The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 PM

I am 61. The very first time I ever touched a guitar or any instrument was 5 years ago. My goal is to shut the world off when I pick up my guitar. I always tell people when I play guitar its just like when I ride my motorcycle on the street....there is absolutely nothing else you can be thinking about at the time.

And that's why I do it.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embo View Post
Unfortunately, Eastern Iowa is a LONG trip to MD/DC! I actually have a banjo, but I cheated and bought a six string, which is tuned like a guitar, it just has the banjo sound. I got it cheap, and I'll easily get what I paid for it back out of it just in terms of fun. One day though, maybe I'll seek out a 4 or 5 string and learn the tuning on it.
I remember playing a Banjitar at a local shop. I think i broke the rules and played Stairway to Heaven on it. That was interesting.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 AM

When I was much younger my only goal was to play as good as Andy Griffith on his tv show where he occasionally played his D18 on the porch. It didn't take me long to realize Andy was no virtuoso and only strummed cowboy chords with his thumb. That led into a fascination with bluegrass and with my Martin custom D28 I became proficient at it in a few years. When it was stolen from me I made a bitter vow that I was done playing guitar. A few years later my oldest son made a stinging comment to me. He said "dad it's like you lost your musical soul when you gave up guitar". I could never afford another guitar like the Martin and reluctantly began going from one cheap dred to another, never motivated to play like I was with my Martin.

I'm 65 now and last year I inherited a custom build dred from a wealthy friend who went to Japan in 1982 and commissioned Kazuo Yairi directly to build the guitar for my friend which he left left me when he passed from cancer. It was a stunning guitar with a beautiful, 36 year matured sound to die for. Unfortunately the guitar was severely crushed in a bad accident on a road trip when a guy ran into me at 55mph while I was stopped in road construction on a highway in Illinois. Dred number two in my life gone. My friend's brother let me buy a custom Taylor GS factory order that was left in my friend's collection for a third of what my friend paid for it because I helped his brother sell the bulk of my friend's vast guitar collection. The GS doesn't have the sound I want even though it's a stunning guitar in every way.

I write a few songs a week I play weekly at a jam session, several of which are attracting notice from a vast number of Nashville heavyweights. I have an old friend in Nashville whose songs have been recorded by the likes of Garth Brooks and John Denver. Even John Prine's wife told my friend she loved one of my songs. I'm about to trade the GS for a Gibson custom shop limited edition advanced jumbo maple back and sides dred with an Adirondack top. The run was limited originally to 65 guitars. It has the sound I'm looking for, which is booming for bluegrass picking and bright for chord strumming for my songwriting.

My current playing goals are to learn about a thousand new chord position variations all over the neck. Fortunately, my deceased friend also left me an original copy of the first printing of an iconic book called Chord Chemistry that I will be studying extensively.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:28 PM

The ultimate goal is to be able to play without thinking, express myself through the language of music as it were. But I've got no illusion that that could be an extremely long road. Hell, I may not even make it.

In the shorter term I'd like to at least have enough knowledge of the fretboard to improvise proficiently. At the moment though, I'm still working on technique, but I can see the light ahead thanks to music theory. I just haven't really put it to much practice yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write