The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 07:22 PM

Default 14 fret 00 size guitars

Hey AGF. This is my first post! Very long time observer, but just now getting around to making an account. I'd like to gather some opinions on some options for 14 fret 00 size instruments under 2000 dollars. Im currently playing a Martin 000-1 which I adore and is great for my fingerstyle, but unfortunately it will need a neck reset soon, as well as a fret job. I could put the money in, or grab a smaller bodied guitar which is what Id rather do anyways. So here we are! Some of my considerations as of now...
1)Maton Srs808 - Love the styling and amplified sound. I've heard mixed things about acoustic tone of the 808s but I have played a few and they were all middle of the road for me. Defintely at the top end of my budget at 1900 from Artisan guitars.
2) Used 00-1 - If its anything like my triple 0 then I would be pleased with this. Only catch is they seem to be pretty rare. Saw one on reverb last week but it slipped through my fingers [emoji29][emoji29]. Let me know if you have a lead on one!! I would be interested.
3)Guild M40 or m240- Both seem somewhat similiar in tone from recordings Ive heard. Only played played the 240 in person; it was a very solid little guitar, but naturally very quiet(closer to 0 size)
4)Martin SW-00DB - These are very interesting to me, once again seemingly quite rare but very beautiful. Havent found any sound clips or reviews even.
5)Martin 00-15 - Could work out, Truthfully not as much of a fan of all mahogany guitars but a good price point and great build from what Ive seen and played. Ive seen a few martin custom 00-15 spruce top guitars which I would be all over given the chance...

Anyways thats what Ive come up with so far. Once again, first poster here so if anythings wrong let me know. Please chime in if you have any suggestions!! Whatever I end up with must be durable as Im a travelling musician. Cheers.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:27 PM

CEO-7, can be had new for just under $2k from a forum sponsor. Nothing on your list comes remotely close to competing.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
CEO-7, can be had new for just under $2k from a forum sponsor. Nothing on your list comes remotely close to competing.
Second this, my CEO-7 is an outstanding guitar. A used 00-18 would also fit in your price range.

Regarding a couple of the guitars on your list:

- I've never played a Maton but will say that most of the comments I've seen about them here and elsewhere echo your thoughts, in that they are great plugged in but just so so acoustically. If you gig a ton they make sense but otherwise I might consider something else.

- Haven't been too impressed with the Guild M's I've played. Their vintage guitars are awesome but the newer stuff is very hit or miss, and more miss IMO.

- 00-15's (15 series in general) are awesome guitars, great bang for the buck. But you definitely need to love the all mahogany tone, otherwise you'll be looking for something else once the honeymoon phase ends.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Default I just bought one of these

Eastman E15SS. I like it a lot. Doesn't sound like a Gibson LG2/B25 but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....-11135705.html
Old 08-11-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Second this, my CEO-7 is an outstanding guitar. A used 00-18 would also fit in your price range.

Regarding a couple of the guitars on your list:

- I've never played a Maton but will say that most of the comments I've seen about them here and elsewhere echo your thoughts, in that they are great plugged in but just so so acoustically. If you gig a ton they make sense but otherwise I might consider something else.

- Haven't been too impressed with the Guild M's I've played. Their vintage guitars are awesome but the newer stuff is very hit or miss, and more miss IMO.

- 00-15's (15 series in general) are awesome guitars, great bang for the buck. But you definitely need to love the all mahogany tone, otherwise you'll be looking for something else once the honeymoon phase ends.

I do go gig very frequently, which is the main appeal of one of these. Adding the fact that they seem to be built to withstand about anything; surely trading off the wow factor acoustically. I mean the pickup is just unmatched, nothing comes close to my ear so far.
I've played a ceo before, they are great sounding. The wider spacing threw me off a little bit but Im sure I could get used to that.
Could go 00-18 route... In my head I think I may as well save further and buy a new one to get benefit of having warranty. Only another 500$ [emoji848]Just some thoughts. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
Eastman E15SS. I like it a lot. Doesn't sound like a Gibson LG2/B25 but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....-11135705.html

Hey thats a cool option. How would you describe the sound? Played some Eastman dreads that were awesome, just too big for my shoulder.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:03 PM

Halcyon will build one with whatever wood, nut spacing or style of 00 you want. It will be unique and be yours personally. If you are in constant GAS like I am you may decide to sell it at some point in the future and they are easily sell-able on this forum, probably for as much as you paid for it which is not true of any other factory brand I know of.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollySwagman View Post
Hey AGF. This is my first post! Very long time observer, but just now getting around to making an account. I'd like to gather some opinions on some options for 14 fret 00 size instruments under 2000 dollars. Im currently playing a Martin 000-1 which I adore and is great for my fingerstyle, but unfortunately it will need a neck reset soon, as well as a fret job. I could put the money in, or grab a smaller bodied guitar which is what Id rather do anyways. So here we are! Some of my considerations as of now...
1)Maton Srs808 - Love the styling and amplified sound. I've heard mixed things about acoustic tone of the 808s but I have played a few and they were all middle of the road for me. Defintely at the top end of my budget at 1900 from Artisan guitars.
2) Used 00-1 - If its anything like my triple 0 then I would be pleased with this. Only catch is they seem to be pretty rare. Saw one on reverb last week but it slipped through my fingers [emoji29][emoji29]. Let me know if you have a lead on one!! I would be interested.
3)Guild M40 or m240- Both seem somewhat similiar in tone from recordings Ive heard. Only played played the 240 in person; it was a very solid little guitar, but naturally very quiet(closer to 0 size)
4)Martin SW-00DB - These are very interesting to me, once again seemingly quite rare but very beautiful. Havent found any sound clips or reviews even.
5)Martin 00-15 - Could work out, Truthfully not as much of a fan of all mahogany guitars but a good price point and great build from what Ive seen and played. Ive seen a few martin custom 00-15 spruce top guitars which I would be all over given the chance...

Anyways thats what Ive come up with so far. Once again, first poster here so if anythings wrong let me know. Please chime in if you have any suggestions!! Whatever I end up with must be durable as Im a travelling musician. Cheers.
From my perspective, I haven't tried most of them but Martin all mahogany produces a kind of direct sound and a little between muddy and too warm sound. I'm not a fan of all mahogany if you ask.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-12-2020 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Please stop selling in the General section
Old 08-11-2020, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E15SS

Quote:
Hey thats a cool option. How would you describe the sound? Played some Eastman dreads that were awesome, just too big for my shoulder.
I am not very good at describing tone. But I will say it is not what I expected from a Gibsonesque model. It seems more balanced. The guitar strikes me as a more well rounded instrument as opposed to one with a limited purpose. I would encourage you to give Ted a call at LA Guitar. He has always been very helpful with my searches. BTW - my understanding is that Ted kept one of these limited runs for his own collection. GLWTS(earch) Here is a few comments I posted over at the EGF forum.

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Th...ighlight=e15ss
Old 08-12-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
Where? Who? I’ve been looking for a CEO-7 for a while...
Martin 0-18 Custom
Waterloo WL-12MH
Gibson L-00 Studio
‘38 Kalamazoo KG-14
'20s Oscar Schmidt Stella
'20s Regal Superior
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiekimi View Post
Where? Who? I’ve been looking for a CEO-7 for a while...
I got mine from Willcutt in Kentucky for around $1,950. But go through the list of forum sponsors here and see if any of them have one in stock. If not reach out to shops that do have one in stock and see what their best price is.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I do go gig very frequently, which is the main appeal of one of these. Adding the fact that they seem to be built to withstand about anything; surely trading off the wow factor acoustically. I mean the pickup is just unmatched, nothing comes close to my ear so far.
I've played a ceo before, they are great sounding. The wider spacing threw me off a little bit but Im sure I could get used to that.
Could go 00-18 route... In my head I think I may as well save further and buy a new one to get benefit of having warranty. Only another 500$ [emoji848]Just some thoughts. Thanks for the reply!

If gigging frequently, the Maton is sorted! I love the CEO7 but you need a pickup/preamp/eq....

Looking at a couple of things you said, while the SRS808 is a great guitar for the money, the cedar top might make it less roadworthy than going upscale a bit to a sitka top.......looking at Artisan listings for you, I would go the Maton Nashville (808). They might deal, don’t know unless you ask. I have a custom 808 in sitka/Aust blackwood and contrary to advice above, it is sensational acoustically....may need to be played in hard though mine was great from go... or stretch further to a Tommy! My 3 Maton 808s had fast, low action from the box, very loud pickup with eq and swept mid control. I personally prefer a preamp like my Fishman Pro EQ AS WELL to give more knobs!.....more control! Good luck.

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-12-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
If gigging frequently, the Maton is sorted! I love the CEO7 but you need a pickup/preamp/eq....

Looking at a couple of things you said, while the SRS808 is a great guitar for the money, the cedar top might make it less roadworthy than going upscale a bit to a sitka top.......looking at Artisan listings for you, I would go the Maton Nashville (808). They might deal, don’t know unless you ask. I have a custom 808 in sitka/Aust blackwood and contrary to advice above, it is sensational acoustically....may need to be played in hard though mine was great from go... or stretch further to a Tommy! My 3 Maton 808s had fast, low action from the box, very loud pickup with eq and swept mid control. I personally prefer a preamp like my Fishman Pro EQ AS WELL to give more knobs!.....more control! Good luck.

BluesKing777.

Nice thoughts. Thanks man. What is it about the cedar top makes you feel its less durable? Ive never owned a cedar so I really dont know. Good to hear from someone who appreciates the maton stuff.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Nice thoughts. Thanks man. What is it about the cedar top makes you feel its less durable? Ive never owned a cedar so I really dont know. Good to hear from someone who appreciates the maton stuff.
Left you a message, negotiable . I know you didn’t ask me but My experience about Cedar top is that it’s less stiff or softer (or both) than sitka as I remember, it can handle some light strumming but if you do heavy strumming it won’t be as good and loud like other top. It’s very responsive to light touch so good for fingerstyle player that like its sound. The sound is more warm and dark but less articulate. Experience from a taylor cedar top 714. I hope it helps.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Default 00

I too am looking for the right 00 14 fret. I have played the CEO-7 bit didn’t care for the neck width. I like the 00-18. Have not found a 00-28 anywhere to play. I am thinking about saving up for a H&D or Collings in RW for my 50th birthday. I have two years to save up!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion