The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
I'm going to start utilizing this one for my questions.

Are luthiers at Guitar Center reliable? If they even have luthiers at all?
Depends on the specific store and what sort of work you need done. I don't think GC employs anyone who would be considered a luthier except maybe at their big time flagship locations (the Hollywood location here in LA for instance). For the most part they'd just be guitar techs or repair people.

Anyway, if your guitar just needs something simple like sanding the saddle down to lower the action, changing pickups in an electric, etc then that's something I'd trust them to handle, at least on a cheaper guitar. Probably wouldn't take a vintage/expensive guitar there for anything unless I knew the repair person. But they are generally competent enough to handle the easy stuff.

That said, you're in a pretty big metro area, I'm sure there are some better shops/individual repair people who would be more reliable than GC. I'd recommend finding someone who can handle bigger repair work and going to them even for small things, so you can build a rapport for sometime down the road when you need work done that you wouldn't trust GC to do.

Last edited by Lkristians; 08-13-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I'm going to start utilizing this one for my questions.

I don't know of any Guitar Center stores that have luthiers.

A Luthier is one who builds guitars/violins/etc. Most of the GC stores have a repair technician who can repair or upgrade instruments, but I haven't seen one who actually builds them.

I know this is picky, but I think it's better to use the word "Luthier" properly, and address those who fix guitars as repair technicians.

Lastly, the quality of work performed at GC varies store to store. There are some who do excellent work and others who, sadly, don't.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 08-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
My luthier/tech says that fixing the problems created by Guitar Center's tech give him a good chunk of his income. I've been inclined to believe him.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
My luthier/tech says that fixing the problems created by Guitar Center's tech give him a good chunk of his income
My luthier said exactly the same AND I was one of the ones with a GC problem he fixed!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch guys. I'll try to limit how much I ask because I can ask all day...
Don't limit it now.!! You've got a great streak going.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:24 PM

Has anyone ever tried using Fretboard F-One Oil on their guitar?

Another member just PM'd me and asked if I ever wanted to darken my fretboard, and that it is irreversible. I would have to use it on my bridge so it matches as well...

I believe my fretboard is made of mahogany.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:07 PM

I've used F-One oil for a number of years. Nowadays I tend to use Gorgomyte cloth on the fretboards but still use the F-One on the bridge.

It's a good product. You should be happy with it.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 10-01-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
My luthier said exactly the same AND I was one of the ones with a GC problem he fixed!
I made some pretty good side money fixing the problems caused by GC guitar tech's. Even writing GC guitar tech is giving me cramps in my fingers.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:06 PM

i use F-One oil (Music Nomad brand) on my guitars. if it is darkening my fretboard, i can't tell (yet). i also use it on my bridge so no biggie i guess. i use it sparingly barely a drop every few frets at every restringing which is every few months. i hear dunlop has a good fretboard oil too.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:

I believe my fretboard is made of mahogany.
You may want to double-check this. Mahogany is pretty soft compared to more common fretboard materials. Mine are all either rosewood or ebony.

Didn't we determine, on the second post of this thread, that your fretboard is walnut?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
You may want to double-check this. Mahogany is pretty soft compared to more common fretboard materials. Mine are all either rosewood or ebony.

Didn't we determine, on the second post of this thread, that your fretboard is walnut?
Thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:50 PM

Here's a sequence of shots showing how F-One darkened a spare Rosewood bridge I had hanging around.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-01-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Here's a sequence of shots showing how F-One darkened a spare Rosewood bridge I had hanging around.

Oooh, don't think I like that.

I've never oiled anything on my guitars. Maybe I should. I don't want them to throw a rod or spin a bearing.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I don't know of any Guitar Center stores that have luthiers.

A Luthier is one who builds guitars/violins/etc. Most of the GC stores have a repair technician who can repair or upgrade instruments, but I haven't seen one who actually builds them.

I know this is picky, but I think it's better to use the word "Luthier" properly, and address those who fix guitars as repair technicians.

Lastly, the quality of work performed at GC varies store to store. There are some who do excellent work and others who, sadly, don't.
I don't think it's being picky at all. There is a huge difference between being able to build a guitar from scratch (a luthier) and doing basic repairs and maintenance (a tech). It's like the difference between a chef and a short-order cook. I like to shop at GC, but they would not be my first choice for repair work on my acoustic guitars. On the other hand, I would be OK taking my electric guitar to GC for repairs because Telecasters are pretty basic instruments.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

Last edited by pickinray; 10-03-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Depends on the specific store and what sort of work you need done. I don't think GC employs anyone who would be considered a luthier except maybe at their big time flagship locations (the Hollywood location here in LA for instance). For the most part they'd just be guitar techs or repair people.

Anyway, if your guitar just needs something simple like sanding the saddle down to lower the action, changing pickups in an electric, etc then that's something I'd trust them to handle, at least on a cheaper guitar. Probably wouldn't take a vintage/expensive guitar there for anything unless I knew the repair person. But they are generally competent enough to handle the easy stuff.

That said, you're in a pretty big metro area, I'm sure there are some better shops/individual repair people who would be more reliable than GC. I'd recommend finding someone who can handle bigger repair work and going to them even for small things, so you can build a rapport for sometime down the road when you need work done that you wouldn't trust GC to do.
I had a GC "luthier" tell me my electric guitar was humming because one or both of the pickups were defective and would have to be replaced. It turned out it was a short as the bridge post on one side was not connecting properly. Another guy fixed it for free when I had him do a setup. Way to go, GC!
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion