The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Having been doing repairs for 25 plus years now I've seen a few things. Mostly of the recreational drug variety. I just don't say nothin.' Those rock and jazz musicians ya know.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:58 PM

Bought a used Taylor a few years ago that had a pick in it, when I finally bounced it out I found it had a pair of breasts printed on it. Haven't seen one like it before or since.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 PM

rattlesnake rattle. Ya I know it is a bluegrass thing but still weird.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:14 AM

Years ago, I was in a famous music shop in London when they were assessing an electric guitar (I think it was a Strat) which someone had brought in for a set up.

They removed the plate off the back and found a piece of paper folded up really small.

It turned out to be a purchase receipt for the guitar which said:

"Sold to Mr Jimi Hendrix for a special price"!
Old 08-13-2020, 05:31 AM

About seven years ago I picked up a used guitar off a guy I found on Craigslist. Nothing fancy, but a good price and worth a look. I liked it, so I bought it. I get home and I'm moving it from the case and hear stuff shifting around inside the guitar. My first thought was beach sand ( the guy lived in a beach house). So, I go outside and flip the guitar over and start shaking it. That's when about several years worth of nail clipping came tumbling out.. ...the guy must have had the habit of trimming his nails while in the mist of playing. Pretty gross.. but I cleaned it out and still have the guitar,lol.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-13-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Quite a large bag of marijuana.
I had a roach fall out while was trying to retrieve a pick I dropped.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:53 AM

Not in a used guitar but in a factory fresh Taylor 717. One day i heard this weird rattle and freaked out thinking i had sprung a brace or something. Took the strings off and started fishing around. Out pops this plastic cover of some sort that perfectly fit the soundhole. I think it was some cover left over from the finishing process. I cant believe it was wedged up in there and never got noticed.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 08-13-2020, 09:27 AM

A barcalounger and a table lamp. I thought those skits on TV, pulling an oversized object out from some smaller object, were special effects for the purpose of comedy, but I now know that it's a real thing. Color me shocked.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:46 AM

This story may be well known, but when Joan Baez had her old Martin 0-45 repaired the luthier found that someone had written "too bad your a communist" inside of the guitar.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:35 AM

I heard that the guy who bought the old Tele I played way back when found something interesting stashed under the pickguard. But for me it was a rattlesnake tail which I found in one of my old Gibsons. I know fiddlers used to sometimes stick them in their instruments saying it did something for the sound. It would take a whole lot of them to have any impact on a guitar though. Others claim they were put in there to discourage critters from moving in. Still others say there was something else at work. While I am not superstitious, I just let it be.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:01 AM

On another forum someone bought a guitar from the late Walter Becker of Steely Dan. There was a pair of his socks in the case.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimshot View Post
On another forum someone bought a guitar from the late Walter Becker of Steely Dan. There was a pair of his socks in the case.
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer wanted to trade Anthony Quinn's undershirt for Jerry's van.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:53 AM

Newspaper classified section from 50's showing White rentals and Colored rentals in separate sections.
'01 Olympia OD-38SWR Dread prototype
'86 Bacon F-style mandolin
'05 Tacoma C-10 Thunderchief bass
'04 Olympia OB-5 bass
All of the above are all solid wood except for the laminated sides of the Tacoma Jumbo and the OB-5 which is all laminate.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Well, I just bought a used Eastman OM (received today). There was something rattling inside and when I turned it upside down expecting a wayward pick, the keys to the case came out. No idea why those would be in there.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:45 PM

Not a guitar, but an upright bass I bought from one of the deacons at the church where we got married...

Got it back to our apartment, set it up in the living room...

Next day a waterbug the size of an Escalade comes crawling out of the f-hole...

Caught the bug, didn't know if he had family living in there so we wound up getting rid of it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion