The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-08-2021, 07:33 AM

Cool Matsuda Guitars (SIX of them?!)

Hey guys, it’s been quite a while since I’ve last posted here on the AGF. Hope everyone has been coping well during this global pandemic and it’s heartwarming to see so many regulars still posting here! Can’t wait to connect with some of you guys again at guitar shows

I hope my return is welcome as I bring a showcase of not one, not two… but SIX Matsuda Guitars!

Very seldom do these guitars pop up for sale in the market, especially his rarer deconstructed models. We will be slowly revealing each of these guitars in their full glory, both on Instagram and YouTube, so do keep a lookout for it! One video is currently available here (with many more to come):

In the meantime, feast your eyes on these amazing works of art. More pictures are available on our website here so do check them out!

To start with, here are some group shots of the Matsudas we had in the shop. You can clearly see how happy I am to be sitting amongst so many guitars from the legendary Michihiro Matsuda. You really have to see these guitars in person to understand how insane they are! You can't begin to fathom how Michi-san put them together, let alone conceive the ideas in the first place.

Stay tuned for more drool inducing eye candy in the coming posts!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-09-2021, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Very cool post and great instruments, the two Matsuda Guitars I had were very special!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:56 AM

Six Matsudas, holy smoke!
Old 07-10-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

What a baller Marcus! They all look exquisite. Someone should buy them all and keep them intact as a "set".

Hope you are doing well!
Old 07-10-2021, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

-Mike
Old 07-14-2021, 02:25 AM

This is an incredible collection. Pure art.

Michi Matsuda is the most creative luthier alive. He is an artist and is able to work with wood like no one else.
He's following the influences of his mentors Ervin Somogyi, Taku Sakashta and others but with his own personality/creativity and purity.
I have played some of his guitars over the years and in my opinion his tone is more consistent than ever and as espectacular as the designs.

Congratulations having those guitars in the same place to try and compare and hope that you find the perfect new home for them.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie View Post

Michi Matsuda is the most creative luthier alive. He is an artist and is able to work with wood like no one else.
He's following the influences of his mentors Ervin Somogyi, Taku Sakashta and others but with his own personality/creativity and purity.
I have played some of his guitars over the years and in my opinion his tone is more consistent than ever and as espectacular as the designs.

Congratulations having those guitars in the same place to try and compare and hope that you find the perfect new home for them.
II can only agree that Matsuda is a guitar making genius and there is no idea that he cannot turn into a guitar that breaks every pre conception of what a guitar should look like. He is undoubtedly the greatest of Somogyi's ex students and the one who has gone the furthest to develop his own aesthetic style that is totally different form his former master's style.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Very cool post and great instruments, the two Matsuda Guitars I had were very special!
On top of looking absolutely incredible, Matsudas sound the part as well! He has quite a diverse sound profile that he goes for, but even if it's not one that I personally enjoy, I can still appreciate the quality of the sound he achieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation1 View Post
Six Matsudas, holy smoke!
Tell me about it! Truly a memorable moment for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
What a baller Marcus! They all look exquisite. Someone should buy them all and keep them intact as a "set".

Hope you are doing well!
Thanks! As well as anyone can hope to be doing during times like these. Whoever gets to own so many exquisite instruments should count themselves lucky. Unfortunately, the set is broken up as 3 of them have already sold

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-20-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post

-Mike
Looks like the blue print

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
II can only agree that Matsuda is a guitar making genius and there is no idea that he cannot turn into a guitar that breaks every pre conception of what a guitar should look like. He is undoubtedly the greatest of Somogyi's ex students and the one who has gone the furthest to develop his own aesthetic style that is totally different form his former master's style.
Agreed guys! Matsuda is an absolute genius and I stand by it that if he were selling "Art that looks like guitars" instead of "Guitars that look like Art", his creations would be fetching much much more. Having put that in perspective, his guitars are arguably some of the most value for money things you can buy!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-20-2021, 08:03 AM

Default Matsuda "Gunpowder" Parlour

Let's start this showcase with the smallest guitar of the bunch - an awesome little parlour with Matsuda's signature Gunpowder scorched top! As you can hear from this demo, despite its really small body, the tone has quite a some depth to it. Too bad this little guy has already been sold~

Check out one of the coolest guitar finishes of all time. How badass is it to have your guitar scorched by gunpowder?

It is such a pity that a set of wood as nice as this is outshone by the rest of the features of the guitar. But the guitar wouldn't be complete without a nice set of back/sides - Cambodian Rosewood. And that black neck!

How about a Wenge bridge? Talk about unique

This is actually one of my favourite parts of the guitar. This etched and engraved metal back plate. And the headstock, tuners, what a beauty.

I know the label reads 2012, but doesn't it still look so futuristic??

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 AM

2nd in line is Matsuda's signature Drop-D which I loved so much and had incorporated into my own personal custom guitar. Look at the mastery that went into building this beauty. It features an incredible set of Brazilian Rosewood too. Check out the carved heel feature as well. Every time you look at one of Michihiro's guitars, you notice something entirely new again.

This is the only acoustic guitar of his that we have left available at the shop and it has nearly sold multiple times. Just a matter of time before a deserving player picks this bad boy up!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-09-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

WOW....
Thanks for sharing these incredible photos
Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-09-2021, 10:32 AM

Thanks for sharing. Matsuda is a magician.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:20 AM

A classic Matsuda M1 - Looks boring compared to the rest of the crazy work he has built, but do not be deceived, this is one of the most enjoyable ones - a no frills tone machine. But it would be wrong to say it is not a beautifully designed guitar as well, just look at it! This might be one of his very first guitars he has built, but you can still tell that it is 100% a Matsuda, and it doesn’t look/sound too far off from his more recent works either. It really goes to show that the maestro had already perfected his design and sound right from the get go. I’ll leave some photos below for you to admire his workmanship!

And here is a video demo of how good it sounds!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
deconstructed, drop d, electric, matsuda, somogyi