The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-11-2016, 06:47 AM

Default Help. How to repair cracks and split on Gibson J 45

I was looking for some advice on the best way to repair the dings and split on my Gibson J 45. I may end up taking it to a professional but was gonna try a few diy solutions first. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 09-11-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidephase View Post
I was looking for some advice on the best way to repair the dings and split on my Gibson J 45. I may end up taking it to a professional but was gonna try a few diy solutions first. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

If in doubt don't, your guitar looks far to nice to give it ago, if your not 100% sure you can pull it off!!! Failing that You Tube it!!!

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 AM

I think you should take that to a pro.

Here's a pic of how I do it on one that I am working on right now.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think you should take that to a pro.

Here's a pic of how I do it on one that I am working on right now.

Titebond?

Also, do you have to open the crack a little bit first to make sure it has a decent spread of glue on the inside of the joint before clamping?
Old 09-11-2016, 10:49 AM

Don't do anything to it. The dings are trivial. Put a few more in it so you can relax.

There is maybe a slight seam separation, which does not require immediate attention, and which you are much more likely to make worse than better. Keep an eye on it and if it spreads, find a good repair tech.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Yes I use Titebond. You would definitely need to get glue throughout the crack. As Howard said you may not have to be to concerned at the moment but if it's very loose and easy to push apart then it should get fixed imho. Is the guitar living in a dry climate at the moment? OR is it humid there?

We cannot see the real problem as we cannot hold the guitar in our hands that's why you really should take it to a pro, it's a nice guitar.

It's not exactly a hard job but it's easy to screw up too and it could potentially look awful.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:18 PM

As an aside, I just looked up titebond (I had never heard of it) and I was wondering if it has any dis/advantages over standard PVA glues like Aquadhere?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:02 PM

Cracks like that are often a sign of the wood drying out. If that is the case, first thing to do is humidify it. Anything beyond that I'd recommend taking it to a qualified tech.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Just to answer the questions, I recently purchased it and I'm going to be keeping it in a properly humidified room to prevent any further damage. Got it on the cheap so was just looking to see if I could correct some of the cosmetic damage. Thanks again for your replies!!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 AM

I never heard of Aquadhere before but I just looked it up. It's an interior PVA which sounds similar to Titebond so my guess is it's good enough. BUt you'd probably want to do some research on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
damage, gibson, j45, repair