The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-26-2022, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Smallllll Amps. Orange Micro Dark?

Hey gents,

I have a Blues Jr, and it’s kind of overkill at home. I don’t want to get rid of it, because I may be sitting in with a band or two this year.

I did buy a Fender Mustang Micro Personal amp after reading the reviews here, but it doesn’t cut it for me. It’s too hard for me to see and change effects. I can suck it up, or I can pick up something called the Orange Micro Dark.

That amp has a headphone with cab sim, and I could also take it and a small speaker cabinet and leave it down at my vacation shack.

Everything I read talks about what a metal box this is… but I’m not really a metal player. I want lots of tones. Any experience out in our community about this Orange Micro Dark? Your thoughts?

I am editing to also say that I wish I ordered that 68 Vibro Champ. I think it would have hit the sweet spot.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 01-26-2022 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:12 AM

I've got the feeling that Orange Micros can get pretty loud too. Aren't they also overkill?

My 1 Watt Marshall DSL1 is plenty loud for playing in an apartment - in the reduced power setting. Otherwise, I like to use a preamp pedal with speaker emulation, plugged into some computer speakers.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 01-26-2022, 08:20 AM

I think we’re in a similar search, Sal. I considered the Mustang Micro, but it has more voices that I wouldn’t use than ones I would.

I had a Champion 20 (good sound, but a bit thin sounding) a Champion 40 (didn’t have the sound I was after).

I’m going to look at the Supro amp with the 10” speaker. Sort of a one trick pony, I guess, but I love a warm, rich blues tone. We’ll see how it sounds.
Steve DeRosa mentioned the Bugera 22 watt model. They’re great sounding, but a bit big (and heavy) I guess. I may track one down and try it.
I played a 68 Vibro Champ the other day and wasn’t thrilled with the tone. Maybe it was the (smallish) room I was in, but I didnt love it.

Believe it or not, I’m playing through my Fishman Loudbox temporarily, and the clean jazz-like tones are pretty sweet. I add a delay pedal for some cool rockabilly.

Boy, the hassles of being a guitar hero….overwhelming. ; ).
Old 01-26-2022, 08:46 AM

The Dark is a kind of a one trick pony really. so you'd still need pedals and stuff.

Have you thought about a small mustang combo NOT the headphone version?

I had one of the earlier ones, I think they are really good for "in home" practice amps. but the one I had was power full enough to gig with.

What about the yamaha THR models?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 01-26-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:20 AM

Some like to plug an attenuator between amp and speaker, to reduce sound levels of an amp that they otherwise like. The amp is still working but all the power doesn't reach the speaker.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 01-26-2022, 02:23 PM

Orange micro dark is definitely high gain and impossibly loud. Great tone, but I’m not sure if it’s what you’re looking for.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:56 PM

For that particular trick I bought myself one of those little Vox MV-50 amps (back when Sweetwater had them for $140) - I got the AC one. It has a sufficient amount of variation on the gain and volume to do a very credible job of giving me what I need.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
For that particular trick I bought myself one of those little Vox MV-50 amps (back when Sweetwater had them for $140) - I got the AC one...
Played a Beatles tribute night at a small local club with one of these and a Randall RG8 cab - very credible tone, with plenty of volume if you need it...
Old 01-27-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Depending on your budget

The REVV D 20 @ $1,199 ticks a significant amount of boxes;;
Lunch Box style 9 lbs

Good solid 20 watt tube tone at any level. Can give you anything from clean Jazz,, to Country chime,, to Hard Rock crunch.

Features ::
20/4W all-tube guitar amp head
Built-in technology from the cabinet-emulation masters at Two Notes
6 customizable virtual cabinets selectable via the front panel (128 via MIDI)
Bypass the tube power amp and replace it with a simulated power section
Reactive load automatically engages when a speaker isn’t present to safeguard the amp (and HP jack for silent playing)
3-band EQ, and Volume and Gain controls offer straightforward tone shaping
Push-pull gain pot for a crunchier voicing
Power-reduction circuit nails cranked tones at appropriate volume levels
Buffered series FX loop makes integrating pedals and external effects easy
Switchable 4/8-ohm speaker jack plays nice with a variety of cabinets
Easily accessible bias test and fuse

And access to Two Notes software and website for hundreds of downloadable Cabinet option that you can put into 6 selectable positions

Can go direct to a PA without a cabinet or can power a speaker cab for anything from bedroom to small to mid size venues

Here is mine (Red was limited edition) with a 2X12 vertical Port City cabinet but honestly since Covid I use it much more with Headphones so as not to disturb the family

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-27-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks gents.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:06 PM

What about a Supro Delta King?? I recently picked up the DK 12 and so far so good for playing at home.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Is there a cab you can pair with the micro dark - that might emphasize a less boxy and cleaner (fender) like tone?
Old 02-01-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Is there a cab you can pair with the micro dark - that might emphasize a less boxy and cleaner (fender) like tone?
No, not really. Orange tone is it's own thing. I have owned and gigged Micro Terror for years. You can get cleans from the Micro Dark & M. Terror, but you have to dime the volume and cut the gain way back. Even then, it's not super clean but close enough.Even though these are both hybrid amps, they still need to be pushed, like a full tube amp to get the best tone out of them.

Have you considered something like the Blackstar HT-1R MKii? Great cleans and a nice drive channel. ISF control can give you American (Fender-ish) tone or Britsish (vox-ish) tone. Also has reverb, which the Orange does not. I happen to prefer the Orange tone to Fender. Their Crush series sound amazing for ss. Beautiful cleans and all the grind most people would ever want in the dirty channel. I also have the Orange Crush 35RT - it's a killer amp. I sold a Fender Super Champ to buy it and have no regrets. The 20rt may be a viable choice for you too.....

The Micro Dark has essentially the same volume as the Blues Jr with WAY less clean headroom.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-01-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks royler

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars