I've put together.

I am a HUGE fan of Howie Day and feel that, on a good night, I can do a decent job covering his stuff.. and it's nice to do because most people will not have heard of his stuff (at least the live stuff I enjoy that he does).

I have done Ghost twice and will have my friend record it next time I do it.. really like the way I put it on live but here is the man himself (who i am seeing this saturday in baltimore md) playing on a late night show... so sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmlr0Jc9hPQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell