The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
On a slightly different note...

I was once told by an incredibly gifted solo guitarist (and then read a similar statement in a guitar mag) that there is nothing more boring (in musical performance) than to sit and listen to a solo guitar performance.

Now you and I may disagree, but I have learned from sad experience that it is pretty close to the truth. While I might be glued to the music and the fingers running up an down the fretboard, average joe and jane lose interest pretty quickly and though they may enjoy the music, the music becomes background to their conversations, etc.

JackL
if TE at a TE concert just becomes "background" to their conversation, they need to get their behind out of the concert hall and into a bar where they can yap all they want.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:10 PM
PIT748272

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
On a slightly different note...

I was once told by an incredibly gifted solo guitarist (and then read a similar statement in a guitar mag) that there is nothing more boring (in musical performance) than to sit and listen to a solo guitar performance.

Now you and I may disagree, but I have learned from sad experience that it is pretty close to the truth. While I might be glued to the music and the fingers running up an down the fretboard, average joe and jane lose interest pretty quickly and though they may enjoy the music, the music becomes background to their conversations, etc.

JackL
Good point. I can run a pretty good instrumental in a mix of songs and it's the songs that get the weight of attention. Even if the instrumental is spot on the sung melody of a cover, it loses for the want of the actual lyrics. Instrumentals are for guitar enthusiasts only, IMO, so I play them for myself. I mean, I've never had an audience of guitarists at an open mic.

Edit: TE is a fantastic player who bores the crap out of the ladies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell