The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Shop on-line in good faith and receive a negative buyer rating?

Regarding Reverb.com purchase of a Larrivee 00040 - I responded to a request (from Reverb) for feedback about my purchase; I stated I was pleased overall with the guitar - but a bit disappointed that the guitar arrived appearing to not have been inspected and set-up prior to shipment - the strings were clearly old and the action was high. I had my local luthier make it perfect (including leveling a high fret). After providing the feedback (as requested by Reverb) I got a notification from Reverb that the DEALER gave negative feedback about me for my "poor communication" - reason: "by providing feedback without reaching out to us (the dealer) first.". Fact is - I simply responded to the requested feedback - stating the facts without bashing - AND it was 4 weeks after the guitar was shipped from the dealer who never "reached out" to me to see if I was satisfied with the experience and offer to correct any mistakes.. What's wrong here? Rating the BUYER negatively.. is good for on-line business? I gave them money - they didn't fulfill their part of the deal 100% - "Reverb.com" asked for feedback - I was honest... Love the guitar - done with that Dealer.... Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 08-13-2020, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

I now assume a guitar will need a setup when I buy it - have for years. However, you can always reach out to Reverb and ask that your feedback be receded and both be removed. I did that one time in a similar situation and simply never bought from them again. It worth not having the drama on my feedback.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:49 AM

I have never bought a guitar on reverb, but I thought that it was used from private sellers. Please correct me if I am wrong. A setup is something that you should expect to have done after you purchase the guitar. The guitar should be setup to your specs. Also one of the first things I do after I buy a guitar is put the strings that I want on. That said the strings shouldn't have been dead when you bought it.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Regarding Reverb.com purchase of a Larrivee 00040 - I responded to a request (from Reverb) for feedback about my purchase; I stated I was pleased overall with the guitar - but a bit disappointed that the guitar arrived appearing to not have been inspected and set-up prior to shipment - the strings were clearly old and the action was high. I had my local luthier make it perfect (including leveling a high fret). After providing the feedback (as requested by Reverb) I got a notification from Reverb that the DEALER gave negative feedback about me for my "poor communication" - reason: "by providing feedback without reaching out to us (the dealer) first.". Fact is - I simply responded to the requested feedback - stating the facts without bashing - AND it was 4 weeks after the guitar was shipped from the dealer who never "reached out" to me to see if I was satisfied with the experience and offer to correct any mistakes.. What's wrong here? Rating the BUYER negatively.. is good for on-line business? I gave them money - they didn't fulfill their part of the deal 100% - "Reverb.com" asked for feedback - I was honest... Love the guitar - done with that Dealer.... Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I do expect to need a set up when I buy a guitar, as I have my own ideas about action, relief etc., but I'm sometimes delighted if it is unnecessary.

However, I do think that you have been treated unfairly, and would challenge this.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:58 AM

As I read the sellers comment it comes off as pretty lame. Why should you have to "reach out" to the dealer before posting what you felt was honest feedback?
Were your expectations to receive a guitar properly set up and with a new set of strings unreasonable? That is for the person reading your comments to decide.
When I check out the negative comments of a seller or buyer, I try to evaluate the person who posted them as much as the person they are posted about.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

The way reverb works is that the seller is supposed to provide their feedback before the buyer does. Them holding back on giving you feedback until you give it is dishonest. It's waiting to see if you give them a good rating before they give you one. That's not really how the system is supposed to work.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:14 AM

fight it now
Old 08-13-2020, 06:16 AM

The only dealer that I ever received a guitar that was properly set up was
Gruhn Guitars. When I ordered it the sales person asked me how I wanted it set up and what strings I wanted on it. It came perfect.

No one ever asked me that before. Usually, in my experience, you get the factory set up.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:32 AM
Musical minimalist

The problem with "communication" these days (in regard to online shopping for guitars) is that the sites have made it so automatic...real, sincere communication has kind of gone out the window.

Add that to the fact that there are tons of sellers out there that are knowingly trying to offload instruments with issues and/or have no idea how to troubleshoot those issues, and you have a situation that is ripe for potential problems.

The fact that the dealer on Reverb you are speaking of said you had poor communication makes it sound like "well, you didn't ask if there were issues with the guitar"

Honesty and integrity in online guitar sales is a bit of a rare thing these days. The very reason after about 15 years of a lot of buying and selling, I quit cold turkey at the end of last year. Three purchases in a row with major problems and the sellers all "had no idea anything was wrong with it".....but still stood their proud ground and acted like it was on me now.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

This is one of the reasons I don't trust online ratings. Can be difficult to sift through the ones that are honest, those that are fake and those that are "negotiated".

My wife and I had just finished having dinner at a restaurant a while back and the waiter said he would give us 2 free drinks if we wrote a positive Yelp review, on the spot, and show it to him. We hadn't even ordered yet.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
This is one of the reasons I don't trust online ratings. Can be difficult to sift through the ones that are honest, those that are fake and those that are "negotiated".

My wife and I had just finished having dinner at a restaurant a while back and the waiter said he would give us 2 free drinks if we wrote a positive Yelp review, on the spot, and show it to him. We hadn't even ordered yet.
Yes, the ratings scam is prevalent. There are sites that automatically rate lawyers poorly until they literally buy their way to a higher rating and others that essentially sell awards to subscribers. Then there are the five star reviews from people who never paid for products or from those who bought items as gifts for others. “I bought this sweater for my grandson. He really loves it. Five stars.”
Old 08-13-2020, 08:12 AM

I can see it from both sides. If you felt you deserved new strings or a set up, best to communicate that to the seller before leaving feedback. But it is lame for the seller to give you a negative rating for honestly stating your considerations.

And, I should acknowledge that while I usually feel more communication is best, there have been times when my efforts to communicate with sellers haven’t gone as well as I would like: sometimes sincere and carefully worded feedback has been perceived as trying to scam the seller in some way, or manipulate an unfair deal, rather than being an attempt to reach a mutually satisfying completion of a deal.

Oh well. You pays your nickel and you gets your choice.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:33 AM

When I bought my GS Mini Koa, the seller had the guitar listed as MINT. Once I received it, I found SEVERAL dings in it, with a couple being pretty big ones. I called the guy and asked for a refund or a discount. He was pretty ugly about the whole deal and begrudgingly gave me a $50 discount and then a negative buyer review! At least the guitar is a great one and perfect for my kids to learn on.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-13-2020, 09:25 AM

Sometimes you gotta practice the art of "not caring" what others think. You both said what you think...you disagree...time to practice the art.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-13-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 08-13-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
I have never bought a guitar on reverb, but I thought that it was used from private sellers. Please correct me if I am wrong. ...
There are both dealers and individual sellers on Reverb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion